Crack down bass kneck

JoeabrahamJoeabraham Frets: 0
edited October 2019 in Bass
I recently realised this crack on the back of my p-bass' kneck. Its not effecting the bass in anyway at all. I tried to google the problem to see if it was something i should be worried about but could only find things about serious breaks. 
Does anyone else have something like this? 
And should i be worried that it mught become worse over time?
https://s.amsu.ng/BYBsHHH4mVdN

https://s.amsu.ng/uJwpGKNi4dTN
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited October 2019
    Two possibilities.

1) Your bass neck is constructed with a centre line join - like early Eighties Peavey guitars and basses. In this instance, the linear feature is evidence of wood shrinkage.

2) Your neck is constructed along traditional lines with an applied fingerboard. In this instance, the linear feature is evidence of either impact damage or of the truss rod trying to escape.

Version one can be disguised by removing the original finish, filling the gap and refinishing. (Potentially expensive.)

Version two can not improve over time. 
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    It looks like a split over the truss rod to me - it's a one-piece neck, you can see what appears to be a grain line that runs across the crack in the lower corner of the picture and the crack is also not perfectly straight, which it would be if it was a join.

One problem with fixing it may be that the wood is very thin there - it can be if the neck is shallow and the truss rod is close to the back - which means there will be very little strength in a glue joint even if you can get it to close up at all, which is unlikely.

Either possibility can potentially get worse with time, as the neck flexes or the wood shrinks further - leaving it exposed to moisture (particularly sweat) is not likely to help. The best option is probably to put filler into it and touch up the finish, and see what happens over time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Right okay so its likely to get worse over time. Its dissapointing as ive not even had it for a year yet and paid a lot of money for it from dawsons. Does there happen to be any warranty from fender or Dawsons for the american standards? 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited October 2019
    By law, brand new goods should come with a twelve month guarantee. You need to show the problem and your proof of purchase to Dawson's. They will have to contact Fender GB&I to arrange a return to headquarters. 

The likeliest outcomes are a replacement neck or the offer of a refund (probably, in the form of a credit note valid only at Dawson's). The best person on this forum to explain the procedure is @MattFGBI.

If you bought the instrument pre-owned, any shop warranty is likely to be under twelve months and cover fewer items. Talk to Dawson's as soon as possible.

ICBM said:
    you can see what appears to be a grain line that runs across the crack in the lower corner of the picture
    Not so easily done on the screen of a mobile telephone!
    Be seeing you.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    If you've had it less than a year, I would take it back to Dawsons. They may be able to get a replacement neck from Fender, esp. if they confirm it's a manufacturing flaw.
  • I came across an example of a broken truss rod on a Fender that resulted in a replacement neck, but the owner had to be persistent..