Instrumentals/solos to learn for an experienced player

What's Hot
Hello all,

I've hit a bit of a rut and I'm bored.  I tend to play along with Megadeth, etc. and managed well with the rhythms, less so the solos (example, I can nearly play Marty's Lucretia solo - the last lick is a bit fast...).  And I feel a bit bored.

Can anybody suggest any songs (preferably instrumentals but not necessarily) that would be good for helping develop better technique that aren't stupidly fast or technical?  Preferably rock/blues/metal/prog (or played with a pick!).

Thanks!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    Passion and Warfare or Alien Love Secrets, by Vai. Both are fun and not too difficult for an intermediate player. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Personally, as Megadeth is not my cup of tea, I would be bored trying to learn any of their songs. Who or which bands do you enjoy? I wonder whether Joe Satriani (eg. Always with me, always withg you) might be up your street - and I see that viz has suggested Steve Vai, in a similar vein.
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    Joe Satriani has some crazy licks but interesting too
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8702
    The keyboard solo in Toto’s Africa. It’s surprisingly guitar friendly, but different.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Check out Premiata Forneria Marconi, plenty of tracks with excellent guitar parts.
  • This is not a Joke!

If you're bored, you need something fun to learn, whatever the style. I've done these, it's great to try something a bit different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89BQVqBO9XY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvXhM3yb5gw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dosBIlMcMpQ

So, get your Reverb on :)

As an aside, I've always felt really satisfied when I've learned something from a Soundtrack or a given well known theme and it's an education as the compositions are more complex than they sound. We just recognise them as "Catchy" which doesn't do a lot of music the justice it deserves.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • second what @viz has said - would also add an instrumental called 'I'm Alright' by a guy called Neil Zaza. I don't know much about him, but it's a really nice song with a great melody and not overly technical (as far as I know, never actually tried learning it :) ). 
  • Thanks, all.  Some good suggestions!  I actually started trying to learn Satch's Boogie, not that I am a particular fan, just something to do.  Maybe a bit tough in places but cool tune.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Thanks, all.  Some good suggestions!  I actually started trying to learn Satch's Boogie, not that I am a particular fan, just something to do.  Maybe a bit tough in places but cool tune.
    Satch Boogie is a laugh. Used to play it as a duo with Mike_Strat (FOTP)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Stargazer from the album Rainbow rising is very melodic but hard to nail. The slide bits can be done well enough by bending.
    The fast ascending run is hard to play accurately. ( i'm still trying)
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I'm a big fan of Eric Haugen's The War On Drugs tutorials on YouTube. Some nice little flourishes. 
  • Johnny A  - I particularly like the stuff he did on his first 2 Albums. I don't think his third CD is as good, and found it a bit self-indulgent in places.
  • Eugene's Trickbag from the end of the Crossroads movie. There are some massively unfamiliar shapes and patterns in there.
  • satch - secret prayer