Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommend me a year of birth guitar.....

What's Hot
.....1958...no Les Pauls though. The cheaper the better but £1 grand max if one takes my fancy. Thank you.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Höfner President

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Hold out for the new 'Fender Fandango' line in 39 years time. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18660
    Not a piss take,but maybe an Epiphone 1958 Explorer Korina reissue?
    Keeping it within the price range while still referencing the year  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • .....1958...no Les Pauls though. The cheaper the better but £1 grand max if one takes my fancy. Thank you.
    Seems a pointless exercise if it's just to tick a box
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    1958 is an interesting year because the ban on imported American guitars was still in force (until June '59) so there were very few in the UK during your birth year. British guitarists had to make do with British, European and Japanese made guitars. As ICBM said, Hofner were very popular. Probably the ones considered most cool then were the Grimshaw SS Deluxe played by Joe Moretti, Joe Brown, Bruce Welch and many others and the Futurama played by Tony Sheridan, which was about the closest to a Strat at a time when blatant copies were not around.

Probably most guitars from the major Americans are well over budget but Harmony might be a possibility. Grimshaw might also just be in budget but asking prices are getting silly lately. Hofner if you are aware of the issues they can have.

No doubt there are others I've missed, not having my Tony Bacon book handy, so it will be interesting to see what other suggestions are made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    edited October 2019
    I've never understood this year of birth guitar ownership, is it a sort of bucket list thing. Supposing it was like wine where some years are rubbish?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    edited October 2019
    Sassafras said:
    I've never understood this year of birth guitar ownership, is it a sort of bucket list thing. Supposing it was like wine where some years are rubbish?
    Just for the novelty really! I got my first one last week, mostly because I love the model but the fact that it's a "birth-year" was a neat bit of kudos to add to it.

*edit* @Skipped that Stewart thing is gorgeous, nice find!
  • Not a piss take,but maybe an Epiphone 1958 Explorer Korina reissue?
    Keeping it within the price range while still referencing the year  ;)
    No piss take taken fellow board member. I'll check out all suggestions made on this thread. I should have stipulated that condition and playability aren't top of the criteria. The year of manufacture is though.
  • Sassafras said:
    I was born in 1958....I reckon my time left on this earth is somewhat limited....so yeah, maybe it is a bucket list kinda thing!!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Sassafras said:
    I was born in 1958....I reckon my time left on this earth is somewhat limited....so yeah, maybe it is a bucket list kinda thing!!
    In that case I wouldn't want a constant reminder that I'm not for long on this Earth.
     :) 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • .....1958...no Les Pauls though. The cheaper the better but £1 grand max if one takes my fancy. Thank you.
    It might be something to bequeath to my son.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • diapdiap Frets: 135
    edited October 2019
    .....1958...no Les Pauls though. The cheaper the better but £1 grand max if one takes my fancy. Thank you.
    In that case would it not be better to buy a guitar from his birth year?

Might mean more to him and you get to play it till you croak! Even better if it means you get a better guitar for the same money!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7820
    diap said:
    In that case would it not be better to buy a guitar from his birth year?

Might mean more to him and you get to play it till you croak! Even better if it means you get a better guitar for the same money!
    If my father left me a guitar, I’d treasure it, as would be about the memories he created. 

Alas, my father has only left me a knackered accordion. Which is fine by me. Who wants a working one! Yuk!

Hes still alive by the way, stubborn old mule!
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    1k invested with a financial body would yield a better return
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18660
    1k invested with a financial body would yield a better return
    Spoken with the voice of a computer & soul of an accountant  ;)
    Although, you're not wrong  :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1335
    You can get quite an interesting 1958 acoustic - Guild, Levin or similar sub £1k. Year of birth guitar to pass on is a nice idea. My son will enjoy my '65 jazz bass, I hope, when the time comes. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    You could get a very nice Fender Champ Lap Steel from 1958 for that sort of money!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    A Martin acoustic.
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1173
    Fender Duo-sonic (a very very beat up one) or a danelectro/silvertone?