Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Mourinho Out

What's Hot
..so how long...or will he deliver a trophy for Spurs
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strange appointment - was Benitez not approached ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4915
    2 years max?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair his win rate at Spurs has been woeful to date
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12325
    What a waste, Allardyce is available!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shocked and gutted.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    "Will he deliver a trophy"?

Probably.  It's what he does.

However, the how he does it will probably leave (us) Spurs fans longing for the days of Poch-without-a-trophy.

I don't understand the appointment.  His (recent) style is to spend big buying established players, who shine for a season or two before fading rapidly - more or less as Mourinho does himself.  

I can't see Levy funding that approach.  He's not done so previously, and I don't think that Spurs have the funds to do it now.

Also, it seems incompatible with what Spurs have been doing in recent years - investing substantially in their academy to develop young players who come through into the team, already playing as "Spurs" players.  That's a longer-term bet and one that was always going to take longer than 5 years to establish.  

So, why Mourinho?  Why Mourinho with a contract through to 2022/23?

I can only hope that Mourinho is a changed character (LOL) who's seen the error of his ways thanks to his ManU experience and wants to get back to a slightly humbler approach and persona.

"so how long"?

Probably mid next season, when Spurs realise their error, go for Eddie Howe.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    edited November 2019
    Probably Premiership survival and a FA cup run or two. Scrape into Europe league at best. Much as I dislike Chelsea I think Lampard (by necessity) has shown the way - bring on the talent, not the Mourhino doctrine, but we'll see

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Mourinho’s personality changed for the worst after the lady doctor episode while at Chelsea.Seems he never recovered from that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I HATED him at Man U. I had to turn his whiny voice off every time he came on the radio moaning. We may have done better under him, but it isn't ALL about results. Naturally, I hope it goes badly for Spurs now, I don't like Levy at all. 

Mourinho's style is out of date now. He really captured something at Chelsea first time around but times have moved on. He's just a grumpy git now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    edited November 2019
    I suppose if Levy is in charge of transfers and Mourinho in charge of the squad, that could at least be a different dynamic for him, perhaps more similar to when Abramovich used to just buy who he wanted and left the managers to it.

Except that Abramovich spent hundreds of millions whereas Levy only spends £50 plus add ons.

I can't imagine Spurs winning any charm awards whilst Levy and Mourinho are at the helm....
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Such an odd appointment, he will want hundreds of millions to spend to deliver success, he won't get it, and if he does, it begs the question why not give that money to the outstanding manager they already had?
  • Yeah, a strange hire if they're not prepared to do things his way. Although he doesn't talk about it much (perhaps just because the British press doesn't ask), I reckon the team he'd like back is his Inter side. Bunch of old pros (Zanetti, Samuel, Cambiasso, Eto'o, Maicon, Milito etc) and a couple of slightly younger players (Sneijder, Muntari) who didn't need babysitting.

If you're principally interested in the tactical side of management, and in winning, it's not hard to understand why you'd press for that sort of team wherever you go. I always find it a bit odd when he's bashed for being 'all about results', because I'd always prefer my (theoretical) club to push all the chips into the middle of the table once in a while and really go for it, even if that means having to tear it all down again three years later. Otherwise, what's the point?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:

I can only hope that Mourinho is a changed character (LOL) who's seen the error of his ways thanks to his ManU experience and wants to get back to a slightly humbler approach and persona.
    Have an LOL for that.

He's too much of an egomaniac to ever be humble, he will never be responsible for anything that happens on the pitch if the teams loses but if the team wins then he will take all the glory.  Of course there were many, many mistakes that happened at Man United that he wasn't responsible (management of the squad, etc) but things which was responsible for eg tactics on the pitch, recruitment of a few players that were definitely his choice (Matic being the very worst player signed by the club for a while).

I think JM will definitely have a positive impact at Spurs to begin with but he'll start bickering with the fans, players and management when he's not given £400m to sign Willian, Matic and Gary Cahill.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    He's not exactly popular at Spurs, having poached Willian from under our noses after he'd had a medical. There were also his comments about us parking the team bus, a tactic he was no stranger to himself.

We have a tradition of decent football, which he doesn't necessarily bring with him. (Okay, it's a tradition often breached rather than adhered to, and since the turn of the year our League form has been shocking.)

