Is this big news for Electric vehicles?

What's Hot
https://cleantechnica.com/2019/10/20/uk-man-invents-aluminum-air-battery-in-his-garage/

If they can get the network and logistics set up to swap out the fuel cells to meet demand, and the pricing isn't too prohibitive, it seems like an ideal solution.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11445
    I'd be a bit careful about something that seems to have come from a Daily Mail report

They will have to get the price down significantly to make it viable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10395
    mmm Austin Electric turns up feck all on Google ..... I smell a rat !
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Mark1960Mark1960 Frets: 326
    Danny1969 said:
    mmm Austin Electric turns up feck all on Google ..... I smell a rat !

AUSTIN ELECTRICAL LTD

Company number 04387568

Registered office address
    C/O Aspreys Accountants Ltd 1607 Wellington Way, Brooklands Business Park, Weybridge, Surrey, United Kingdom, KT13 0TT
    Company status
    Active

Found this - not sure if it's the same company???
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    I'm willing to be that this single thing won't be the thing that changes the world, but between the thousands of people working on different technologies it's yet another step in the right direction. Energy Storage is the massive missing piece of the renewables puzzle, which I'm hoping will lead to a decentralisation of power generation across the world, which should be fantastic news for everyone who isn't a board member of an oil company.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1229
    On the surface, it appears positive news, but the details just don't stack up.
    £3500 to convert a vehicle just does not seem realistic to me, and shouts more of trying to grab attention, than of something that will be commercially sustainable. 

My guess is somebody is trying to build interest in a new company to hook investors.

Not directly vehicle related, but this looks like a useful idea:

Not sure how many old mineshaftes there are that would be suitable.  That would put limits on how many could built.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5614

It's such a shame that as a species humans are more concerned with profit than progress or even survival.

Imagine what we could have done had big oil not bought and shelved all those good ideas over the last 40/50 years? 

Imagine what we could do if everyone working on alternative energy pooled knowledge and resource and shared progress rather than keeping it top secret and protected in order to have the competitive edge for when the technology comes to market.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9577

The problem with electric cars is... they are cars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Wisdom.

Saw this in the Standard this morning:

Unbelievable.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The problem with electric cars is... they are cars.

As in, we should look at alternative means of transport? I agree. These fuel cells can work in buses and trams they reckon
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10264
    crunchman said:

Wisdom.

Saw this in the Standard this morning:

Unbelievable.

Not saying it's the case, but maybe the driver was on his/her way somewhere, and dropped the sprog off on the way out.

That's what I would have told the rozzers I was doing. 

Still shouldn't have parked like a nesbit though. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited October 2019
    crunchman said:

Not sure how many old mineshaftes there are that would be suitable.  That would put limits on how many could built.
    None. They all get filled in or capped. Unless your talking about centuries old mineshafts which would likely be in a very dangerous state and quite small. All the decent sized shafts >5m dia will have been capped.
    edited October 2019
    crunchman said:

Best of luck finding a winding rope capable of lifting 12000/24 = 500 tonnes. 

Found this research paper.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330997953_Gravity_energy_storage_with_suspended_weights_for_abandoned_mine_shafts#pf7

Where it mentions 3000t suspended mass. Cloud cuckoo land. 
    hywelg said:
    crunchman said:

Best of luck finding a winding rope capable of lifting 12000/24 = 500 tonnes. 

Found this research paper.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330997953_Gravity_energy_storage_with_suspended_weights_for_abandoned_mine_shafts#pf7

Where it mentions 3000t suspended mass. Cloud cuckoo land. 

This is talking about 14 tonnes breaking load on a 12mm rope.

Even allowing a factor of 5 for safety, that's around 3 tonnes.

If you doubled that to 24mm thickness, you would have 4 times the area, so you would be looking at 12 tonnes.

That's a long way short of 500 tonnes, but that's still a lot of energy.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30864
    Pass me my superglue and my hair shirt.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    What size of cables are used to hold up a suspension bridge?

