CITES

What's Hot
impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
So...

Its the 20th November.

Does that mean that CITES no longer applies to imports of guitars with RW fingerboards. I tried a google search but most things looked out of date...

I am considering a guitar that is currently in the US, made in the early 90s and has a RW board - any knowledge gratefully received.
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14219
    tFB Trader
    Looks like delays due to the EU not ready - I was told 2/3 weeks by the MIA, but someone else on FB the other day said 90 days

But yes CITES is due to finish on rosewood (except Braz) - I believe different rules apply to 'blank woods' but for a finished guitar the end of CITES is imminent 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Thanks, chap. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

tFB Trader
    just noticed - the 26th Nov is the official end date - Not 20th

I have a M/Built JC Strat due from the USA very soon - Because of the EU delay in getting the info out to the appropriate sources, it will still be sent with a CITES certificate - God only knows why the EU can't be ready for the 27th - I can understand the need to implement a new process, but not to actually finish such a process - Just shows what a pain authorities can be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What's the impact on vintage guitars - so old Braz board Fenders and Gibsons just can't be moved from outside of Europe and vice versa?

Unless you jump on a plane and blag it! 
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    just noticed - the 26th Nov is the official end date - Not 20th

I have a M/Built JC Strat due from the USA very soon - Because of the EU delay in getting the info out to the appropriate sources, it will still be sent with a CITES certificate - God only knows why the EU can't be ready for the 27th - I can understand the need to implement a new process, but not to actually finish such a process - Just shows what a pain authorities can be
    Silly isn't it?
    They have had 3 months to implement the changes, yet still lag behind the rest of the world. APHA are still playing catch-up on the volume of applications that have been submitted due to the CITES meeting delay and this extra delay will put more strain on them.
    Monday I was told that it was hoped the legislation would be in place first week in December but there is no official date from the EU.
    tFB Trader
    What's the impact on vintage guitars - so old Braz board Fenders and Gibsons just can't be moved from outside of Europe and vice versa?

Unless you jump on a plane and blag it! 
    The position on Brz has not changed - Legally you need a certificate to sell it anywhere in the world, even from a UK seller to a UK buyer  - Note the word legally - Often/always/sometimes ignored - This applies to a private sale or via a dealer

It is a bit more complex than this as well so will update later as just nipping out now
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2860
    edited November 2019
    @guitars4you - so it changes today?

So heres an example of guitar treatment only this morning. 

So literally just had a call from ups, as I'm waiting in for a delivery of a 2000 maple neck/ fb strat from the states.
    Ups, Can you tell me what wood it's made of?
    Me, Er, it's a maple neck and absolutely doesn't have any rosewood on it. 
    Ups, Great, we will clear it now. 
    Me, Phew! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you - so it changes today?

So heres an example of guitar treatment only this morning. 

So literally just had a call from ups, as I'm waiting in for a delivery of a 2000 maple neck/ fb strat from the states.
    Ups, Can you tell me what wood it's made of?
    Me, Er, it's a maple neck and absolutely doesn't have any rosewood on it. 
    Ups, Great, we will clear it now. 
    Me, Phew! 
    I'm told it could be another 2 months for the EU to finish with any CITES

Totally crazy - I can understand a system needing to be put in place for the introduction of a policy - So time required accordingly to implement it, especially in a larger organisation

But why the hell do we need a delay to not to have to do something anymore - You know longer have to be concerned about it, so what is the issue - It just shows how inefficient big organisations become
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    Maybe brexit will help getting it done faster.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @brooom - lol, I was watching French TV today. They were reporting that the French farmers get the largest subsidy of any country in the EU but they're unhappy with the level of beauracracy - saying all the rules seem to be made by people in offices who have never been outside in the real world :-) 
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1174
    edited November 2019
    Darn french, they're never happy with anything or anyone. Let's deliver Frexit as well.