Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Being 'in the room' with modellers

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    I don't like the whole thing through a PA in a small setting either. It's just not the same ..... I like things mic'ed and through the PA but hearing a bit of backline too. E drums are still a long way off unfortunately ... the kicks are passable but the snares never convincing 

As for volume ...Never apologize for being on stage 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No bass player?? That's what was missing ;-)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I saw a band on Saturday night which was almost the opposite problem. Keeping with drums+backline+vocal PA in a marquee. Sort of function band I guess so didn’t want to be deafening but the mix was a bit all over the place. Some nice gear but invested in the wrong place in terms of that audience. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No bass player?? That's what was missing ;-)
    LOL. I forgot to mention the bass player, who had a very small amp which was mounted at about waist height. So I assume was just being used as an onstage monitor.

It's not a competition.
  • It’s definitely the drums I reckon. If we’re playing a wedding and need to use the electric kit we make a point of telling the client so they know what to expect.

Nobody gives a crap what guitar amp or modeller you use.

If we use a proper kit then I like to have a little bit coming from a cab (I use a powered Kemper). A silent stage doesn’t work if everything’s silent apart from deafening drums.
  • Well for those of us who prefer not to be deafened by being in the boom line of an amp and who enjoy better mixed and almost "recording-like" sound then this sounds great
    Vicar of Dibley is on UK Gold.

Bye!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • No-one talks at our gigs, they're too busy being mesmerised by my thrusting crotch and the dick-shaped sound waves going in their ears. They bought a ticket, so it's consensual. 

Bye!

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    OP, was it this gig? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited October 2019
    p90fool said:
    OP, was it this gig? 

No, the room sound is too realistic in that clip :)

It's not a competition.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9699
    edited October 2019
    Well for those of us who prefer not to be deafened by being in the boom line of an amp and who enjoy better mixed and almost "recording-like" sound then this sounds great
    Vicar of Dibley is on UK Gold.
    Ha I am going to see that in a theatre next year, which I guess proves your point.

I do struggle with being able to hear loud stuff though, and I'm not old only early Thirtysomething, have always struggled with background noise and the louder stuff is the less likely I am to be able to hear it. Therefore silent or low volume stages are ideal for me when playing and the modelled "recording style" sound is better for me when listening to a gig also as I can actually hear it then
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    p90fool said:
    It's definitely the drums in my experience. The modellers with a real kit would probably EQ-ed differently in order to cut through, probably with a more mid-heavy, dare I say it boxy sound that's a bit more rock 'n' roll.

Electronic drums tend to leave a sonic space which enables everyone else to be smoother, more scooped and with all harshness (including the good stuff) removed. 

I did a three day session at Monnow Vale a couple of years ago where the drummer used a top-of-the-range Roland e-kit and it was the most depressing session of my life, despite the skill of all the pros involved. 
    +1. Not fussed about modellers/amps, and if I didn't know then I probably couldn't tell the difference. I use a modeller now and it's so much easier. Drums on the other hand...can't stand digital drums. We've had a drummer with a digital kit before, and whilst it's really handy for keeping the volume low at practice, it just doesn't sound the same. Especially live. 
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    edited October 2019
    100% agree on the drums front, that's what makes the difference in my opinion.

I've gone from modeller, to amps, and now back to modeller again.  The amps felt GREAT in big venues but realistically I wasn't playing them that often so I could never get consistency of sound ... or at least not in the time allotted for set-up & soundcheck (this was doing originals and/or festivals).  Some venues were so small it was genuinely detrimental to the sound. 

Now I have real control over the sound I want.  I never had issues with dodgy electrics effecting the amp either.  And if some dozy landlord unplugs me randomly, I know amp will be fine.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72256
    Bezzer said:

And if some dozy landlord unplugs me randomly, I know amp will be fine.
    That's actually more of an issue with digital gear than valve and old-school solid-state, they're both more or less immune to power-outs since the mains switch is exactly that... even turning off and back on again rapidly is very unlikely to do anything, especially to analogue solid-state.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• No-one talks at our gigs, they're too busy being mesmerised by my thrusting crotch and the dick-shaped sound waves going in their ears. They bought a ticket, so it's consensual. 

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 583
    ICBM said:
    Bezzer said:

And if some dozy landlord unplugs me randomly, I know amp will be fine.
    That's actually more of an issue with digital gear than valve and old-school solid-state, they're both more or less immune to power-outs since the mains switch is exactly that... even turning off and back on again rapidly is very unlikely to do anything, especially to analogue solid-state.
    I did not know that!  Learn something every day.