OK, that's a different thing from being able to wind them around a drum for raising and lowering a weight... but those kinds of cables and weights are not beyond our current technology.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

OK, that's a different thing from being able to wind them around a drum for raising and lowering a weight... but those kinds of cables and weights are   not beyond our current technology.
    FTFY

Most mine skip winding  is of the order of 20-30 tonnes per skip, usually two skips per winder, one up one down. There is a diminishing return on rope diameter, the weight of the rope itself is a limiting factor. Thats why in the deepest mines theres usually a second shaft (called a staple shaft) starting at 1000m or so below ground. Output capacity is usually improved by faster winding speeds and automated operation.

This was on PM just now, I do wonder why no-one has taken the company to task about the stupidity of the basic assessment. Aparently HM Inspectorate of Mines and Quarries (I have a mate who's a Mines Inspector, both of us worked in British Coal up to 1993) were approached about it last year and they dismissed it as implausible based on the maintenance costs alone ( new winding ropes every three years, capel renewed every six months, daily inspections of winding ropes by qualified staff, weekly inspections of shaft hardware etc.etc.) And if theres going to be a significant store of energy theres going to need to be a method of automatically detaching the weights and storing them above ground and in the shaft bottom.  We're talking multi-million pound investments, probably into the 100's of millions.

hywelg said:

FTFY

Most mine skip winding  is of the order of 20-30 tonnes per skip, usually two skips per winder, one up one down. There is a diminishing return on rope diameter, the weight of the rope itself is a limiting factor. Thats why in the deepest mines theres usually a second shaft (called a staple shaft) starting at 1000m or so below ground. Output capacity is usually improved by faster winding speeds and automated operation.

This was on PM just now, I do wonder why no-one has taken the company to task about the stupidity of the basic assessment. Aparently HM Inspectorate of Mines and Quarries (I have a mate who's a Mines Inspector, both of us worked in British Coal up to 1993) were approached about it last year and they dismissed it as implausible based on the maintenance costs alone ( new winding ropes every three years, capel renewed every six months, daily inspections of winding ropes by qualified staff, weekly inspections of shaft hardware etc.etc.) And if theres going to be a significant store of energy theres going to need to be a method of automatically detaching the weights and storing them above ground and in the shaft bottom.  We're talking multi-million pound investments, probably into the 100's of millions.
    I don't doubt any of that... except the bit where you corrected me incorrectly :).

Cables capable of supporting those kinds of loads *do* exist already - for example the Forth bridge has main cables each carrying a load of 13,800 tonnes. Whether the technology exists to use cables that size to lift and lower weights isn't the same question, and that may well be an assumption that the proponents have made without working it out properly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    hywelg said:

FTFY

I don't doubt any of that... except the bit where you corrected me incorrectly :).

Cables capable of supporting those kinds of loads *do* exist already - for example the Forth bridge has main cables each carrying a load of 13,800 tonnes. Whether the technology exists to use cables that size to lift and lower weights isn't the same question, and that may well be an assumption that the proponents have made without working it out properly.
    No, I am correct. Those cables you cited are not vertical, for one, and they are short. A mine shaft thats going to be of any use will be 300-600m deep. Much less and the stored energy won't be worth the effort.  A cable you cite will break under its own weight well before it gets to the bottom, and its definitely not going to be possible to bend it around a 5m winder drum.
    hywelg said:

No, I am correct. Those cables you cited are not vertical, for one, and they are short. A mine shaft thats going to be of any use will be 300-600m deep. Much less and the stored energy won't be worth the effort.  A cable you cite will break under its own weight well before it gets to the bottom, and its definitely not going to be possible to bend it around a 5m winder drum. 
    If you read what I posted in the first place, I said...

ICBM said:

What size of cables are used to hold up a suspension bridge?

OK, that's a different thing from being able to wind them around a drum for raising and lowering a weight... but those kinds of cables and weights are not beyond our current technology.
    Which is correct. The fact is that cables capable of carrying loads of 12,000 tonnes and more do exist. I also never said anything about the size of a winder drum.

I don't doubt at all that the proposal is impractical/impossible as it stands currently, on the scale they're talking about.