Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD - another Schecter (now returned for refund)

What's Hot
skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
edited November 2019 in Guitar
After playing a Reaper a few months back and loving it, and then trying the C-6 Pro after @Grumpyrocker got one a couple of weeks ago and loving that too, I bought... a Reaper. I just slightly prefer the look, and I knew that if I bought the C-6 there would come a point where the NGD love would wear off and I'd be thinking "I wish I'd got the Reaper".

Been playing it most of the afternoon - it's fab. Surprisingly clean-sounding pickups, especially compared to the EMGs in my Performance, but they sound great. I think my days of 'get a new guitar and whatever the pickups are, rip them out and stick EMGs in' are definitely over. The neck is just wonderful, and I've never played a guitar with such good top-fret access!

Looks wise, I think this looks gorgeous: I love the burled top, and I really like the bare wood in the arm contour... I know that other opinions are available, and will probably be forthcoming shortly!

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p_jay78p_jay78 Frets: 182
    Looks great! Happy NGD! What are the pick ups?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    That is an absolutely fabulous looking guitar. Happy NGD. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    That headstock is so much better than their 3+3 one
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fabulous, HNGD. Lovely top on that.

Did consider the Reaper myself but I don't like some of the top being bare. Love how it looks on the headstock though. The neck looks fabulous.

Am very impressed with Schecter's stock pickups.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    That's great! Funny, I was just browsing some Schecters before clicking onto the forum... Happy ngd!
  • p_jay78 said:
    They're Schecter pickups. They call them 'Decimators', they're described as being hot but 'shaped to cut through'. They're not as hot as some I've had, but I really like the way they sound, and they have great note definition with loads of gain 

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• DrBob said:
    That headstock is so much better than their 3+3 one
    Agreed! I've got a thing about guitars with Strat-style bodies and 3+3 headstocks; I hate them. So many of Schecter's range are stunning but only up to the nut :lol:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Disagree. I really like the 3+3 look on the Hellraiser Hybrid.

https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/hellraiser-hybrid-c-1-detail

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    Hmmm, I really hadn't considered this an issue before.
    I have a Schecter C1 Classic (first run) & although it looks a blowsy tart with the tree of life inlays, it looks just fine to me with it's 3 a side Grovers.
    Lighten up chums  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Fab guitar, HNGD!
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    p_jay78 said:
    They're Schecter pickups. They call them 'Decimators', they're described as being hot but 'shaped to cut through'. They're not as hot as some I've had, but I really like the way they sound, and they have great note definition with loads of gain 
    The guitar looks amazing, ooo mammmy!

I have a bass with Schecter Diamond pickups and for a long time I was tempted to change them to something boutique or with a brand name but the Schecter ones just sounded so fine that I never felt it would be worth changing them. They do also have a coil tap which is unusual on a Jazz Bass.
    How are you getting on with this ?
    I think it might be my next purchase even though the nut is a smidge narrower than I’d like.
  • lysander said:
    How are you getting on with this ?
    I think it might be my next purchase even though the nut is a smidge narrower than I’d like.
    I absolutely love it. I haven't touched any of my other guitars since it came in, tbh... so much so that I decided to sell two of them, and now I'm seriously considering getting the Floyd Rose version too

That’s good to hear !
  • Don't know where you are @lysander , but if you're near Southend you're more than welcome to pop round and try it out

Thanks man, probably a bit too far but it’s very kind to offer !
    Enjoy that guitar !
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4136
    edited November 2019
    Update: I'm currently sat in Peach Guitars while their tech has a look at the guitar: I noticed a bit of a dead spot at the 12th fret on the 3rd string. Putting a new set of strings on didn't make any difference so I've brought it back. I'm kind of hoping they can't fix it so that they offer me a return; in which case I'll pay the extra & swap it for the FR version :lol:

@lysander i stand my by recommendation though: it's a cracking guitar, and it's my number 1 guitar. I've noticed too that the pickups sound way better than the EMGs in my Performance

• Second update: Peach are sending the guitar back to Schecter for them to repair or replace. Not sure how lon gI'll be without it, but if the dead spot's gone when it comes back then I don't really mind... it's not like it's my only guitar!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23960
    I think most guitars have a slight deadspot somewhere.
    Quite difficult to avoid with string instruments - always going to get a frequency node somewhere along the string length.
  • Second update: Peach are sending the guitar back to Schecter for them to repair or replace. Not sure how lon gI'll be without it, but if the dead spot's gone when it comes back then I don't really mind... it's not like it's my only guitar!
    Couldn’t they just refund you on such a new guitar ?