New neck or refret?

What's Hot
My US Standard Telecaster has been well loved over the years and the frets show it. Some look quite worn to me and may be due to be replaced. The questions is do I refret or just buy a new neck? It's a maple neck and i'm not that fond of the shape and I could get a Mex Nocaster Fat neck for less than £200, although that would need some work. Just wondering what folks thoughts are?
My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you liked the shape of the neck I'd have said refret. In actual fact in more cases than you'd think frets can be levelled to restore playability. (caveat being if you're like me and don't like low frets full stop)

If you're not a fan of the neck shape and it is potentially salvageable you could get the baseball bad neck, get it installed and re-worked as needed and then sell the current neck as spares/repair.

Just a thought.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I bought a guitar unsighted years ago and the frets were terrible, very worn and VERY low between 5th and 12th frets. It looked like someone had tried to level them when the neck wasn't straight. I thought that it was a big problem but I got a luthier to take a look. He reckoned that he could level them and recrown and it worked a treat. 

I'd do it myself now!

Like the neck and want to save money - fix it. Don't like it and happy to splash the cast - replace it. - or get it fixed and flog it to offset the cost of the new one.
  • I think i'll take it to Feline for a diagnosis. New neck and refret are both expensive but if they can be rescued i'll probably go that way. Thanks all.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Make certain that the heels of the USA and MIM necks are the same width. Otherwise, you could need a shim along the side of the pocket.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I think i'll take it to Feline for a diagnosis. New neck and refret are both expensive but if they can be rescued i'll probably go that way. Thanks all.
    5 minutes with a tech can save you all sorts of internet wormholes :) hopefully it can be crowned. Good luck
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Remember it will cost  to get a new neck fine-tuned
    Nut adjustment, full setup etc.
  • Remember it will cost  to get a new neck fine-tuned
    Nut adjustment, full setup etc.
    I'd figured that in, hopefuly some attention to the frets is all that's required.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader
    I think i'll take it to Feline for a diagnosis. New neck and refret are both expensive but if they can be rescued i'll probably go that way. Thanks all.
    you'll be very welcome here , and we'll give you solid straightforward advice with no obligations to do anything.
    Map out what options you have and let you make the decision that feels best for you.......
    If then we can be of assistance then we'd be delighted.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I think i'll take it to Feline for a diagnosis. New neck and refret are both expensive but if they can be rescued i'll probably go that way. Thanks all.
    you'll be very welcome here , and we'll give you solid straightforward advice with no obligations to do anything.
    Map out what options you have and let you make the decision that feels best for you.......
    If then we can be of assistance then we'd be delighted.
    Thanks for your message. I'll bring it in when I can.
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    I decided on my tele I am going to refret it. even if it's a mim tele and the cost of the neck is about the same as the refret, I feel a new neck will make it a different guitar and it's well worn in and I like the feel so hopefully the refert will prove to give it a whole new life. as currently it's a battle (somewhat enjoyable battle) playing it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom