Ngd early 80s strat

What's Hot
StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
edited October 2019 in Guitar
Hello.

Rare for me to have a ngd, these days it's all about synths, etc but when I went to exchange the arturia microfreak I bought at pmt, (it wasn't great tbh) I caught a glimpse of this 1983 Japanese squier,. 
Maple neck all original inc a period case.
It needs a back plate (if anyone know where to get one) but the main thing for me is how truly lovely it was to play, it's truly one of the best strats I have owned,  the pickups are totally stratty. 

D 
Here are the pics. 

http://imgur.com/a/m4Igc3h
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It looks like a nice guitar. The important thing is that you love it, and when you find something that feels and sounds right to you you don’t let it get away.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    That’s an SQ series (google it). Held in very high regard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    And if only you could play left handed, you’d be playing Woodstock!
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    gusman2x said:
    And if only you could play left handed, you’d be playing Woodstock!
    Ha it certainly has the look, theirs something abput a well used neck that can transform a guitar. 
    gusman2x said:
    That’s an SQ series (google it). Held in very high regard. 
    I csn see why, very resonant, and light, but with a real stratty tone, no need for a pickup change, totslly in love ..... Hopefully having a guitar which I want to pick up will push me to start playing properly again. 
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    Nice one! :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Congrats, nice looker too :)  

I'm a little surprised the pickups are so good. Perhaps they were better so early in the line, but the pickups in my (couple of years later) 80s Squier were junk and had to go. 
    edited November 2019
    clarkefan said:
    Congrats, nice looker too  

I'm a little surprised the pickups are so good. Perhaps they were better so early in the line, but the pickups in my (couple of years later) 80s Squier were junk and had to go.

After a lot of research it seems they are proper Alnico poles

As it's such an early squier they would I assume They are the same ones  used in  grecos or  were usa strat pickups..how'ver on more research they were decent proper pole piece  jap  single coils 
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Assuming they're the same as my '84ish SQ series the pickups will have plastic bobbins, but they are proper alnico rod pickups.
    Welcome to the SQ owners club.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Nice! I've got an Olympic White back plate from a Mexican Stratocaster kicking around somewhere. I assume it would fit - someone will confirm or not - and would happily post it to you if you'd like to make a donation to the forum coffers in return? 
    Fuengi said:
    Nice! I've got an Olympic White back plate from a Mexican Stratocaster kicking around somewhere. I assume it would fit - someone will confirm or not - and would happily post it to you if you'd like to make a donation to the forum coffers in return? 
    Of Course, thank you :D 
    normula1 said:
    Assuming they're the same as my '84ish SQ series the pickups will have plastic bobbins, but they are proper alnico rod pickups.
    Welcome to the SQ owners club.
    It's a good club to be in, I csn see why they get so much recognition, truly the best strat I have played 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Fuengi said:
    Of Course, thank you :D 
    DM me and I'll organise. Can check measurements for screw holes.