SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Electro Voice RE20 microphone

What's Hot
solarsolar Frets: 174
edited October 2019 in Studio & Rec £
Long shot I know.. I've wanted one of these for bloody ages but I don't want to buy one new. Help me thefretboard, you're my only hope.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    FWIW if you want a kick mic yes, but for vocals (In case this is what you are after) there are better options like a used Senn 414 or SM7
  • solarsolar Frets: 174
    I dunno, I’ve listened to just about every SM7 vs RE20 demo going and I prefer the RE20 in every case. I’ve got a bit of a weedy voice so I like that it has a bit of extra bass. It’s going to mostly be used for spoken word too, seems to be pretty widely used for broadcast.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    solar said:
    I dunno, I’ve listened to just about every SM7 vs RE20 demo going and I prefer the RE20 in every case. I’ve got a bit of a weedy voice so I like that it has a bit of extra bass. It’s going to mostly be used for spoken word too, seems to be pretty widely used for broadcast.
    Broadcast mics have different characteristics because you are mostly talking without other instruments.
    As a vocal mic you will end up filtering out all the added bottom end to get it to fit with other instruments.

I use them for bass drum, snare, or for VO, I rarely use them as vocal mics.
    They are good for folks who have no real mic technique- placement is less of an issue with them.
    IMHO SM7B is a better buy for most people.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Not convinced the RE20 has more bass than other mics. It is designed to have reduced proximity effect so there's less of a bass boost when it's worked up close. If you want something to put hairs on your chest look for a hypercardioid mic like the Beyer M201.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Stuckfast said:
    Not convinced the RE20 has more bass than other mics. It is designed to have reduced proximity effect so there's less of a bass boost when it's worked up close. If you want something to put hairs on your chest look for a hypercardioid mic like the Beyer M201.
    The RE20 has more bottom end than the SM7B, but it scoops the mids a bit which gives the impression of even more bass.
    Beyer M201 is a good call- I often use that as a hi-hat or snare mic.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    octatonic said:
    Stuckfast said:
    The RE20 has more bottom end than the SM7B, but it scoops the mids a bit which gives the impression of even more bass.
    Beyer M201 is a good call- I often use that as a hi-hat or snare mic.
    I'm evaluating an extra mic (alongside a share m58) for micing guitar cabs), Studio Male vocals, and Male Voice over work.
    I wonder whether a ribbon mic like the SE electronics r1 or the RE20 (or PL20) would do the job.
    Or a recommendation? Used budget starts at 180 and would like to stay close.
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    edited March 2020
    From what I've read RE20's don't have the proximity effect given their use in radio broadcast. They're great mics for vocals if it works on your voice "better" is subjective. They're great on kick drums and guitar/bass amps. Santana's "Smooth" was a RE20 on his Mesa combo.
  • MajorDudeMajorDude Frets: 77
    I love my RE20. I use it at home on vocals and guitar cabs, at gigs I use to mic our kick drum. It's a thumbs up from me and I love seeing it used by Thom Yorke and Stevie Wonder. It's a classic