He also brings a tradition of spending huge amounts, which he may have to breach when dealing with Daniel Levy.

George Graham was a winner, but we played horrible football under him and other than some trophy-seekers he wasn't popular with the fans. But, to be fair, he was a Woolwich stalwart, so he had that handicap.

I'll wait and see before loathing him.

• Got to hand it to Jose, still trying to get United in the top 4......

Spurs have dropped a right bollock here. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Could be perfect for Spuds they need a trophy to put in the new stadium cheese room sorry trophy room

Seriously Mourinho is a serial winner even at utd he won a couple of pots. With spuds current side and possibly an addition or two. I can see him winning trophy or two. Love him or hate him he delivers silverware might be worth a £10 on spuds to win europa league if they fail to qualify for CL knockout stage. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalf said:
    We have a tradition of decent football, which he doesn't necessarily bring with him.

George Graham was a winner, but we played horrible football under him and other than some trophy-seekers he wasn't popular with the fans.
    What 'price' would you be willing to pay for a major trophy (League or Champions League). Would you put up with five years of unattractive football? Ten? Would you take the trophy if it meant abandoning young prospects and being stuck with old, declining players on stupid contracts for a few seasons afterwards? Would success mean less if it was delivered by a bunch of people with no real ties to the club? Leicester fans must feel 15-16 was worth all the years in the footballing wilderness, and more.

I'm genuinely interested – I don't follow any team at club level but Levy's apparent ambivalence about winning would drive me insane if I was a Spurs fan.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    barnstorm said:
    scrumhalf said:
    We have a tradition of decent football, which he doesn't necessarily bring with him.

George Graham was a winner, but we played horrible football under him and other than some trophy-seekers he wasn't popular with the fans.
    What 'price' would you be willing to pay for a major trophy (League or Champions League). Would you put up with five years of unattractive football? Ten? Would you take the trophy if it meant abandoning young prospects and being stuck with old, declining players on stupid contracts for a few seasons afterwards? Would success mean less if it was delivered by a bunch of people with no real ties to the club? Leicester fans must feel 15-16 was worth all the years in the footballing wilderness, and more.

I'm genuinely interested – I don't follow any team at club level but Levy's apparent ambivalence about winning would drive me insane if I was a Spurs fan.
    I'm not one of the trophy hunters. And I'm certainly not one of those who has no idea what things cost and think that we should mortgage our future to spend a fortune on players who may achieve buggerall.

We remember the words of Danny Blanchflower:
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    I was kinda holding out for his appointment at Southend United.  
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27429
    barnstorm said:
    What 'price' would you be willing to pay for a major trophy (League or Champions League). Would you put up with five years of unattractive football? 
    No.

barnstorm said:
    Ten? 
    Twice  No.

barnstorm said:
    Would you take the trophy if it meant abandoning young prospects and being stuck with old, declining players on stupid contracts for a few seasons afterwards? 
    No again, again and again.

barnstorm said:
    Would success mean less if it was delivered by a bunch of people with no real ties to the club? 
    Yes - it would be meaningless because it had been achieved by a bunch of mercenaries.  A group of  footballers whose only tie or allegiance is to the pay cheque.

With Poch I felt that Spurs were building a team with a shared belief in how to play.  It was more than a team - it was a culture, a philosophy, a shared set of values and beliefs. 

Mad perhaps  - after all, it's "only" a football team.

A team in which no player felt themselves more important than the team (Kane works as hard as anyone, all over the pitch).  A team that started with the academy and "grew" players in a Spurs way, who understood how to play in the team because it's how they'd learned to play since age X.  

Anyone with a  big enough cheque book can buy success.  That's not hard.  It's what Mourinho has done for years, it's what Man U did for many years (the "class of 92" aside).  Building - growing - a team with a shared belief is a lot harder.  And it might never lead to winning "the big one" (though Spurs came ridiculously close last year - ridiculously, painfully, heroically).

I'd rather lose 5 Champions League finals, with "Spurs" players who played for the team, rather than have a team of mercenaries win 1 League Cup.

But I'm a Spurs supporter since as long as I can remember (ie late 60s sometime), so I'm used to the Spursy way and it's what I've supported throughout my football-supporting life.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom