fret buzz between frets 5 and 10 when i lower the action.

What's Hot
i recently got a squier affinity jazz bass which i love i have to say (ordered via amazon).

the action when i got it was a bit high at 20th fret on all strings  so i just lowered the string heights. the only problem is that there is fret buzz on all strings between 5th and 10th frets.

there was relief when i sighted down the neck and i have tightened the truss rod a 1/4 turn clockwise but the problem is still there (i have raised up the saddles again so no fret buzz now but the action is high again). am wondering if the neck may need a fret dress or something?

any advice as to how to solve the issue will be most welcome (am no expert at adjusting stuff on a guitar/bass i must admit).

thanks in advance 
i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    You need to slacken the truss Rob a quarter of a turn and see how that is
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    There’s a hump in the middle of the neck, which may be caused by the truss rod being too tight. It sounds like the nut is also too high if it wasn’t buzzing below the 5th fret, which will make the action feel very high.

Don’t sight down the neck, you won’t be able to tell anything useful unless the neck is totally bowed. Hold the bass normally and fret the D string at the 1st and 17th frets with both hands. Look at the gap between the string and the 7th-8th frets, it should be about half the diameter of the G string.

To check the nut, fret each string at the 3rd fret and look at the gap between the string and the 1st fret. If it’s any more than about the thickness of a business card it’s too high.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thanks for the replies :-)

i did check the nut and the string spacing etc (also loosened the truss rod a quater turn). the nut seems fine actually (not high). also the spacing from checking with my eyes didn't seem too much,gap under string. unfortunately the issue is still there.

i will be heading off to john holmes music in swindon on friday to get it looked at as they will definitely be able to see whats going on with the buzzing (also need a gig bag for it,2 birds one stone etc).

thanks again 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I'd wager there being a need for some fallaway being dressed into the top frets anyway , so you can have a sensible action in the middle and still have that zone play cleanly

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4917
    My guess was loosen the truss rod a smidge. 
    I recently bought a bass which was like that as a punt; fortunately loosening it did the trick, so I saved £100.