Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Meg made it to 100,000 miles..

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
edited November 2019 in Off Topic

I was expecting something more tbh.. 

Maybe a portal to open and we get transported back to the 90's in the middle of a Spice Girls video shoot or something.. 

Still, as Solo would say.. She doesnt look like much, but she's got it where it counts kid... sort of... 
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I have no clue what this thread is about on any level.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    I have no clue what this thread is about on any level.
    Chap is happy that his Renault made it to 100k. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm sure there's some significance.. maybe 100000 miles is a lot in that neck of the woods.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Any modern car thats been serviced regularly should easily pass 100K without any major issues.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    Any modern car thats been serviced regularly should easily pass 100K without any major issues.
    Should do!. 

It's on it's second engine and I've had to replace half the suspension so.. . should get a few more miles out of it..one would hope.. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 605
    Any modern car thats been serviced regularly should easily pass 100K without any major issues.
    In Britain? On these roads?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4908
    Well done Meg  =)

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    skunkwerx said:
    Should do!. 

It's on it's second engine and I've had to replace half the suspension so.. . should get a few more miles out of it..one would hope.. 

Bit of a Trigger's broom then!

I'm still impressed as it's a Renault.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72243
    edited November 2019
    My last Grand Scenic did 140K with no major issues until some twit drove into the side of it.

My current one is on 96K, doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it yet.

(Edit: 96K!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7751

My Corsa got to 147,000 by the time I got rid of it, despite me running low on oil (much) more than once and never having it serviced in the 8 years I owned it. . .
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • My last car went with 168k on the clock with the clutch starting to make a bit of a meat slicer noise. (Focus 1.8tdci). My current one is still a pup at 126k... at least another 40k before I can afford another one too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6869
    strtdv said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Should do!. 

Bit of a Trigger's broom then!

I'm still impressed as it's a Renault.
    Oh aye... every other car I've had has had sensors go, multiple times...

This ones cambelt snapped at about 30k, so the entire engine and clutch was replaced foc.. the two front shocks went at about 70k, and by 80k the air con packed up and so did the rear wiper. 

The rear impact bar is bent and the bodywork is absolutely battered but thats other drivers done that.

Other than that the cooling system is only water tight courtesy of a plastic dust cap and the rear doors lock when they feel up for it.. but not always.. 

But not a single sensor failed.. 

Ah and the wheels fell apart but they were aftermarket so not sure that counts! Theyre currently sat in the garden so I can put them back on when I scrap it, and I'll sell the set I bought.

I'm hoping it gets me to March so I can use my bonus to put towards one in a better condition.. one I can justify spending the upkeep on. 

To be honest it's failures over the years probably wouldnt have cost any more than any other car to fix, but as I never had spare cash to keep on top of it, they amounted.. well except the engine and suspension.. not sure what the fuck happened there. 

• Yeah not sure what it was about but my one good car story was my old Mondeo

2004 Mondeo when I started my old company I did everything including the sales reps job anyway got her all the way to 290k  on consumables so brakes, tyres, 1 clutch, and a coil pack she still had the original exhaust. Paid 4k with 30k on her. 

I fed her nothing but the cheapest Tesco's oil and the occasional back street garage service

A large badger round a country lane finally retired her but she still limped home. 

The first car in my life that never let me down and that amount of cheap motoring probably kept me going through the lean times. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2010

I came across a youtuber called Scotty Kilmer that give advice on car maintenance and buying used cars.

He seems to advocate that any modern car that can not reach 200k minimum on the original engine and gear box is a POS and he is American where most cars have an auto gear box that don't tend to last as long as a manual.

100k was a milestone for cars built in the 60's and 70's but not any more. But most people still look at get rid of cars at that point and there is really no need too. Of course the car industry does nothing to dispel this notion as it encourages people to scrap and move on and this makes them money

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8822
    tFB Trader
    Last good french car I had was a 99 clio. It had 130k on the clock and was rock solid. Made the mistake of trusting Renault with our first family car and it was a bad enough experience that I’ll never buy another Renault again. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited November 2019
    You should get 1000k miles out of it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5616
    I once owned a B3 VW Passat 1.6 TDi - when I sold it, it had done 220k miles and was still better than the POS I replaced it with.

My last car did 176K when I sold it on, again was still going strong and it's new owner then went and tuned it in a massive way.

Current motor is on about 137k and I've no plans to sell it.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    My Golf is still chugging along at 120k - expensive things are starting to go wrong but it’s still cheaper for me to repair than buy a new car and be lumbered with finance repayments etc again! Just had front suspension changed and long overdue timing belt which should be good to go for another 60k at least.. Think the rear suspension will be on its way out soon too as I’m hearing the odd clunk from that end of the car over bigger bumps. Bloody cars. If I lived within cycling distance to work I’d get rid of mine for sure.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2423
    edited November 2019
    Haych said:
    I once owned a B3 VW Passat 1.6 TDi - when I sold it, it had done 220k miles and was still better than the POS I replaced it with.

My last car did 176K when I sold it on, again was still going strong and it's new owner then went and tuned it in a massive way.

Current motor is on about 137k and I've no plans to sell it.
    I used to work in an agricultural machinery garage but we would do work on the occasional car as well. 
    I remember changing the starter motor on a B3 Passat 1.9D which had 550k miles on it.

Otherwise it was still pretty much mechanically sound.

There was also a lady who used to bring in her ancient Citroen AX in which was 14 years old and had 12k miles on it. She literally drove to the shops once a week and her only other journeys were to get the car serviced and MOT'd
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!