Acoustic soloists: Any recommendations for a drum pedal/backing?

So I've recently started performing a solo set with just my Helix, PC112+ and Acoustic/Electric with relevant looping and so on - no vocals. Occasionally however I record some bass/snare sounds by giving the acoustic a whack in the relevant place. However the sound of this isn't great and it's not that practical. Plus I loathe that tipyy-tappy sound that seems prevalent with virtuoso acoustic musicians over the past few years.

I've looked into acoustic stomp pedals and there seems to be many options for £30 all the way up to £300. Not interested in a full-on drum machine, though something I could trigger with the foot that at least has to be played live could be an option.

I definitely need a "bass drum" sound but having a snare type effect would also be a real bonus. Has to be able to go into the PA so nothing purely acoustic (because it will be recorded as part of a loop building). Doesn't need to be too hard wearing as the gigs are pretty civilised affairs, and only once a month or so at best.

Anyone got any experience?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Doesn't work for the snare, but I have used a microphone in a briefcase for the kick before.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    I sometimes use a cable operated kick drum pedal with a soft beater on a cajon, which obviously doubles as my stool, and occasionally a tambourine under the other foot to act as a snare. 

My most portable kick drum substitute is a bit of wood about 30cm long and 10cm wide, on rubber amp feet with an old piezo pickup and jack socket gaffa'd underneath, as a simple stomp box. 

Its general tone is totally up to how I EQ it on the mixer, anything from bassy thud, through woodblock to click.