Pacifica Project.

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14409
    Paging @ICBM for instructions on how to place a resistor in circuit so that single coils "see" 250k and humbuckers "see" 500k.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Paging @ICBM for instructions on how to place a resistor in circuit so that single coils "see" 250k and humbuckers "see" 500k.
    I really should know how to work this out. Slightly embarrassing as I work with Fire alarm systems, which are full of resistors!
     I am also muting the idea of adding a tone pot, so one for each pick up. A 500k push pull for splitting the humbucker, and a 300k pot for the P90. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea. There's room for another pot with minimal routing.
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    Wouldn't it just be a switchable resistor between the centre lug (output) and the earth? You'd need a push/pull pot or a mini-switch, but it'd be pretty simple to do.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72232
    ADP said:
    Wouldn't it just be a switchable resistor between the centre lug (output) and the earth? You'd need a push/pull pot or a mini-switch, but it'd be pretty simple to do.
    You can easily do it without any additional switching, using the pickup selector switch since there is only one tone control. Connect both rotors of the selector switch together - this will be the two middle terminals on the type of switch usually used in the Pacifica - and a 470K resistor to ground from both of the unused switch terminals which are active in the neck and middle positions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2019
    ICBM said:
    ADP said:
    You can easily do it without any additional switching, using the pickup selector switch since there is only one tone control. Connect both rotors of the selector switch together - this will be the two middle terminals on the type of switch usually used in the Pacifica - and a 470K resistor to ground from both of the unused switch terminals which are active in the neck and middle positions.
    That's genius. I assume that works by virtue of it being in parallel with the 500k pot?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72232
    CeeJay said:

I assume that works by virtue of it being in parallel with the 500k pot?
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• An interesting project. I have the same guitar, and I've replaced the pickups with a Gibson humbucker (with A3 magnets) in the bridge position, and a pair of Fender single coils of some description in the middle and neck. They are very well balanced.

My current problem (I say current - I'm not actively working on this guitar) is getting the bridge to work properly. I fitted a custom-made steel block but I can't get the bridge to work properly. It sticks in two positions.

Meh, one day I'll get round to fixing it.

R.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Upgrading the bridge can be problematic as the stock unit is narrower than most replacements (both in string spacing and fixing screw spacing).

Wilkinson does one ... Yamaha used Wilkinson bridges on its higher-end Pacificas.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:

Upgrading the bridge can be problematic as the stock unit is narrower than most replacements (both in string spacing and fixing screw spacing).

Wilkinson does one ... Yamaha used Wilkinson bridges on its higher-end Pacificas.
    Do you happen to know what model?

R.
    Fretwired said:

I'm struggling to find one with the required 52.5mm spacing between the outer mounting and string holes
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited November 2019
    CeeJay said:
    Fretwired said:

I'm struggling to find one with the required 52.5mm spacing between the outer mounting and string holes

The 52.5mm is used by Fender's Mexican Strat .. here's a video which answers your question at 5.50

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• The 52.5mm is used by Fender's Mexican Strat .. here's a video which answers your question at 5.50
    Thanks.

R.
    He's contradicting himself in the video. He quotes a Wilkinson Part number WVP6 as a direct replacement for a Pacifica. The WVP6 has a 56mm hole spacing, then says you might need to drill a hole?

I think this is the kiddie, but seems cheap for a Fender Part?
     https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Vintage-Style-Standard-Series-Strat-Tele-Tremolo-Assembly/QWU
  • I've ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LB1020E

I'll be interested to see if it makes any difference to the stock trem.

R.
    edited November 2019
    I've ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LB1020E

R.
    Looks like the same thin block as the stock item. I'd be looking for something a bit chunkier before I part with the dollar.
    Crikey. Just noticed it comes with all the bits! For less than 20 quid........Dubious.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJay said:
    I've ordered one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LB1020E

R.
    Looks like the same thin block as the stock item. I'd be looking for something a bit chunkier before I part with the dollar.
    Crikey. Just noticed it comes with all the bits! For less than 20 quid........Dubious.
    I'm not too worried about the block - I have a rolled steel one from Kev Hurley. I just want the trem to work :)

R.
    edited November 2019
    So I decided to document the process in a Blog. It's my first ever blog, and my first attempt at guitar modifications, so excuse the unprofessional approach on both counts. Just putting it out for anyone that's interested.

https://wcg666.wixsite.com/pacifica-upgrade

• I like the blog.  :)

I liked the guitar too until you set fire to the poor thing!

Quite fancy doing something similar, but with a Strat neck pickup, P90 in the middle and something Tele-ish at the bridge. 

Of course, I'll let you do all the hard work first then blatantly copy your ideas.  =)
    I like the blog.  :)

I liked the guitar too until you set fire to the poor thing!

Quite fancy doing something similar, but with a Strat neck pickup, P90 in the middle and something Tele-ish at the bridge. 

Of course, I'll let you do all the hard work first then blatantly copy your ideas.  =)
    That pick up configuration had crossed my mind, as I can easily open out the middle hole for a P90, and I'm having trouble sourcing a scratchplate minus the middle hole, short of getting one made, which is quite expensive. They are 10 a penny in the old (pre 2007) shape). I am now leaning towards making a timber one myself, and setting fire to it of course.
    More progress added to the blog

https://wcg666.wixsite.com/pacifica-upgrade