Recording yourself using Helix LT as interface

I often play along to backing tracks or songs that i play through my Helix, roughly adjusting the mix using the volume control on my PC (where i play the songs from).
PC is connected to Helix via usb, both songs and my guitar through the helix seem to come out my monitors with no issues.
Would like to record this, to see how well im doing
is this hard with what i have? Do i need a DAW?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yeh a DAW - Reaper.fm is worth checking out.
  • JohnCordy said:
    Yeh a DAW - Reaper.fm is worth checking out.
    Thanks, is this relatively easy to set up ?
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    At it's simplest, you could just record into the basic audio recorder on the PC, or use something fairly simple like Audacity.

Bit Reaper would give you more control.

I know computers, and am reasonably bright, but know Sqrt(FA) about DAWs and audio recording, and I've got Reaper to the point where I can record multiple tracks, do punch-ins etc. etc. - there's an excellent set of video tutorials for each part of the system. The hardest bit is remembering to go into the Options to pick the correct input sources. If you've got HX Edit installed already chances are it will have the Helix listed under the ASIO section anyway.
  • Yes. If you install it I'll be happy to talk you through it. It's easy enough
  • Well it was fairly easy to get Reaper set up and recording, Helix was listed in the ASIO section, i feel i'm definitely staring down a rabbit hole though.
    How hard is it to record video as well?
  • Easy. You just record video. Then put the two pieces together on editing software
  • JohnCordy said:
    Easy. You just record video. Then put the two pieces together on editing software
    Gonna give it a go....cheers
  • Reaper can also do basic video editing