Late to the 'back in shape' party - any other slow starters wanting to buddy up?

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1190
edited November 2019 in Off Topic
https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/164568/finally-going-to-get-back-into-shape/p1

I've been following this thread and finally want to get my fat arse back in gear. I'm 60, and I've been doing HIIT and various other exercises for quite a few years but fell off the wagon a while ago. I want to get back to doing some proper resistance training and not just rely on HIIT and cardio, because I know it's really important. I also want to get back on a LCHF diet too, with a view to losing some weight but also mainly starting to feel better again. I've had various times when I've felt really good on exercise and diet but find it too easy to slide off the wagon and then struggle to get back on it. But I'm going to do it now.

I found the Peter Brukner in that other thread talk really inspiring - I kind of knew this but hearing it set out so clearly really helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=4WPF3RMPI9k&feature=emb_logo

I want to be back in a proper groove before Xmas so that I'm not tempted to slide into eating all the usual shit that's around then. I've a new album coming out next year, so I want to have the energy and drive to do a decent job on promoting it and playing some lively, energetic shows.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• camfcamf Frets: 1190
    I'm 60 and I'm going to get my metric stats measured today so at least I know where I'm starting from. I was about 6kg lighter 18 months ago, and for various reasons (some genuinely beyond my control), I've really let things slide. But starting from here... no more! :)
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    edited November 2019
    I am in too.   me vital stats are currently 54 years old 186cm tall and 89kg in weight.

just finished losing some 4 3/4 stone in weight through diet alone now keen to get my much healthier and lighter frame moving

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2019
    That, mate, is a straight up superb achievement. I'll bet there's a lot of folk on here who would like to be able to lose even half of that. Me for one!

My saving grace is that I've kept reasonably active. Even when I'm not going to the gym, although I work from home, I still get up and head out with my wife and walk up the hill to her work. We stop for a coffee together, which is a very civilised way to start the day, then I walk back down the road and start the fannying around process that passes for my working day. As a result of this, although I sit on my arse most days, I still have a daily average of 11,200 steps for the past year. At least that gives a base for getting back to the gym - I think I've been about 5 times in the last month. Onwards! 

Target for tomorrow is a gym session at 6am. Going to see Calexico and Iron and Wine playing tonight but it won't be a late one so I should still be in bed early enough to get up at 5.50 and stumble down the road to the gym. 
    thanks @camf not easy initially but surprising how your body adapts to far far less food, certainly made me Dr Wife a bit nervous but all y bloods etc are great..i started by not eating before lunch time  and then only having something small and light.

absolutely fucking starving for the first few weeks but then that subsided
    First day report.

Went to see Calexico and Iron & Wine last night - if I'm being honest, they were a bit dull but the support, Lisa O'Neill, was amazing. If you like folk music in any form, go see her if you get the chance. Anyway, not sure why, but I struggled to get to sleep and eventually turned off my alarm for getting to the gym. Happily-ish, fate intervened and I found myself wide awake at 5.30 after only less than 6 hours sleep. I grumpily got myself and went to the gym for 20 mins cardio warm up and then 40 mins of resistance training. By the time I got back home, I felt pretty pleased with having made the effort.

Regarding diet, I did some more research and I think I'm going to settle on a low carb diet for the next few weeks. I've long suspected sugar messes me up so I want to at least try to do something about trying to do without it, or at least a lot less of it. We'll see how it goes. But it's 10pm and I'm whacked. 

Anyway, a good day and a decent start. 
  • Really need to get the finger out too, Cam. 

I'm fairly active and the meals I eat are healthy. My problem is absolutely no self-control when it comes to snacks. Oh, and a love for craft beer. 

Anyone got any practical tips for cutting down on snacking? "just don't" doesn't work...
    following on from @camf    today 160 press ups    30mins of core strengthening  light eating meant to run but couldn't be arsed   will try again tomorrow
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited November 2019
    Really need to get the finger out too, Cam. 

I'm fairly active and the meals I eat are healthy. My problem is absolutely no self-control when it comes to snacks. Oh, and a love for craft beer. 

Anyone got any practical tips for cutting down on snacking? "just don't" doesn't work...

Could try filling up more wit good stuff at mealtimes. Or swapping to healthier snacks.

It's meant to be better for you to eat small and often though I think. 

