Soldering question....

Treated myself to a shiny new Antex 25w iron the other day and after 5 or 6 joins/welds (whatever the term is) the solder wouldn't take to the tip, it would just ball up on the end of the solder wire. I clean the tip before and after every join but can't figure why this would happen, i just use a damp sponge to clean the tip. Could i need copper shavings instead/as well?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Make sure that the sponge isn't too wet, you want it just damp.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    You need to tin the tip before you start using it or you get the exact issue you're having.  Have a look at some youtube videos and buy something like this it makes it really easy to tin the tip.  I bought a little tin a few years ago and have barely had to use it.  This one explains it quite well but if you shop around you'll find some cheaper than this.

https://www.antex.co.uk/products/spares-accessories/tip-tinner/ 
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited October 2019
    gary_mac said: Make sure that the sponge isn't too wet, you want it just damp.

I was worried it was the opposite because the sponge was fairly dry (from a previous days quench) so i made it wetter!

Adam_MD said: You need to tin the tip before you start using it or you get the exact issue you're having.  Have a look at some youtube videos and buy something like this it makes it really easy to tin the tip.  I bought a little tin a few years ago and have barely had to use it.  This one explains it quite well but if you shop around you'll find some cheaper than this.

https://www.antex.co.uk/products/spares-accessories/tip-tinner/ 

Thanks, will check this out.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Are you using leaded solder or lead free ? 

Lead free needs a hotter iron

When you get a new tip tin it as it heats up the very first time ...should then be fine.
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    Don't use standard lead-free if you can possibly avoid it - the added-silver type is far better, in fact if the silver content is high enough (3% or more typically) it works as well as leaded solder. It's quite a lot more expensive but once you've seen the difference you won't want to use non-silver solder again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    ICBM said:
    Don't use standard lead-free if you can possibly avoid it - the added-silver type is far better, in fact if the silver content is high enough (3% or more typically) it works as well as leaded solder. It's quite a lot more expensive but once you've seen the difference you won't want to use non-silver solder again.
    I use the silver solder too it's much easier to use than regular lead free. 
  • I've used both lead and lead free, I think not tinning it first use could well be my issue. Lets hope i can bring it back. :/