Def Leppard live in 1980

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
One for the "everything from Pyromania onwards has been shit" brigade...

Anniversary release of "On Through the Night" with a live gig recording from 1980.

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/def-leppard-to-release-1980-concert-as-a-live-album/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I saw the Pete Willis line up ( I seem to remember trying to work out if it was a woman or a man). Looks like 6th April 1980 from a quick Google, so three weeks earlier than that. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774

I've pretty much stopped buying re-releases and deluxe editions, but I might get this.

And yes, I'm definitely one of the "everything from Pyromania onwards has been shit" (rock) brigade.

(Although more realistically - and I think factually - everything from Adrenalize onwards has been shit.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I rather like Slang as an album. Then realised how old that album actually is, despite me thinking it's a recent DL record. Bloody hell I'm old.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    My first concert - in about 1980 - was Def Leppard supported by Tygers of Pan Tang and Magnum at Manchester Apollo.

My ears are still recovering.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw them twice at Manchester Free Trade Hall, once supporting the Scorpions and once supporting Sammy Hagar!
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader
    So does this mean the current guitarists in the band will receive no royalties from this release?

I have been listening to the best of album recently, when the last song comes , bringing on the heartbreak, the tone and feel of the production is so much more classic rock, love it
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2019
    So does this mean the current guitarists in the band will receive no royalties from this release?

Pete Willis is still alive so I would hope he gets royalty payments for the early stuff, likewise the estate of the late great Steve Clark. Depends on a lot of things though, and I'm sure they had a really bad contract to start with (they were kids when that debut came out).

Still, it does looks like Phil Collen could do with a few quid, poor guy can't even afford to keep the shirt on his back ;-)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    Ooh - it has early versions of Let It Go and Lady Strange too
    I loved Def Lepp up till Hysteria - first gig I saw them at was Pyromania tour though

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    I feel like a Johnny-come-lately, I never saw them live until the first leg of the Hysteria tour.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I love all their stuff really, they have been a huge part of my life. The problem is, I think I have heard all of this before, and I am not sure if I want to be forking out for physical media any more? 
  • Eric_CEric_C Frets: 52
    I was given a free ticket into the Ulster Hall Belfast around this time to see Def Leppard..support band was Rose Tattoo. Also watched Gary Moore in the same venue a few weeks later followed by Rory Gallagher a few days later...oh the times we had 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31570
    I saw them a couple of weeks before that, I sincerely hope the recording isn't "warts and all", they were bloody awful. 
    Well it arrived yesterday. Nice packaging, bigger than I expected. 

Only managed to listen to the live disc so far and it’s great, so much energy, and the playing is spot on. No idea how much post production has been done but if they have they’ve done a cracking job.