Classical inspired rock music - recommendations

What's Hot
Been doing study stuff of late and had music on in the background, lots of Radiohead and Jeff Buckley in particular. Got me wondering though if there might be any good classical influenced rock music I'm missing out on - I hear the textures and the drama in Jeff Buckley music in particular and the dynamics that are missing in my usual garage rock listening, and the melody and harmony progressions that are more classically inspired rather than the three chord trick. Quite transcendental rather than punching you in the chest. 

So, what have you that might fit that bill in similar ways so I don't overdo the Buckley/Radiohead listening?

No cheesy string quartets playing classical music to a rock back track please, don't tend to like prog or metal but if you think I might be surprised then by all means go for it

Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fobfob Frets: 1430
    Randy Rhoads seems to be the obvious suggestion.
  • fob said:
    Randy Rhoads seems to be the obvious suggestion.
    The Ozzy Osbourne guitarist?
    One and the same - arguably a classical guitarist who got a better paying side job.
  • fob said:
    One and the same - arguably a classical guitarist who got a better paying side job.
    Ahh I see, I'm not really after classical guitar as such to be honest - though just listened to a bit of a video and it just sounded like how I'd expect an Ozzy band to sound rather than sounding classically inspired! I might be missing something though
  • vizviz Frets: 10645
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yngwie, joe stump,
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    My mind went to various metal guitarists who did the classical influenced thing like Randy and Yngwie but I’m not sure they’re where you’d want to go. 

I’ll make a simplistic suggestion: Rodrigo Y Gabriela. Two flamenco/ classical guitarists bringing in rock sensibilities. 

The other thought was Frank Zappa as he was trying to incorporate rock and blues with ideas from modern classical and the avant garde. Big, big back catalogue and some of it is ( arguably*) a bit guitar wankery, some of it has dated humour but he was probably the most adventurous ‘rock’ musician ever. Comedian John Robins uses the Zappa track Peaches en Regalia for his theme tune on his BBC Radio 5 show which is a good track to show what Zappa could contour up early in his career and as it’s instrumental no jokes about cheese. 

There’s a couple of minutes silence at the end of that for some reason. 

This one is more my period Zappa ( I was very disturbed in my youth)

https://youtu.be/1LQrj2EB6ng

but there’s just a huge range of Zappa material. 

* I’m not trying to get on the wrong side of Zappa fans! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Ekseption

I prefer the italian take on it, more operatic. Lots to choose from if you dig into the Rock Progressivo Italiano(RPI) world.

I'll offer up Picchio Dall Pozzo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2kMlQp1ct8

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Any symphonic metal , nightwish
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I would say it's difficult to have classically inspired Rock without it being prog.

Nightwish for sure.

Michael Schenker and Ritchie Blackmore seem to have heard Bach at some point in their lives.

Some of Renaissance's work draws from classical.

Rick Wakeman.

Sky, if you're looking for something more sanitised.

Some of the jazz rock bands had classical leanings.

Deep Purple/Jon Lord's Concerto is a fine album.

The Moody Blues did some good stuff.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3614
    Some bits of King Crimson, Godspeed! You Black Emperor are the first two that come to mind. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Anything that Keith Emerson's been within fifty feet of.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    edited October 2019
    Quite a bit of the Focus repertoire is classically based. Here’s a random find on YouTube:
    https://youtu.be/uBwQIVcD98o
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71959
    edited October 2019
    Apocalyptica

Finns with cellos who started out playing Metallica covers, then expanded their repertoire... if you've never heard heavily distorted cello before, this is probably where to start!

www.youtube.com/user/ApocalypticaVideos

(Copy and paste that, I can't get the Youtube link to work for some reason...)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited October 2019
    Thanks all some to look up here I think! Interesting as always as to what different people perceive or associate with classical inspired music

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 586
    Procol Harum had a thing for symphony orchestras.
    Thanks all some to look up here I think! Interesting as always as to what different people perceive or associate with classical inspired music

I was thinking about the original brief and wondered if classical might have been a red herring of sorts. Concentrating more on Buckley and Radiohead might be more fruitful for you. I'll suggest Half Moon Run and Tamino:

• fob said:

I was thinking about the original brief and wondered if classical might have been a red herring of sorts. Concentrating more on Buckley and Radiohead might be more fruitful for you. I'll suggest Half Moon Run and Tamino:

I kind of know what you mean because I didn't particularly express myself very well in what I meant. I know Buckley and Radiohead aren't literally classically based in terms of notes played and sung but the kind of expressive transcendental attitude of their performances and arrangements are what I listen for in classical, which I don't really get when listening to classical influenced metal etc which seems to focus on basically sounding like Pagnini on electric guitar.

This for example - obviously not classical in form or note-wise, but so melodramatic and expressive with emotion rather than technique and the intensity of that expression builds in a way I like to whilst playing classical piano. Almost completely losing the consciousness of it whilst it crescendos up. Admittedly it helps with Buckley's voice being such an outrageous instrument but I hear a lot of the romantic era soloists in his vocal style albeit with slightly less control for the dramatic effect.

Hopefully that helps explain what I mean! not necessarily classical music played on rock instruments, but the heart and scale of the music being used in different styles