Small Bass Combo

jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
 I fancy picking up a small bass combo and on balance I think I’ve narrowed it to the Phil Jones Session 77 and the two 12” combos from MarkBass.

Any information/expert opinions would be most appreciated. 

Re: MarkBass -  apparently the newer ones made in Indonesia are not as good as the old ones made in Italy. But then I always thought far eastern manufacturers a lot more reliable than (particularly) Italian manufacture?

Is  there a significant difference between the CMD121P and the CMD121H?

Finally the Phil Jones bass session 77 -  I don’t need to go very loud, but I will need it to deal with the B string on a 5-String Bass...

Expert opinions deeply appreciated 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Keep an eye out for Hartke kickback or Gallien-Kruger GK combos too
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Have you seen there's a Phil Jones 77 in the classifieds, at a pretty reasonable price?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/166379/

I have no idea whether it'll handle a low B string without a larger driver, but worth a punt at that price IMO!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23933
    I’ve had Italian and Indo Markbass. No problems with either.

Currently running the Marcus Ltd Gold Line 800 head.

the 121H is better than the P.

bigger box, far far better tweeter. Sounds much more open. The P sounds a bit boxy when pushed.

However, get a MB head and then the Barefaced One10 cab to go with it.
    Amazing mini rig that will get over most drummers too. I use that rig with a 25 piece big band. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    I have a Phil Jones Session 77 for sale in Classifieds. It's my second PJB combo, I previously had a Double Four. They are both extremely well made amps by someone with a deep knowledge of how bass works - I believe he designs his own speakers. I was initially  sceptical of how such small drivers would sound but I was totally won over. PJB amps really reveal the true acoustic sound quality of the bass you plug in: The Double Four slightly more so than the Session 77 (but that could be down to my change of instrument - previously I was using a Hofner and a Ric, while I've been playing exclusively Jazz Bass through the Session 77.

They are both ideal units for practise and home playing as they feature Aux in which is handy for drum machine or music player. I use a 4 string through the Session 77 but I think you'd have no problem with a 5. The Double Four likes being placed adjacent to a wall or corner ideally, to benefit from the sound reflection. The Session 77 has a curved front and sound seems to emanate more naturally without special placement.

Why did I decide to sell? They're both solid state amps and while I thought that with bass that wouldn't be an issue for me, I find that actually I much prefer a valve sound - I'm currently playing through a WEM Westminster guitar combo but at the volumes I need at home it works fine. I find I prefer the response to plucking the strings and digging in on a bass into a valve amp but for strictly utilitarian purposes, the PJB solid state units are exceptional amps.

If you are near by, you are welcome to visit and try the Session 77 out to see if it's to your taste.
  • Hi, I had the Markbass Jeff Lynn combo when it first came out....great amp, powerful, super tone and easy to carry. Used it for 2 years with no issues or problems......
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23933
    Hi, I had the Markbass Jeff Lynn combo when it first came out....great amp, powerful, super tone and easy to carry. Used it for 2 years with no issues or problems......
    Was it blue?
  • mrn1989mrn1989 Frets: 240
    Having owned Mark Bass & Phil Jones, Id go EBS
    Fretboard Feedback https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58705/  ALSO Over 500+ 100% feedback eBay transactions 
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 282
    edited November 2019

However, get a MB head and then the Barefaced One10 cab to go with it.
    Amazing mini rig that will get over most drummers too. I use that rig with a 25 piece big band. 
    This. The One10 is fantastic. And there’s a wide range of mini bass heads available. Such a rig is just as convenient and portable as a combo and is much more flexible.