upgrading a squire tele

Ive just changed the neck pick up for a Seymour Duncan hot for tele in my Squire classic vibe 50s telecaster which is a big improvement , now when i switch to the middle position the volume drops and the sound is very thin and tinny yet  the bridge pickup is ok.. ive wired it the same way i took the original out.. Are these two pick ups compatible with each other..or am i missing something.  All suggestions appreciated.  Regards Phil
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    edited October 2019
    The electrical phase and/or magnetic polarity relationship between your two pickups is reversed.

Simple short term solution #1 - reverse the two output wires from the Duncan neck/Rhythm position pickup.*
    Simple short term solution #2 - invest in a Seymour Duncan high output pickup for the bridge/Treble position.

* If doing this, it would be advisable to detach the ground connection for the metal pickup cover. This will invalidate the warranty on a brand new pickup.

Another option is to re-magnetise one of your pickups to the opposite of its present polarity.

In your position, I would leave the guitar as it is for now. Just play on one pickup or the other, never both, until you decide whether one sounds conspicuously better than the other. Only then, decide whether the guitar warrants a second professional quality pickup. 

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom