does this look right

What's Hot
phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

I bout a used MIM strat from ebay and I love it. but one thing is really bugging me.

the saddles don't seem to fit. to me the seem too wide. it is not really affecting anything but (does not show up well in the photo) the outer saddles are being pushed outwards so don't line up straight.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hard to tell from that angle, but measure up the spacing between each string vs the spacing between the saddle adjustment screws at the back of the trem. If they’re different then there’s a good chance it’s had the wrong saddles fitted at some point!
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18746
    You have a Roland fitted you lucky chap, so don't worry about the little stuff  ;)
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Might want to check intonation too...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Hard to tell from that angle, but measure up the spacing between each string vs the spacing between the saddle adjustment screws at the back of the trem. If they’re different then there’s a good chance it’s had the wrong saddles fitted at some point!

the outer 4 strings don't sit in the middle of the saddles so I am not sure measuring the string spacing is a good reference
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    There’s actually a gap between the G and D... that will be pushing the outer saddles outwards a bit.

Apart from that it looks fine to me, but they probably need adjusting for height and definitely for intonation.

The saddles should each be set flat, parallel to the baseplate, not following the string radius.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

You have a Roland fitted you lucky chap, so don't worry about the little stuff  ;)

I have not even tried the roland pick up as I don't have a syth to plug it into. I got the guitar at a good price as the roland was untested

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/165035/is-this-a-good-buy-and-is-it-genuine#latest

edited October 2019
    ICBM said:
    There’s actually a gap between the G and D... that will be pushing the outer saddles outwards a bit.

Apart from that it looks fine to me, but they probably need adjusting for height and definitely for intonation.

The saddles should each be set flat, parallel to the baseplate, not following the string radius.

there is a gap at the top but they are touching at the base and that is what made me think they could be the wrong size. I did try squeezing them in together.

everything looks original on the guitar and I cant think of a reason why you would change the saddles unless you changed the style of saddle. I may be just looking for fault where there is none

phil_b said:

there is a gap at the top but they are touching at the base and that is what made me think they could be the wrong size. I did try squeezing them in together.
    That’s what I meant - the saddles need to be set flat, not tilted outwards.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    phil_b said:

That’s what I meant - the saddles need to be set flat, not tilted outwards.
    it seems the grub screws have worn indents into the plate over time and they want to sit in the position they are in. I loosened thing off and got things lined up a little straight but they want to pop back into their old position when the tension in put back on
    phil_b said:

it seems the grub screws have worn indents into the plate over time and they want to sit in the position they are in. I loosened thing off and got things lined up a little straight but they want to pop back into their old position when the tension in put back on 
    That will probably fix itself when you adjust the intonation, since most of the saddles are going to be in a different position front-to-back as well.

Start with them set like this, it won’t be too far out -

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1480
    I seem to remember that the Roland GK Strats had die-cast saddles, so it is possible that someone has replaced them with a slightly wider one.   However the bent steel are the way to go.  Usually though when that happens, it looks much worse that what you have there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    PhilKing said:

Usually though when that happens, it looks much worse that what you have there.
    Exactly - I don't see any evidence of them being the wrong size, just set a bit crooked.

• ADPADP Frets: 184
    PhilKing said:
    I seem to remember that the Roland GK Strats had die-cast saddles, so it is possible that someone has replaced them with a slightly wider one.   However the bent steel are the way to go.  Usually though when that happens, it looks much worse that what you have there.

The US version had die-cast saddles and a two-point bridge. This is the Mexican version, so those are the original saddles.
    ICBM said:
    PhilKing said:

Usually though when that happens, it looks much worse that what you have there.
    Exactly - I don't see any evidence of them being the wrong size, just set a bit crooked.
    I tend to agree now. I think this guitar had been stored for a couple of years unplayed so probably would benefit from a full set up. The trem block is a thin type and not a full size one so I am tempted to fit a new bridge
    I finally solved the riddle. The saddles were indeed the wrong size. They are 10.8mm and that is the spacing for most USA strats. The correct size for a Mex strat is 10.5mm
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Did you ever get something to connect to the Roland GK electronics? I have a Roland GR-20 floor unit synthesizer going spare. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Did you ever get something to connect to the Roland GK electronics? I have a Roland GR-20 floor unit synthesizer going spare. 

I did buy a GR20. Lots of fun but I need to learn to play a bit better first so I'm just consentrating on playing through the normal pickups for now
    phil_b said:
    I finally solved the riddle. The saddles were indeed the wrong size. They are 10.8mm and that is the spacing for most USA strats. The correct size for a Mex strat is 10.5mm
    Interesting. The only time I've seen that done they didn't fit properly at all, which is why I didn't think yours were the wrong size. It appears there must be slight variations.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Much depends on how slack the fit is of the intonation screws through the holes in the lip of the vibrato baseplate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.