Circle of Fourths [on Bass]

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4947
This popped up when I was viewing something else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmqMLjuApg

Exactly how useful I am not sure, this is something that you guys can teach/show me, but it has interesting exercises especially on learning the notes on the fretboard.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    How useful?

Well, the basic idea is to memorise the fingerboard so that you no longer need to look at it whilst playing. This leaves your eyes free to gawk at song charts. This should enable you to work from charts notated as chord numbers rather than Italian manuscript in a specific key. Thus, you could arrive for a paid engagement and perform the set list in whatever keys suit the vocalist(s).
    Be seeing you.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    What use musically is knowing the circle of fourths?  Thanks
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• vizviz Frets: 10645
    Rocker said:
    It’s the same as the circle of 5ths (you just go round it in the opposite direction). 

I think this is a good video to explain some of the uses of it:

https://youtu.be/50CpDZvTWks

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23941
    viz said:
    Rocker said:
    It’s the same as the circle of 5ths (you just go round it in the opposite direction). 

I think this is a good video to explain some of the uses of it:

https://youtu.be/50CpDZvTWks

That's a great vid!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    Rocker said:
    The strongest resolution in music is down a fifth (up a 4th), eg from the V chord to the I chord (eg from G to C in C major) and this harmonic resolution crops up repeatedly in pop music. Eg the II to V chord resolution, or the VI to II chord resolution, or the III to the VI chord.

Being able to recognise patterns around the cycle of 4th helps in understand harmonic movement and resolutions in music, rather than simply looking at a song as a linear set of unrelated chords.

By learning the cycle of forths you should then be able to recognise patterns of chords in songs; this speeds up learning songs, and also aids massively improvisation.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom