SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: PRS McCarty goldtop P90 (USA, 1998)

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
edited October 2019 in Guitars £
Some of you will have seen today’s NGD. This 21 year old case queen arrived this morning and while I’ve enjoyed several hours playing it I can’t justify keeping it. Too attached to my strat and R8.

You can take my word or not but this guitar is easily on parr with my custom shop Fender and Gibson. If it doesn’t sell for what I paid I’ll be happy to keep it, the wife might not be so chuffed. 

I’ve seen older looking “new” guitars in shops than this. The faintest marks of use. Virtually no visible fret wear (original frets). VOS look to the bridge due to tarnishing which is one of the only signs of its age.

Lovely dark rosewood. One piece mahogany body. This is Gibson custom shop equivalent and I’m sure blows the new original series 50s Les Paul’s out the water.

Wide/fat neck profile which is a bit shallower than my R8. More akin to my 65c strat neck but marginally deeper at the nut.

Case is also well looked after and includes hang tags and truss rod tool.

Including UPS insured delivery £1350.

7reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Assuming the lols relate to speed of turnaround rather than the price?! Understandable to be fair. I’d prefer to keep it but my wife wears the trousers round my way...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3294
    Wanted one of these for a long time...maybe one day. Best of luck with the sale, it’s a beauty! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2424
    edited October 2019
    Yeah, I've got to admit that's a little bit sexy. Just a pity they're not humbuckers :- /
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    That’s is an even quicker turnaround than my blade ! 

GLWTS 
    beed84 said:
    Yeah, I've got to admit that's a little bit sexy. Just a pity they're not humbuckers :- /
    You could probably have it professionally routed for humbuckers and it would still cost half the price of a 2020 McCarty! Playing it this evening and wondering if I should just be hiding it in the garage.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3294
    edited October 2019
    I think you should trade it for multiple guitars, that’d go down really well!  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think you should trade it for multiple guitars, that’d go down really well!  =)
    Given what I told her the PRS cost I’d have to hide some of those too!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543
    TINMAN82 said:
    beed84 said:
    You could probably have it professionally routed for humbuckers and it would still cost half the price of a 2020 McCarty! Playing it this evening and wondering if I should just be hiding it in the garage.
    If you need somewhere to *store* it, then im sure i have a space or 2 ;)

Adam
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19137
    I don't really like PRS's, but that looks lovely.
    Regarding the wife... does your patio look like it needs re-laying?  B)
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    There are PRS guitars which one perhaps shouldn't admit to great enthusiasm for.  Sadly, a large number of their models are tricked out with those questionable birds, two frets more than are required for most arpeggios, and tops unnecessarily going to 10 and beyond; these challenge the usual tenets of taste and restraint.  
    And then there are others (like this splendid example here) which are just great playing guitars which will last a lifetime, sound sublime, and mercifully fail to shout 'look at me, I'm gorgeous, me'...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dcg said:
    There are PRS guitars which one perhaps shouldn't admit to great enthusiasm for.  Sadly, a large number of their models are tricked out with those questionable birds, two frets more than are required for most arpeggios, and tops unnecessarily going to 10 and beyond; these challenge the usual tenets of taste and restraint.  
    And then there are others (like this splendid example here) which are just great playing guitars which will last a lifetime, sound sublime, and mercifully fail to shout 'look at me, I'm gorgeous, me'...
    You have seen that the guitar is gold haven't you?

I'm wondering whether that neck pickup on you tele in your profile picture might be a bit of an unnecessary extravagance for you?

3 ply binding? you show off!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    dcg said:

Very true. And this is one of the few in their range that interests me aesthetically, although I’m now sold on the McCarty body shape and wraparound bridge from an elegant form and function perspective. 

Looks like the soon to be re-released 2020 Mccartys have birds and binding. Also a pattern neck profile (the difference from wide/fat I’m not clear on). Humbucker only though as far as I can see. I’m sure they’ll be fantastic but can’t imagine less than £2.5k.

In all probability I’ll be taking this off the market soon. No way I’d lose both the guitar and some cash!
  • TINMAN82 said:
    Hmm... can I have your wife's number? I'll call her and offer to take it off your hands for fifty quid more than you paid for it! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TINMAN82 said:
    Hmm... can I have your wife's number? I'll call her and offer to take it off your hands for fifty quid more than you paid for it! 
    I’ll politely decline on this occasion. But thanks for your interest  ;)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1543

In all honesty, I do like PRS bling - Im a sucker for beautiful figured maple/other wood, and birds I think are really quite nice. I don't get the hatred for them.

However, Goldtop and P90 is a classic combo, and utterly desitrable. I shall go home and franticly search for spare coppers down the back of the sofa.

GLWTS.

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PM'd

Didn’t take long..and rightfully so. UPS collection booked for tomorrow kind sir.