I can't really handle big meals these days so I have to snack all day to keep me going. Try to keep grapes blueberries carrots things like that.
  • I’ve lost about 7 and 1/4 lb since sept 22.  Am going into eating mode 19th December til after new year then back to the regime .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Really need to get the finger out too, Cam. 

You may be able to cut down on the effects of the snacking by; only snacking at specific times, finding distractions to avoid snacking, snacking on healthy/low calorie foods, reducing meal sizes to spread your calorie intake throughout day (but don't eat late at night).

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

Fill up on greens, and track calories.
    Shoot for a 500 calorie a day deficit to your BMR and then exercise on top.
    Drop alcohol completely.

It is the fastest way that is safe.
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 448
    edited November 2019
    16:8 diet and (relatively) heavy weights, concentrating on the big compound exercises with really good form (and some sets of very slow reps, 1 second up, 4 secs down) and some bodyweight exercises (chins, dips).  

Consistency is the key 

That worked for me - I’m 170cm and 68kg and in the best shape I’ve been in for years and stronger than I’ve ever been 

Ha! You're a science guy, I bet if you did two things every time you decided to snack, you'd get it under control in no time. Firstly, before you go to have any snack, drink a glass of water. Then, and I'd suggest this is the main point, record it - on notepad on your phone maybe? I bet the glass of water will make you pause to decide if you really want to go ahead, then the recording process will give you all the data to identify and change your snacking habit (or addiction?) Give it a try.

Anyway, I'm fasting this morning. It sucks, so it had better work. 
    Well, pretty good day yesterday with the 16:8 fasting and cutting down the carbs... that was, until I went to a gig and had a beer. Doh! But aside from that, pretty good. Made it to the gym this morning and had a solid work out with a mix of some cardio and weights. Been fasting since that regrettable beer (wasn't even a decent pint), and since that was in the evening, I'm going to have to fast a while longer for penance. I've been feeling really hungry since I got back from the gym but I'm managing to hold out. But I fear I might cave in by 12.30. 

Anyway, don't worry, I won't be doing daily updates as that would be too dull for everyone, but I'm off to a decent start. And twice to the gym so far, so that's good. HIIT session looming next, I think. 

In other news, the gig was great. Withered Hand are really good, although Dan (who kind of is Withered Hand) takes shambling and bumbling between songs to the very edge of tolerable. Thankfully, he's funny, charming and engaging enough to not let it become annoying... but sometimes only by a whisker. 

I keep thinking about Lisa O'Neill's set on Monday night. I'm not a big folk music fan but she gave a masterclass in engaging an audience and giving it all in a performance. 

(And this has eaten up another few minutes before I fire into lunch... eaten... eats...... oh.......... quiet sob.............)

Onwards. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    embrace hunger...a forgotten sensation for many here....  that's how I sorted out the "addiction" I had to eating
    I'm not sure I'm really embracing it. It's more like I'm letting it sit smugly in the corner and trying not to go over and slap its face with a tasty giant burrito. But I'm fine, though. Totally managing this. :)
  • Did I miss a Withered Hand gig? Ffs! 
    Three of them. Three nights at the Voodoo Rooms. But Friday is sold out. :/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2157
    I've dropped about two and a half stone since the start of July. I started cycling to work, which is only 16 miles a day. I feel like I've plateaued atm though, I need to reintroduce some form of strength training again. I have some kettle bells and those are great, I know just an extra three 30 minute sessions a week would be the push I need. 

My friend is a psychotherapist and he said if you continue something for six weeks straight, it becomes habit forming. 
    That's why cycling always works for me, its part of my day to day. 

We've also cut down completely on junk food (literally no takeaways at all). We scehdule a healthy meal plan for the upcoming week.
     And we make sure we have the right sort of snacks in the house helps a lot. For instance for a chocolate hit we have those fibre one bars that are only 90 odd calories. For a cheese fix those laughing cow light triangles are about 25-50 calories. No crisps at all in the house, and having a Brita filter for water helps. We rarely drink beer anymore, and avoid anything breaded and beige.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    its all lifestyle....the amount of calories available to us all is unbelievable..everywhere you look, there is food.  itss madness.

the one advert that really stuck with me as an indication of how fucked things are was the Snickers one where one was encouraged to eat one and "say good bye to hunger".  never need have a hunger pang again. and there lies the essence of it for me.

people have forgotten that it is normal to be famished before a meal....