High action on Martin 00-28 Reimagined

What's Hot
I've become slightly fixated on buying a Martin ever since visiting the factory earlier this year (hardly surprising if you've been there, great place!). I've tried a few out, and settled on the 00-28 Reimagined as being the one for me (the CEO-7 coming in a close second). However, I've noticed that the action is rather high on the guitars I've tried, and the one I tried today at GAK was no exception. They said they'd have it serviced and the action lowered if I were to buy it.... is this kinda normal with new Martin's? The salesmen said that Martin's typically have a higher action, so maybe it's because I'm more used to my electric guitars and my Taylor Baby which all have low action. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Yes, Martins come with higher actions as standard. The reason is that it's easier to lower the action than raise it, and better done to suit the buyer's personal preference rather than set a generic 'low action' which can choke the sound to some extent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GTCGTC Frets: 263
    Yes, agree with the previous comment. The factory settings for Martins are on the high side but there is plenty of scope for improvement. by any decent guitar technician. Small adjustments can make a huge difference in playability
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks so much for the responses! This lines up with other comments I've read elsewhere online (since looking into it tonight) and also makes a lot of sense. It did seem that there was scope for the saddle to be lowered, perhaps a touch less neck relief also. I was also impressed with the GAK staff I must say.  
  • Yep my old Martin had an action as high as a kite, but as others have said this is something Martin leave for the customer to tailor make the action to suit the player. However, long are the days when you could buy a guitar and have the action altered 'in house' when you bought your guitar. It is a money saving exercise for many manufacturers and only comes with boutique guitar's now. 
  • Went to a London guitar shop today (not saying where because It was AWFUL) - I questioned why all their acoustics have high action? I mentioned this Martin quote (that I think is bollocks btw) that user can adjust it to their style, he didn't believe me and had never heard Martin say this. 
    Then he said it's not a problem because he can just tweak the truss rod to lower action.
    I walked out at that point trying not to laugh. 
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Don’t have it anymore but I bought this model from Guitar Village and it was set up beautifully with a nice low-ish action. Perhaps they set it up in store differently to how it came from the factory. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    I think I know which shop. Somebody I know through work owns several Martin acoustic guitars - including one of the horse glue D18GE models. He described a similarly poor shop experience in central London.

Regarding the action, Martins tend to give of their best when strummed pretty hard. This creates greater string excursion which, in turn, demands a relatively high clearance above the frets.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I mentioned this Martin quote (that I think is bollocks btw) that user can adjust it to their style...

Well, you can think whatever you wish.... but....
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    edited November 2019
    I have my HD28 set with an action 7/64ths - 5/64ths, .010 relief with .013s. Much lower and it rattles when strummed hard and starts to lose that Martin tone and power.

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I think I know which shop. Somebody I know through work owns several Martin acoustic guitars - including one of the horse glue D18GE models. He described a similarly poor shop experience in central London.

Regarding the action, Martins tend to give of their best when strummed pretty hard. This creates greater string excursion which, in turn, demands a relatively high clearance above the frets.

Was it Westside on Denmark Street?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4189
    Went to a London guitar shop today (not saying where because It was AWFUL) - I questioned why all their acoustics have high action? I mentioned this Martin quote (that I think is bollocks btw) that user can adjust it to their style, he didn't believe me and had never heard Martin say this. 
    Then he said it's not a problem because he can just tweak the truss rod to lower action.
    I walked out at that point trying not to laugh. 
    Given your account of their “expertise” I expect they’re all over-humidified
  • BRISTOL86 said:
    Don’t have it anymore but I bought this model from Guitar Village and it was set up beautifully with a nice low-ish action. Perhaps they set it up in store differently to how it came from the factory. 
    I've not forgotten this! I'm still 99.99% sure I tried the very same Martin you bought, and was gutted to miss it when you sold - but I'd not long bought another guitar from this forum. I remember that one playing so much more nicely than the one I tried at the weekend.... but sometimes you doubt your memory. 

I'm hoping to head to Denmark St soon to try some at Westside, so will see if it's the same shop as mentioned above.