Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What record do you come back to years later and realise it had a big effect on you?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Superunknown has the opposite effect on me where I had a bad time with a girl and it brings it all back. Fantastic record but I can't break the link. It's been 20 odd years too. :(
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Superunknown has the opposite effect on me where I had a bad time with a girl and it brings it all back. Fantastic record but I can't break the link. It's been 20 odd years too. :(
    Understood. I feel the same way about Sigur Ros’ Takk,  Flaming Lips’ At War with the Mystics and Super Furries Lovecraft.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4181
    Andrew Lloyd Webber, Theme and Variations, basically Colosseum II in full neo classical flow and Gary Moore getting his Al DiMeola on :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Automatic for the People - REM. Bought it on the day of release, had just been at the time of me exploring REM’s back catalog, which in turn got me out of a guitar rut, and I played it to death. It’s never dated or done that thing of depicting a certain time/feeling, because I still stick it on a few times a year, so it’s stayed current with me. It’s still a beautiful record, probably no.1 for the desert island for me.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    sweepy said:
    Andrew Lloyd Webber, Theme and Variations, basically Colosseum II in full neo classical flow and Gary Moore getting his Al DiMeola on :)
    That is an awesome album! I still play it a lot. My mum & dad bought it when it came out.
    The album that defines me is Marillion's debut - Script for a jester's tear. I have never been more in love with a band. I was 20, having the time of my life at Art College in Norwich, such a great time of life for me. I had always been a prog fan, but Yes, Genesis etc weren't quite my generation. Neo prog was my time! I had got into Marillion before they had a record deal, seen them live in tiny venues, met the band, had Fish's phone number! I just rode the wave of their success and loved it! 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells - I'd never heard anything like it.

Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water - Made me want to be a bass player.

• Sweet Oblivion - Screaming Trees, easily meant as much to me as any Nirvana record at the time.

If you can read this then my time machine works.

My feedback thread is here.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57602/

• axisus said:
    The album that defines me is Marillion's debut - Script for a jester's tear. I have never been more in love with a band. I was 20, having the time of my life at Art College in Norwich, such a great time of life for me. I had always been a prog fan, but Yes, Genesis etc weren't quite my generation. Neo prog was my time! I had got into Marillion before they had a record deal, seen them live in tiny venues, met the band, had Fish's phone number! I just rode the wave of their success and loved it! 
    I've got this album - saw them at Friars , Aylesbury 1984 as i remember - gonna have to have a listen to it now 
    axisus said:
    I've got this album - saw them at Friars , Aylesbury 1984 as i remember - gonna have to have a listen to it now 
    Fish didn't have the strongest voice ever but he was in incredibly passionate singer, he could really add emotion to his lyrics. Also, Steve Rothery played amazing emotive guitar solos back in those early days.
  • I remember lots of keyboards which i lusted after in those days and the bass player being so short he disappeared under the dry ice !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    Boomtown Rats - A Tonic For The Troops

I never owned it originally, it was one of those albums one of my mates had and we would all get dodgy cassette copies - but it must have made an impression on me. I probably didn’t hear it between about 1980 and a couple of years ago when I picked it up on CD, and remembered almost every song. It’s an utter work of genius from start to finish.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    edited November 2019
    I was going to go for something by Dio but then I remembered an album I've not listened to for years. 

Gave it a spin and I can literally remember every track.  Got totally lost in just listening to it again.

Magnum - On a storyteller's night.
  • Steely Dan the royal scam,  mind blowing, never heard true musicianship and complicated melodys and arrangments like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Owned it on cassette back in the '80s when I was starting to listen to more challenging stuff, and have bought it on various other formats once or twice again over the years.  It's just so dense, rhythmically and melodically.  I could probably sit and listen to it again today, and pick out something I'd never noticed before.  One of the greatest examples of "the studio as creative instrument" ever.
    @DarnWeight -- Incredible album.  I don't really like anything else by Talking Heads but I remember my mate playing me this album and I was mesmerised.  Ages into playing my tape of it I remember noticing, probably stoned, that there's only one bass line per track... then every time I tried to confirm it later I never could because I'd just get drawn into the music again.  But yeah, incredible album.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited December 2019
    The two Joy Division albums, Unknown Pleasures & Closer. It wasn't an instant attraction, and it took me at least three goes over a number of years to get on the same page, but it was worth the perseverance. Whatever label you want to stick on their style of music, they wrote the blueprint for it, and rarely has such an obscure band travelled so well through music history.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5407
    Toto IV. Not much I can say about it that hasn’t already been said but it’s nearly a perfect record, timeless in production and songwriting, tasteful in performance and just incredible overall. I sometimes wanna make a throwback 80s-influenced yacht rock/AOR crossover callback to it myself but I am not good enough at *any* of the instruments to even come close. It’s a masterpiece.