MatchEQ, a good thing?

I was introduced to a MatchEQ plugin today.   Where it can learn the eq of a reference track,  and then another track,  then it calculates the variance in eq across these tracks and then applies the difference to the destination track. 

For those that mix regularly,  is this technique scoffed at or actually a useful feature? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It can be useful as a last resort, say if you track two guitar parts and one is brighter than the other. You can kinda compensate.

Bye!

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    Maybe on a single track, but my experiments with a full mix have produced some odd results.
  • Yeah you wouldn't do it on a full mix really. It's not clever enough for that.

Bye!

• Does it need to have similar pitch content? ie/ If i found some isolated guitar in like drop B and then applied the EQ match to something in drop C# is it smart enough tor realise that the fundamental has shifted? Thinking particularly in the low end obviously. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I would say the closer the better. Because obviously different keys have different fundamental frequencies to them, which then necessitates different 2nd, 3rd, 4th, order harmonics, etc. So yeah, the closer the better.

Otherwise you might end up bringing out resonances that aren't really relevant to your audio, essentially mushing the shit out of it. Or into it. Depending on your perspective.

Bye!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Yeah I would never use it on a whole mix.
    I've used it before for overdubs recorded in a different room/on a different day to the main tracking.