Alto TX208 - thoughts

Hi all

Been evaluating whether to get a guitar amp or small FRFR monitor, and found that the latter would suit my budget better as amps I like are way above budget and less versatile. So I decided that a small FRFR type thing would be best with either my modelling unit going straight into it, or some sort of amp and speaker sim pedal for open mic night ease. Could also be used as a vocal or acoustic monitor for me in other set ups, thus giving me best overall versatility.

So, seen the Alto TX208 for ~£90 new. 150w continuous (300w peak), couple of inputs, small in size but seemingly enough space on top to house a small mixer or aforementioned amp pedal on the top with a bit of velcro etc.

Seem like a decent deal for what I've described above? Any other similar I'm missing out on? Aware of the Alto TS310 and Headrush one, but they are more than twice the price so I'd need some convincing they were that much better (they don't seem to show up locally on ebay et al)

Thanks
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 220
    It's good but I don't find it to be that loud.   To me it's something that's better for home use or maybe an acoustic set.
  • Hmm interesting, I wouldn't really need to use it at home as I just use small monitor speakers but the potential lack of volume could be an issue.

To be clear, I'd be using it by myself at open mic type set ups - guitar or keys through it, though was intending it to be like a guitar amp and not need to use the provided PA for that, only vocals to go through that. So the "acoustic set" comment gives me a bit of hope, I don't intend to play acoustic but would prefer to self-accompany on electric or piano.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I used a Db technologies B-Hype 8, which is a similar level of cheap PA speaker as a wedge monitor with a Helix in a pretty loud rock band and I could hear myself fine, sounded pretty good too.  Don't expect miracles, but sure it'll be fine
  • John_A said:
    I used a Db technologies B-Hype 8, which is a similar level of cheap PA speaker as a wedge monitor with a Helix in a pretty loud rock band and I could hear myself fine, sounded pretty good too.  Don't expect miracles, but sure it'll be fine

Have you moved on from the BH8 now John? 

How many watts would you think necessary for a single FRFR to provide backline only in an average 4 piece band with acoustic drum kit? as there might be times when i cannot go through the FOH
    edited November 2019
    John_A said:

Have you moved on from the BH8 now John? 

How many watts would you think necessary for a single FRFR to provide backline only in an average 4 piece band with acoustic drum kit? as there might be times when i cannot go through the FOH
    Yes, moved to  DXR-10 which was a lot better/louder and now using a Db Flexsys fm10 which sounds as good as the DXR but is proper floor monitor shaped so I can stick my foot on it for big solos   Did use a proper cab and an ENGL head for a while, but reverted to the easy option

The BH8 was great though, cheap, small, light and sounded pretty good too, it wouldn't do as backline though unless you were really quite a quiet band, and watts aren't really a good gauge of what's loud enough, the flexsys is  rated at 400W and would IMO be loud enough for backline and doesn't sound much quieter than the DXR10 rated at 700W, also had a laney LRF12 rated at 400W that was louder than either
  • @John_A ; - I meant RMS watts (but forgot to state), and of course SPL's play a big part too.  

Back OT for Matt (sorry for mini hijack), the TX looks better than it performs according to the internet.   

The Behringer B208D gets some pretty reviews, it has a two band EQ and a little more grunt (though it's not as sleek looking as the Alto) and it has a 10mm thread on top (speaker bracket mount?) that could be used to fix a shelf/table top for a mixer? 

The Db BH8 is not a lot more than the Alto, and I can definitely recommend it, IMO looks better too :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/201872985650