Music stuff to do and see in Nashville TN?

What's Hot
MtBMtB Frets: 922
edited October 2019 in Off Topic
I'm off to the USA  shortly for a couple of weeks holidays. We will be doing a road trip that sees us stopping off at Nashville for a couple of days. Are there any particularly good music related places/guitar shops/bars/venues that are worth a visit?

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26963
    Shops - Carter Vintage was my favourite and Gruhn's second place. Rumbleseat is on the same road as both of those so you might as well pop in there too for some eyewaterinw vintage stuff. Corner Music and Guitar Center are both good for new stuff and a little bit of used. 

As for tourist stuff, we did the Musicians Hall of Fame which was great. They also had a Rolling Stones exhibit in there at the time, but I assume that's finished now. I would have liked to do RCA Studio B but you had to buy a combined ticket with (iirc) the Country Music HOF, which we didn't have time for, so we gave that a miss, sadly.

I would highly recommend getting yourself in the Ryman either for a tour or gig or whatever. We went for the Opry Country Classics and while super-country it was a fantastic night out and phenomenal musicians all round. Jason Isbell is playing a 7-night run there starting tomorrow, so if you're going to be there then I'd be falling over myself to get a ticket for that.

Where else are you headed? We did DC to Nashville last year via the Blue Ridge & Smokey Mountains and had a fantastic time. Happy to give more tips if you're in that direction at all.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Third Man Records!!!!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Third Man Records!!!!
    We popped in there but it felt more like a Jack White shop than anything else, tbh. 

I have just remembered food though - Peg Leg Porker's BBQ is just round the corner and is some of the bets food I've ever had. Completely essential. And try Hattie B's for authentic Nashville Hot Chicken.
  • Third Man Records!!!!
    We popped in there but it felt more like a Jack White shop than anything else, tbh. 
    In fairness it is his shop :) 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14218
    edited October 2019 tFB Trader
    @CountryDave is a good guy for info on this as well I believe
    Third Man Records!!!!
    In fairness it is his shop :) 
    Yes, of course. I wasn't expecting much else. And I would have gladly bought a t-shirt if I'd liked the designs more. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

If you are there on a Monday, get tickets to see the Time Jumpers at 3rd & Lindsley. You'll need to book in advance.

Roberts Western World is the only bar on Broadway that has Country Music all day / night.

Country Music Hall of Fame is great too.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    @stickyfiddle that sounds pretty much like the route we'll be doing, but starting from Norfolk VA, then up to Charlottesville, along the ridge of the smokey mountains then heading for Nashville, Chattanooga, Biltmore, and then back up to Norfolk.
    MtB said:
    @stickyfiddle that sounds pretty much like the route we'll be doing, but starting from Norfolk VA, then up to Charlottesville, along the ridge of the smokey mountains then heading for Nashville, Chattanooga, Biltmore, and then back up to Norfolk.
    Nice! It's a gorgeous bit of the world. We stopped in Charlottesville just for fuel and groceries at Trader Joe's! Norfolk VA is lovely - I played a gig there in an awesome record shop (sadly now gone :( ) when touring in about 2006. 

Asheville is worth a drive through as well if you're in the area. Great food all over the place and the Moog factory :D :D 

• Roberts Western World! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you have time in Nashville, call in Carters Vintage Guitars. A ridiculous amount of very tasty instruments.
    Broadway is worth a wander, bands on from early morning to early the following morning.
    Country Music Hall of Fame is a great setup and if you are doing this, tag on the Studio B tour too.
    The Ryman is worth doing the self guided tour.
    Depending on what nights you are staying there is the Grand Old Opry and sometimes shows at the Ryman too.
    We got a multi pass from the tourist centre by the Bridgestone arena that got us into the CMHOF, Studio B, Ryman and a few other bits for $75.
    We were there over a weekend and ended up catching a Sunday show by the Stone Fox Five at The Local, about a mile or so from Broadway. The band was incredible with Chris Scruggs on Lead vocal, Kenny Vaughan on Guitar. No cover charge, cheap drinks, just tip the band.
    Have a great trip.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Thanks for the suggestions all.