Legwarmer thingy on the nut

midiman1962midiman1962 Frets: 100
Sorry , but what's this about and why do i need one ?
I'm so out of touch...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    edited October 2019
    I think it’s for damping/muting open strings without using your hands so they don't ring out when they're not wanted. My Chapman Stick had something similar. 

I love chimey open strings, so they're not for me!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8692
    Hair bobbles can be used to mute open strings when you’re tapping.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Usually you are seeing Gruv Gear Fret Wraps - and they can be used to mute strings as some have said above. Can be quite useful in a recording scenario so you don't get unwanted string noise and yes, most people use them for tapping - if you are out of touch it prop means you are "older" like me and learned how to control the string noise years ago :) So you don't need one! (They are a good cheat for recording tho...)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    https://youtu.be/h4zed1v13Rk

For those of us of a certain place and age I enjoyed watching this, at some point past the 5 minute mark he gets his sock out.

Vaiai said:
    Usually you are seeing Gruv Gear Fret Wraps - and they can be used to mute strings as some have said above. Can be quite useful in a recording scenario so you don't get unwanted string noise and yes, most people use them for tapping - if you are out of touch it prop means you are "older" like me and learned how to control the string noise years ago :) So you don't need one! (They are a good cheat for recording tho...)

Not something I've ever done or likely to do but if guitarists like Guthrie Govan employ a hair band from time to time I don't see it as something proper players don't need.   

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    We all like to keep our nuts warm
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Legwarmer! :lol:

Here's what it's for, turn on the annotations on YouTube and let my chum Pao from the Racer X forum explain:

• RolandRoland Frets: 8692

Not something I've ever done or likely to do but if guitarists like Guthrie Govan employ a hair band from time to time I don't see it as something proper players don't need.   

I’ve used one to deafen the strings behind the nut. On a guitar like a Parker Fly you can get sympathetic resonance between nut and tuners. A hair bobble stops it. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Thanks for the heads up and help for the elder members - i think with singing the song , playing guitar and lead guitar (badly) on the song and talking to the audience , the legwarmer thingy is a bridge too far .....