Early 80s Les Paul Standards - Advice

What's Hot
tony99tony99 Frets: 7105
I'm thinking about laying my hands on a standard from around my birth year, (it's really just a dream at this point as I've no dough and I'm having to sell to buy) but I would like it to be a Gibson Les Paul standard as I think customs are gonna be pretty much out of reach.

Any advice on what to look out for on instruments from around that time period? Also any advice on valuation for decent examples, obviously wouldn't get pristine ones, but you know, clean enough, no breaks ???

Advice, as always, is appreciated.
Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    The necks are pretty thin at the nut!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited October 2019

Norlin-era LPs are some of my favourites.

Neck-breaks (as long as they've been repaired properly) are nothing to worry about at all - other than that, the main consideration is that it's reflected in the price. I'd have no worries purchasing one (and have done, many times). If you're buying one as a birth-year keeper, you won't have to worry about resale, either.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7105

Norlin-era LPs are some of my favourites.

Neck-breaks (as long as they've been repaired properly) are nothing to worry about at all - other than that, the main consideration is that it's reflected in the price. I'd have no worries purchasing one (and have done, many times). If you're buying one as a birth-year keeper, you won't have to worry about resale, either.
    rough idea on price?
  • Be prepared for a heavy axe. I had a beautiful 1980 Standard (birth year) in natural that I got from Norms Rare Guitars. Sounded fabulous and the pickups (either T Tops or Shaws) were great. But it weighed a ton.

Over 12 lbs and impossible to play standing up for any length of time. When I decided to let it go I took a bath on the resale as I only got about 1300 for it (in 2015). If you end up with an early 80s standard you may find the frets rather flat (even without accounting for wear) if you’re used to beefy frets.

Early 80s Tokais and Grecos are more faithful to vintage spec LPs and can still be found for reasonable prices. I’ve owned a few but after scratching the ‘old guitar’ itch have ended up keeping 2 new single cuts that just play and sound better than any of the old ones I’ve played (including 50s examples).

I understand the pull of a birth year guitar but don’t (as I did) fall into the trap of thinking that you can’t get the sound and feel you want from a contemporary single cut.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Be prepared for a heavy axe. I had a beautiful 1980 Standard (birth year) in natural that I got from Norms Rare Guitars. Sounded fabulous and the pickups (either T Tops or Shaws) were great. But it weighed a ton.

Over 12 lbs and impossible to play standing up for any length of time. When I decided to let it go I took a bath on the resale as I only got about 1300 for it (in 2015). If you end up with an early 80s standard you may find the frets rather flat (even without accounting for wear) if you’re used to beefy frets.

Early 80s Tokais and Grecos are more faithful to vintage spec LPs and can still be found for reasonable prices. I’ve owned a few but after scratching the ‘old guitar’ itch have ended up keeping 2 new single cuts that just play and sound better than any of the old ones I’ve played (including 50s examples).

I understand the pull of a birth year guitar but don’t (as I did) fall into the trap of thinking that you can’t get the sound and feel you want from a contemporary single cut.
    Tried one the other day that was indeed a heavy beast, it played really nicely and the action was super low but that made it a little hard to judge for me as I do actually prefer a higher action on LP's. The pick ups were fab though, they were Shaws as you say.
  • They have small flatter frets on those models so may need a refret if you’re used to standard modern day medium frets 
    They have small flatter frets on those models so may need a refret if you’re used to standard modern day medium frets 
    yeah fair do's, didn't seem to bad on the one I tried, other than the low action really

I find I tend to adapt quite well to different guitars and their varying designs though
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14210
    tFB Trader
    £1200-1700 is a guide line - Originality, case, condition, fret wear all come into play - Any neck break and/or refin + touch up and you can come down on that price

The £1200-1700 covers the variation from say private and FB sales to dealers and Reverb etc

I've sold/seen a few over the years with a good refret and a new 'vintage' wiring loom that generally will enhance the guitars performance - IMO no way should a good re-fret offer any more of negative issues, certainly regarding the price - As for a change of pick-ups then a case of 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other , again assuming any decent name brand replacements as it is always a case of personal preference

Weight will vary and indeed how they feel/play - Some Norlin models are better than others - I use to say try 10 new Norlin LP's and you'll find 2/3 good ones - 2/3 okay examples and 2/3 dogs - This was back in the day when you could try a few in one store
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    what's the Norlin era then, in terms of what years does it cover?
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18717
    As concise regarding Norlin as anything else.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson
    The period divides opinions among guitar collectors as there were both diamonds & dogs produced during the period.
    Try before you buy & don't be too swayed by other peoples opinions  ;)
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I borrowed one a few years back. I thought it was ok. It was heavy, I don't think I could get excited about it, other than historical interest. Wasn't great, wasn't awful. Looked quite nice, but not a stunner. I think it was from 1982.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And just to clear up, there was no point in time where I thought that 'norlin' was some sort of vernacular or phonetic spelling of New Orleans, ok?

That never happened, I never thought that.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom