Alternatives to Nitro spray for an aged look?

What's Hot
I am looked for alternatives to spray finishes for a guitar project. I want an aged finish so dull and cracked as opposed to glossy and polished.

Any oils or paints out there that would do the job? Also what oil/paint to use for a clear/sealer/top coat?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3288
    tFB Trader
    Nope not that I know of, especially if you want it realistic looking
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nope not that I know of, especially if you want it realistic looking
    I'll give it a go :+1: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
     I want an aged finish so dull and cracked as opposed to glossy and polished.

Aged guitars are still glossy though ;)

I think you may struggle unless you can find a brush on product that reacts in a similar fashion to nitro. I suspect if you end up brushing a finish on or applying it manually some other way then wet sanding will be a nightmare. The depth of the finish could also be problematic 
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    I am looked for alternatives to spray finishes for a guitar project. I want an aged finish so dull and cracked as opposed to glossy and polished.

Any oils or paints out there that would do the job? Also what oil/paint to use for a clear/sealer/top coat?

Milk Paint looks dull/flat & quite good although different from nitro. Not sure you could get it to crack but there are lots of examples of worn finishes if you google images.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Nitro or poly - then a going over with 000 and/or 0000 wire wool will give you a matt finish
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Micromesh is also great for giving an even satin finish.
  • Think you need to get an image of what you are trying to achieve and you will probably get some ideas how to tackle it. 

If you are thinking worn aged cracked vintage road dog strat getting realistic lacquer checking is best with Nitro although some people manage to pull it off with a scalpel or blade. 

There are obviously stuff like crack lacquer in the diy and art world but it does not really look like authentic age. I believe you can simulate this with Elmers glue base coat but again not something I have bothered with but sure there are some finishing experts here. 

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    My favourite finish is shellac. Super easy to apply, and ages beautifully. It's not as tough as lacquer though, so will continue to age throughout the life of the guitar.... perhaps beyond what you want. It's also very easy to repair in the future if you want to.

It will not crack like nitro, though.