Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Strymon Iridium Review/Demo - Kemper/Helix killer....? Nah

What's Hot

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    @JohnCordy ;; Me too, Pod, Flextone, Digitech and now Helix.  Love the Helix, as you say capable of loads, but I use it in a fairly simple way, get through a gig on a single patch 95% of the time.

Think the current modellers all sound great, and people who say unit X is much better then unit Y probably just hasn't spent enough time with unit Y

Do like the simplicity of the  iridium, that and a delay pedal would cover just about everything for me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @John_A I'm the same - I use one preset with three snapshots (well 8 on the helix but I've not gigged that properly yet).

I've taken the Iridium on 3 duo gigs and enjoyed it on 2 of them!
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    JohnCordy said:

I've taken the Iridium on 3 duo gigs and enjoyed it on 2 of them!

because of the gear or the gig?
  • @sgosden for the 2nd of the 3 gigs, I was sat behind the speaker etc and it just felt a bit off...Which is to be expected!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    edited November 2019
    A decent player will always shine through. Even with mediocre kit.
    Hence why you are better off practicing instead of buying x or y to achieve z etc
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @ThorpyFX The Veteran into the Iridium on "Chime" mode. One of my favourite Fuzz tones I've ever achieved!
  • althyalthy Frets: 92
    edited November 2019
    This thing is really good. Waiting for strymon to release a floor unit where you can add effects from any of their pedals à la H9, sized like a gt1000.

• althy said:
    This thing is really good. Waiting for strymon to release a floor unit where you can add effects from any of their pedals à la H9, sized like a gt1000.

I can’t ever see that happening. Too lucrative releasing Individual pedals ?. 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • @hotpickups hard to predict what they might do - especially if the Iridium release goes well? 
    edited November 2019
    Don't think it would arm them, it'd provide one audience with what they're after. given how well the gt, helix and other units are doing I would be surprised if strymon don't offer their take at some point.
  • in this comparison with a Kemper AC30 profile, I think the Iridium Chime holds up nicely!
  • Exploring the possibility that the Iridium could be used to free up some processing power/blocks in the HX stomp? If you could work out how to use the midi on this thing there might be a whole lot you could do...

• JohnCordy said:
    Exploring the possibility that the Iridium could be used to free up some processing power/blocks in the HX stomp? If you could work out how to use the midi on this thing there might be a whole lot you could do...

A couple of weeks ago I found out that the Stomp is very limited in its ability to send MIDI to control other devices - unlike the HX FX I use, which is pretty flexible and powerful. The Stomp can only send the PC command that corresponds to the preset number that you've just loaded. The Boss GT-100 is the same. That might be enough for some people, of course, but it's not like up to six "Instant Commands", etc., on the HX (or, presumably the full Helix). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting. I was thinking of doing that with the gt 1000. 
    The GT covers all my needs fx wise but the amps seem to be much better on the irridium from all these demos especially the vox and tweed sounds.
    The Boss midi capabilities also seem perfect to get the most out of the iridium.. will wait for pmt to receive them so I can try out for myself.

• althy said:
    Interesting. I was thinking of doing that with the gt 1000. 
    The GT covers all my needs fx wise but the amps seem to be much better on the irridium from all these demos especially the vox and tweed sounds.
    The Boss midi capabilities also seem perfect to get the most out of the iridium.. will wait for pmt to receive them so I can try out for myself.

The GT-1000 may be better with MIDI than the GT-100. 
    @JohnCordy , the Jazzy sound is really cool with this d'angelico looks lush, a fan of Kurt's?
  • @althy Kurt is great - but I think the decision to go for a tune-o-matic bridge was more Mike Moreno influenced
  • figured out some sort of use for the Stereo input (I use delay post amp so that's not a valid use for me) - Chorus!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbwhitembwhite Frets: 11
    edited November 2019
    First of all let me say that you're doing a very good job with this serie of samples, and that your playing and style is absolutely top notch.
    I have an HX Stomp, my second one, and I used to have a Kemper, but couldn't justify that amount of money . Then Torpedo Live, and other amenities, including an Ampli Firebox. It was very good in the tone department, but I hated its interface.
    I'm playing the HX stomp exclusively these days. I don't like how it sounds out of the box, but with Celestion or Ownhammer IRs and a good amount of tweaking it worths every cents (I'm Italian) and then some, because it can be used in a number of different ways: with a tube amo, as a soundcard, direct to FOH, with my Martin acoustic etc.
    It's got an easy to use editor, and it's not difficult to learn how to manage it. Actually I've read the manual weeks after I got it, just to discover new approaches that maybe I was ignoring.
    But it has got menus. 67 amps, yes, sixtyseven. IRs library to be loaded, many effects that are more than anybody would ever use.
    And all these things force me to spend the few spare minutes I have to audition IRs, to find that I like one delay, not 23, and that I miss the actual knobs on my pedals.

Is Iridium the answer? Is the audio quality comparable to the HX Stomp?
    I know it is, but few samples are grainy and almost harsh on the Marshall setting, wondering if I miss something by selling the HX stomp to get it.

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @mbwhite see which of these you prefer?