Gretsch Jim Dandy

What's Hot
GallagheroneGallagherone Frets: 143
edited November 2019 in Acoustics
Hi friends,

I'm undecided as to what I want for Christmas but fancy a smaller acoustic for use around the house instead of always getting my Martin out.

Does anyone have experience of a Jim Dandy? It's cheap but is it any good?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    its cheap and if you like that type of sound its great...defo worth a punt
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    It has a distinct sound - I tried it against the cheapest Fender parlour and chose the Fender - it was still boxy but less so and I preferred that.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5827
    I tried one, thought it was rubbish. Cheap and nasty.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    it is cheap and nasty but does do dem old school blues pretty well...if that's what you want...other than that no good 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I have one and never use it...says it all really!....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• It's good for plunking while sitting on the couch when watching the telly..... Its alright for them old blues fingerstyle riffs....l fired heavier strings and a sound hole pick up on mine and use it for slide in open G or D..... Mine is pretty beat up and scruffy cos it gets booted around a bit.... But that's OK.
    So if any of that floats your boat, it's only around £175 and good enough.
    If you are looking for something that sounds more articulate and clearer with good sustain, akin to your Martin... you would be better asking Santa to stop being a miserable sod and spend a bit more money...... 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    I love a nice Gretsch, but this model leaves me a bit cold. 

There is one Gretsch acoustic I do fancy, but only because it’s hideous and hilarious...and has a Bigsby!

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/acoustic/g5034tft-rancher-dreadnought-with-bigsby/2704034522

Apparently, doesn’t even sound good - acoustically or plugged in.... just fancy it for entertainment purposes;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    For £100 more the Sigma 00R 1 St's looks a much nicer guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    proggy said:
    I tried one, thought it was rubbish. Cheap and nasty.

• Ha! Thank you all... The no's have it. Decision made!

• I'd quite like one as I think it would suit me - small body, shortscale, and generally I play the kind of music its intended for when I play acoustic. I do however sometimes have to try to do finger style folky stuff and I've not tried one for a while to check if there's enough room to do so on it.

When I did try one (before they increased the prices on them admittedly) it sounded great for what it's intended for, but only if you're into that kind of music. I've a Taylor Big Baby acoustic at present, and I'm fairly sure universally that would be considered a better acoustic, but I preferred the Gretsch for my use (says more about me than the Taylor though probably) 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    I bought one online. The nut looked like it had been cut by a 5 year old with a chain saw. I sorted that but never play the thing.
  • Never played one but it always sounded a bit thin to me, like my old Eko Ranger 6 thats more poly than wood! Look at Tanglewoods parlour range, stunning guitars that sound great for not a lot.
    Kilgore said:
    I had one. Was dull as dishwater. A very ‘meh’ guitar. Gave it away. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    TheMarlin said:
    Kilgore said:
    @TheMarlin ;

Thanks for the heads up. I've been considering one as a sofa noodling guitar. Sigma are usually pretty good at the budget end of the market. 
    Kilgore said:
    TheMarlin said:
    Kilgore said:
    @TheMarlin ;

Thanks for the heads up. I've been considering one as a sofa noodling guitar. Sigma are usually pretty good at the budget end of the market. 
    Maybe others had good experience, but I had two Sigmas (my brother used to work in South Korea, and got good deals on them). 

Both were just lacklustre. I much preferred the sound of a humble Yamaha FG310.  

At the cheap end of the market, Yamaha FG’s sit head and shoulders above all else. If fact, all the way up the food chain, Yamaha’s acoustics are fantastic value for money. 

I had an old Japanese red label FG from the 60’s.  Sounded fantastic. That’s the golden period. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    TheMarlin said:

There is one Gretsch acoustic I do fancy, but only because it’s hideous and hilarious...and has a Bigsby!

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/acoustic/g5034tft-rancher-dreadnought-with-bigsby/2704034522

Apparently, doesn’t even sound good - acoustically or plugged in.... just fancy it for entertainment purposes;)

Yes. Saw one of these in a shop near me a while back. And it actually looks worse in the flesh. Bonkers. 
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    TheMarlin said:

Yes. Saw one of these in a shop near me a while back. And it actually looks worse in the flesh. Bonkers. 
  • does anyone have a used Gretsch Jim Dandy they are willing to sell? I know they aren’t expensive brand new and are not everyone’s cup of tea but I’m looking for a fun little parlour sized guitar to practice on that won’t break the bank. So hoping I can save a few bucks by getting it second hand. 

• TrevinDevonTrevinDevon Frets: 28
    The Jim Dandy sounds pretty good in Eric Bibb's hands! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9ItoZHxrNA

I've never played a JD, but I do have a Gretsch G9511 style 1, which is also in the Gretsch Roots series, and it's a great little blues machine for the money. I've heard very good things about the Paul Brett Vintage Whiskey Sour at £99, although I've never played one of those either.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom