Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

early retirement survive on 1.5k a month yes of no?

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
edited November 2019 in Off Topic
I have the chance of earlyish retirement
 I'm 54 no mortgage, car paid for, no debt, no kids ,pension adviser said i would easily have 1.5k a month to live off ,basic outgoings inc food fuel gas leccy poll tax water £800 .

Not into designer stuff or flash holidays just steady away ,worried about running out of my drawdown pension ,got full serps in so at 67 get the full pension ,Im 99.9% ready to go ,my pension adviser said i will be ok with no probs.

Anyone been in the same boat ? and what did you do ?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    I work full time with wife and kid. after the rent is paid we have less than £1500 to live off
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    retire early - get old quickly
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010
    Dominic said:

only if you have no imagination
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Dominic said:
    Utter bollocks, chance to enjoy life while still young enough....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    Dominic said:
    This happened to my Parents.... retired at 50&51.....don’t do it, get a part time job to keep you interesting and flexing your social skills...  B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18829
    A lot depends on your pension scheme. I was in the LGPS & was made redundant, so due to my length of service etc. I could access my pension rights early.
    About a grand a month is just fine for me as my circumstances are very similar to yours (no mortgage, cars & guitars paid for, no debt, no kids, no partner...sadly, but not through choice). 
    I would suggest it would be highly advisable to have a reasonable emergency cash contingency buffer, just in case.
    Apart from that, from what you describe it's a no brainer, retire... but only if you want to  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I cannot wait to retire.  Only 20 years to go...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3661
    Ask me again in a couple of months, I’m going in just over 4 weeks time aged 56.  Slightly different circumstances (teenage child) and our combined income will be higher as my wife will also have a pension coming in.  The key is how much are you living off now (i.e. what is the percentage drop)?  You can survive on 1.5k per month, some people only have that to live off when they’re working, but if that’s how much you are currently spending on cocaine and hookers each month then you’re going to have to make some changes.

I’m expecting to be drawing down on savings at 1k per month on top of my pension for the next 10 years until my state pension kicks in - it’s quite frightening.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    That's bollocks!  I retired last Christmas at 63, so just 3 years early.  I've worked harder this year than any time before.  Major project has been installing a linear drain (30 metres) across the front of my house and re-doing the paving.  I've lost 9kgs in weight but have discovered a lack of flexibility in my lower body due to sitting on my arse for the last 40 or so years.  I now attend the local gym and am flexing all those unused muscles again.  If you can retire early, do it.....but don't just sit reading the newspaper and watching daytime telly.  Be active.....I'm loving it !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    Don't forget Micawber's advice   "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."   
    If it's good enough for Keef Richards  :) ;)  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24396
    “Survive” is not the same as living. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:

My father retired at 55 and it seemed to be a good period of his life. He did some part time work, some voluntary work, sorted the garden, learned bridge, took me and my sister to California, completed an Open University degree and kept his interests until he became too ill to do so in his late seventies. My father in law retired at 65 and went straight to daytime TV and seeing how far he could get on his free bus pass ( Coventry, by the way). 

Anyway, £1500 per month is more than you’d earn in minimum wage and as you haven’t got any significant outgoings I’m sure you’d be fine. Most people have some costs associated with having to go to work so you instantly save that cost as well. Become a magistrate, do voluntary work, learn to dance...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What about GAS? Have you factored in GAS? :D 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    “Survive” is not the same as living. 
    OP said " Not into designer stuff or flash holidays just steady away"
    Having an income of more than your outgoings & time that is your own, is not just surviving 
    ;) 

Another thing is to factor in all the small things that most people don't consider day to day, such as lowered travelling expenses, lower insurance premiums etc. It adds up significantly.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    Can’t say I agree with Dominic. I took early retirement at 58. I’m 65 now and honestly busier now than when I was working. Retirement is what you make it: treat it as another job and there’s no reason to just end up sitting in your underpants watching Bargain Hunt. You need to develop interests to keep your mind and body active, most importantly you need to keep your social life going. 

£1500 could well be enough to live on, but as others have said it depends on your outgoings though. Just make sure you’ve got enough for treats like meals out, holidays etc and the unexpected things like the car needing work, the boiler going pop.  
  • Retire retire retire. If you have no mortgage or property rental payments then 1.5k a month is doable without a 'flash or designer' lifestyle. If you want a second home in the South of France....then maybe not. Yo may not get your state pensh until 65-67 depending on how long you've  paid stamp. Part time job maybe if finances pinch a bit. Leave the Rat Race asap... I did a 55......and managing ok.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    my friends father is 92 and still goes into the office every day for about 4 hours although I think that in the last 2 or 3 years things run a bit more smoothly without him
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • An important thing to bear in mind is inflation and how well you're protected against it.  Will your £1500 go up with the cost of living?  If not you may find an amount you can live on comfortably now isn't enough in 10 or 15 years time.

We've had pretty low inflation in this country for a long time, but there's no guarantee that will continue.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Plus (at the moment) free eye tests and prescriptions from age 60.
  • You don't mention in the OP whether you have a partner that agrees with your plans.

Also, have you been tracking your outgoings over a period of time and, based on that, do you have a forward projection of what you'll need based on how you want to live? It's scary how the little essentials add up.

It's not a competition.