Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Junior V Special

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
edited November 2019 in Guitar
You think there is a sonic difference at all due to only one pick up and cavity? 

Oh, is the pick up mounting on the Junior different too from the bridge pick up setting on the special?
tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There are various theories about magnetic interference and (I believe) harmonic nodes... Plus folk talk about the single route allowing greater/uninterrupted resonance. 

I'm no expert, but I certainly believe that my Esquire sounds better than the same guitar did as a standard Tele. 

Regarding mountings- aren't Specials usually soapbar rather than Jr's Dog-ears? No idea whether this has an impact, but Dog ears LOOK cooler to me! 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    the special is better, twice as good in fact, due to it having double the amount of pickupacitators
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Doug & Pat compared Jr to a Special in this video, the Jr sounded better to my ears. It's a long video so wind forward to see the comparison

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    edited November 2019
    There are three major differences:

Special neck tenon routed through - on double-cuts, the difference on singles is only the very end of the tenon.
    Magnetic pull of the neck pickup on the Special
    Dogear vs soapbar pickup mounting

I owned two vintage ones at the same time, both '57s - the Junior was far more aggressive, sustaining and powerful-sounding - the Special was thinner, brighter and spikier. Unsurprisingly and annoyingly, I prefered the Special's versatility and its neck and middle sounds, but the Junior's bridge pickup sound. Which of the differences was most responsible I'm not sure... if it's the pickup mounting you could fix a Special (though probably not on a 50s one!) by changing the mount to a dogear.

Of course it might have just been the difference between two different guitars of the same model anyway.

For what it's worth, and totally contrary to popular wisdom, both guitars sounded better with an original Leo Quan Badass bridge than they did with the stopbar. (Although I only had one Badass, so I couldn't do a direct A/B comparison.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• abw1989abw1989 Frets: 635
    If you buy one of right (or wrong depending on your preference) ones you get the Junior with the extra pick up cavity:

Note the lack of neck pick up mounted to the pickguard.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Thanks all......so on a Junior there is no cavity.......pick up is top mounted?
    tae be or not tae be
    Hootsmon said:
    Thanks all......so on a Junior there is no cavity.......pick up is top mounted?
    There is a cavity, but the pickup is suspended over the top of it and the ends of the baseplate are screwed to the body under the cover's dog ears.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Since i ama here....which do you prefer....sunburst (baccy) or TV yellow?
    tae be or not tae be
    does any one have a pic of a Junior with scratch plate and pick up removed?
    tae be or not tae be
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    ICBM said:
    There are three major differences:

Special neck tenon routed through - on double-cuts, the difference on singles is only the very end of the tenon.
    Magnetic pull of the neck pickup on the Special
    Dogear vs soapbar pickup mounting

I owned two vintage ones at the same time, both '57s - the Junior was far more aggressive, sustaining and powerful-sounding - the Special was thinner, brighter and spikier. Unsurprisingly and annoyingly, I prefered the Special's versatility and its neck and middle sounds, but the Junior's bridge pickup sound. Which of the differences was most responsible I'm not sure... if it's the pickup mounting you could fix a Special (though probably not on a 50s one!) by changing the mount to a dogear.

Of course it might have just been the difference between two different guitars of the same model anyway.

For what it's worth, and totally contrary to popular wisdom, both guitars sounded better with an original Leo Quan Badass bridge than they did with the stopbar. (Although I only had one Badass, so I couldn't do a direct A/B comparison.)
    I'm not convinced by the idea that the Junior is a better sounding guitar - I've played great and no-so-great Juniors and the same with Specials. The problem is that you never know whether you're just hearing the differences in the individual guitars rather than the presence or lack of the neck pickup pull, for example. People waffle on about the magnetic pull of the neck pickup, but it doesn't seem to be a problem on Bursts.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    Hootsmon said:
    TV Yellow every time - brilliant colour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Hootsmon said:
    Neither - both ugly in my opinion. The sunburst wouldn't be as bad if it didn't have the horrible yellow paint in the middle.

Cherry is the best finish, although of course historically 'incorrect' on single-cut ones.

Brize said:

I'm not convinced by the idea that the Junior is a better sounding guitar - I've played great and no-so-great Juniors and the same with Specials. The problem is that you never know whether you're just hearing the differences in the individual guitars rather than the presence or lack of the neck pickup pull, for example. People waffle on about the magnetic pull of the neck pickup, but it doesn't seem to be a problem on Bursts.
    It's not as strong on humbuckers, the magnetic field is more diffuse.

I agree about not knowing whether you're hearing the individual guitar or an inherent difference though.

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Hootsmon said:
    Neither - both ugly in my opinion. The sunburst wouldn't be as bad if it didn't have the horrible yellow paint in the middle.

Cherry is the best finish, although of course historically 'incorrect' on single-cut ones.

There's a 59 junior painted cherry, never seen it but it's recorded, so it could be vintage correct, I've thought about doing that myself
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • I've played and compared quite a few 50's juniors and specials. I do think the juniors are a little more aggressive, ballsy sounding. I think junior vs special makes more of a difference sonically than single vs double cut. Both are great sounding guitars, I like the neck pickup on a special and also the lovely jangly clean sound of the mid position.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6904
    ICBM said:
    Hootsmon said:
    It’s the yellow that makes it for me! 

My vote is (proper vintage with yellow =) ) sunburst on a junior and TV on a special. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18728
    Misleading thread title.
    I expected some discussion of these  ;)  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited November 2019
    Hootsmon said:
    does any one have a pic of a Junior with scratch plate and pick up removed?

And one being refinished... 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18728
    Nice pics :+1: 

Genuine unrelated question. If lacquer cracking/crazing is considered to be caused by temperature variations, why doesn't this seem to extend to body cavities?

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Nice pics :+1: 

Genuine unrelated question. If lacquer cracking/crazing is considered to be caused by temperature variations, why doesn't this seem to extend to body cavities?

It does on the one above... prolly not picked up so well by the camera as it’s on a different plane to the face of the body and the lights catching it differently... but you can just see it.
  • Misleading thread title.I expected some discussion of these  ;)   
    Me too, but I got excited about something like this:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom