Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Sports Personality Of The Year 2019

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
in Off Topic tFB Trader
So all the major events for this year are now nearly all gone - a big year for many - Netball World Cup - Women's Football World Cup - Ashes - Cricket WC - Rugby WC - Athletics World Championship for starters

Team award - surely it goes to the England Cricket team - the 50 over team to be more specific 

Coach award - probably will go to Eddie Jones but Klopp has to be in with the running

Individual SPOTY - Ben Stokes should walk it - 2nd and 3rd probably to the 2 UK girl athletes - KJT and Dina AS - Honorable mentions to Archer, Lewis - see the odds are 1/5 with one bookie for Ben

Overseas - IMO going to Bernal but Nadal will be in with a shout
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Dire TV. Why anyone would want to sit through that is beyond me. Even though I'm not interested, I think they should split it to two awards male and female. 

I was quite pleased when Wiggins won and Geraint of course, but I certainly didn't watch the shows or vote.

• Cricket team, yeah must be after winning World cup
    • Stokes for the individual win. Hamilton has another WC win, but for me it's more about the car than the driver (yeah, I know that not everyone agrees!)
    • Eddie Jones - nah. Second place isn't win material for me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    tFB Trader
    axisus said:
    Dire TV. Why anyone would want to sit through that is beyond me. Even though I'm not interested, I think they should split it to two awards male and female. 

I was quite pleased when Wiggins won and Geraint of course, but I certainly didn't watch the shows or vote.

• Stokes for the individual win. Hamilton has another WC win, but for me it's more about the car than the driver (yeah, I know that not everyone agrees!)

agree that it isn't a great programme to watch these days - Got worse as BBC basically have so little sport to show now 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    Surely it's not SPOTY time already?  The Apprentice has only been on four or five weeks and we haven't had to pretend Children in Need is an evening of top class entertainment yet.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Someone'll be along shortly to point out that sports personality sounds like an oxymoron.
  • Philly_Q said:
    Surely it's not SPOTY time already?  The Apprentice has only been on four or five weeks and we haven't had to pretend Children in Need is an evening of top class entertainment yet.
    Does anybody watch Children in Need? You can’t go out for the evening without being chugged by someone dressed as Spider-Man so it’s pretty much an evening of Netflix. 
    At least when SPOTY is on you can still go out for the evening. I think it was still Princess Anne in the running last time I made through more than the first five minutes. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    EricTheWeary said:

I think it was still Princess Anne in the running last time I made through more than the first five minutes. 
    I think that was Horse Of The Year.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11294
    SPOTY used to be good because it incorporated a review of each major sport and had interviews with many of the spoprtsmen and women.

Now that the Beeb is reduced to football highlights and the world walpaper-hanging championships and you can hardly avoid anyone who's ever kicked, thrown run or jumped whilst not in their day clothes it's lost its sparkle.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    edited November 2019
    Sassafras said:
    Someone'll be along shortly to point out that sports personality sounds like an oxymoron.

It certainly does if Lewis Hamilton wins it. 

He's got his speech written already, he's been practicing it after every race win. "I don't think I've taken it all in yet, as a team we're all achieving something special here, it's truly humbling...".

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    axisus said:

Hate this show coming around each year, but I hate sport full stop.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    My vote goes to Camy....
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    tone1 said:
    My vote goes to Camy....
    If you mean Chris Kamara, agree 100%
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Sports Personality ?

is that not an oxymoron? 

couldn't let @Sassafras down 
  • So all the major events for this year are now nearly all gone - a big year for many - Netball World Cup - Women's Football World Cup - Ashes - Cricket WC - Rugby WC - Athletics World Championship for starters

Team award - surely it goes to the England Cricket team - the 50 over team to be more specific 

Coach award - probably will go to Eddie Jones but Klopp has to be in with the running

Individual SPOTY - Ben Stokes should walk it - 2nd and 3rd probably to the 2 UK girl athletes - KJT and Dina AS - Honorable mentions to Archer, Lewis - see the odds are 1/5 with one bookie for Ben

Stokes has had an exceptional 12 months in the field.

IMO though Raheem Sterling on the other hand, has been exceptional on the pitch and off the pitch he's become a very important spokesman for what seems to be the current zeitgeist of speaking out about racism, buying tickets for school children and so on. 

In terms of a team award, even if the Ladies Football team didn't win the WC, but they've really incredibly successful in raising the profile of the sport eg they have sold out Wembley for the match at the weekend, which 12 months ago never would have happened.  

Overseas sports personality - Megan Rapinoe. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    Team - Arbroath probably
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5154
    Jalapeno said:
    tone1 said:
    My vote goes to Camy....
    If you mean Chris Kamara, agree 100%
    Yes I did..... =)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14226
    tFB Trader
    Vote for the magic sporting moment of 2019 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/13TSsH5YPzjpQFLjh80hwr5/greatest-sporting-moment-2019

I'm torn between Jos Butler breaking the stumps for the world cup win and Ben Stokes for the winning run at Headingley

Then World Sports Star of the year https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1cWq3874hmzYQHsrc0Xs043/world-sport-star-of-the-year-2019 - I've gone for Kolisis - My daughter said it should be Simone Biles
  • I wouldn’t be surprised to see Megan Rapinoe win Overseas. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    So all the major events for this year are now nearly all gone - a big year for many - Netball World Cup - Women's Football World Cup - Ashes - Cricket WC - Rugby WC - Athletics World Championship for starters

Stokes has had an exceptional 12 months in the field.

IMO though Raheem Sterling on the other hand, has been exceptional on the pitch and off the pitch he's become a very important spokesman for what seems to be the current zeitgeist of speaking out about racism, buying tickets for school children and so on. 

In terms of a team award, even if the Ladies Football team didn't win the WC, but they've really incredibly successful in raising the profile of the sport eg they have sold out Wembley for the match at the weekend, which 12 months ago never would have happened.  

Overseas sports personality - Megan Rapinoe. 
    I reckon Sterling, for all his dignity in the face of racism, shot himself in the foot with the Gomez argument and can come across as a bit petulant. He might be an excellent footballer but I don’t think he’s that well liked. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Do the public vote for the team or coach awards? I can't see them.

Personality - I would give this to KJT. Finally stepped up and looked determined to win rather than hoping to win. I imagine Stokes will actually win.

Overseas - surely Kipchoge. He ran a marathon in under 2 hours. That's certainly faster than I could do it.

Best moment - For me it was the Origi goal (with the quick thinking Alexander Arnold corner) but concede that Stokes could edge it.

Team - I would think England cricket

Coach - Klopp won the CL and Liverpool are in a commanding lead so far this season. Might get it by default.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    ewal said:
    Team - Arbroath probably
    @ewal ; as a proud Montrose man I would have to disagree