Thumb pick recommendations.

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 910
Never ever used one before but I’m quite confident I could get used to using one. What make, thickness would any  forum users recommend for a beginner new to a thumb pick.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    I find the Planet Waves tortoiseshell ones are pretty good. I think they just come in the one thickness. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    I use a Dunlop one. I find all thumb picks are too long, so I file them down. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    If you have been used to using a normal plectrum the Herco flat thumbpicks are a very good type to start with. You may then continue with them, as many do, or you can move on to the more traditional type.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/he114-7-10137-01404-6.do

As Kilgore said, thumbpicks almost always need trimming to size. You should also moisten your thumb slightly to stop them slipping.
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 349
    edited October 2019
    Many of the most commonly marketed ones are like playing with a spade attached to your thumb.  I found John Pearse thumbpicks to be a bit of a revelation as they aren’t too big.  However I found them to be a bit inconsistent - if you bought a few they’d all be noticeably different.  Then a mate of mine gave me a Fred Kelly speed pick.  Really good.  They look a bit weird but they work really well.  You can get them in three different gauges too.  I use the white ones.
  • I tried loads of different brands before settling on the jim dunlop picks. I would suggest not cutting them down until you have gotten used to them, as I did this originally before realising it would've been best to leave well alone. Getting the right size for your thumb is also important as they can be uncomfortable for long periods if they are too tight.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I've tried them all and I've settled on Blue Chip as being the best solution if you are prepared to pay the price, which is not inconsiderable.
    Check them out properly before dismissing them based on price alone:

https://shop.bluechippick.net/categories/Thumb-Pick/

Otherwise Jim Dunlop are ok.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    How tight should they fit on thumb ? 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    i've never got on with them, and have settled for a calloused right thumb. yeah, it doesn't sound the same, but it does the job.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    markj said:
    Tight enough to grip (having moistened the thumb slightly) but not so tight that the end of the thumb becomes numb.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited October 2019
    I tried loads of different brands before settling on the jim dunlop picks. I would suggest not cutting them down until you have gotten used to them, as I did this originally before realising it would've been best to leave well alone. Getting the right size for your thumb is also important as they can be uncomfortable for long periods if they are too tight.
    Totally agree. I played finger style ( or whatever we called it back then ) for just under 30 years before going to thumbtacks ( and growing my nails. When I first tried a thumb pick I was lost. I persevered with my original choice ( Jim Dunlop medium ) and find it was so natural, without ever cutting down the pick. Its more about technique as with any pick or nail length. Now I just keep a consignment in the case and get out a new one as the old one breaks. 
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    octatonic said:
    I've tried them all and I've settled on Blue Chip as being the best solution if you are prepared to pay the price, which is not inconsiderable.
    Check them out properly before dismissing them based on price alone:

https://shop.bluechippick.net/categories/Thumb-Pick/

Otherwise Jim Dunlop are ok.
    I'm also a fan of Blue Chips (I have the JD Crow model). Didn't mention it before as I figured it's probably not a first thumbpick :) but they are the best I've ever tried.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    markj said:
    When you get a new thumb pick you can make it fit your thumb by soaking it for a few seconds in hot water, when it softens up, put it on your thumb and then dip it in cold water to set to the shape of your thumb.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd recommend finding a decent guitar shop and trying a few different sizes/materials/etc to see which fits your thumb the best. 

Different materials will have different sounds as well, for example the nickel Jim Dunlop in comparison to a plastic Herco Blue; which are my two choices. 
  • Jimbro66 said:
     You should also moisten your thumb slightly to stop them slipping.
    I convinced my Dobro player to move to Gorilla Snot to sort out his pick slipping. He hates the stuff, but loves the grip it provides.
  • proggy said:
    markj said:
    When you get a new thumb pick you can make it fit your thumb by soaking it for a few seconds in hot water, when it softens up, put it on your thumb and then dip it in cold water to set to the shape of your thumb.
    I actually cast my thumb with alginate so I can shape my thumb picks to the correct size. I have a plaster cast of my thumb in my music cupboard! Put the pick on, grab a hair dryer or submerge it in HOT water and you can shape it without burning your hand
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    I've tried lots and my favourite by far is the Fred Kelly Bumblebee thumbpick. It's the only one flexible enough that I can do alternate picking with it.
  • Bog standard Dunlop thumbpick for me.
    No modifications, just lots of practice. 
  • Another Fred Kelly user here (orange - medium). There's a seller on eBay that sells one of each size in a bundle so I went for that and tried them all before deciding which thickness I liked the best.