Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Meg made it to 100,000 miles..

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6875
    strtdv said:
    Haych said:
    I once owned a B3 VW Passat 1.6 TDi - when I sold it, it had done 220k miles and was still better than the POS I replaced it with.

My last car did 176K when I sold it on, again was still going strong and it's new owner then went and tuned it in a massive way.

Current motor is on about 137k and I've no plans to sell it.
    I used to work in an agricultural machinery garage but we would do work on the occasional car as well. 
    I remember changing the starter motor on a B3 Passat 1.9D which had 550k miles on it.

Otherwise it was still pretty much mechanically sound.

There was also a lady who used to bring in her ancient Citroen AX in which was 14 years old and had 12k miles on it. She literally drove to the shops once a week and her only other journeys were to get the car serviced and MOT'd
    Haha. You know I sometimes see old timers driving cars they must have had for years and years, and wonder about making an offer.. not meaning to be rude.

They often seem better kept than half of the used cars on £12k from a dealership..

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

TTBZ said:
    My Golf is still chugging along at 120k - expensive things are starting to go wrong but it’s still cheaper for me to repair than buy a new car and be lumbered with finance repayments etc again! Just had front suspension changed and long overdue timing belt which should be good to go for another 60k at least.. Think the rear suspension will be on its way out soon too as I’m hearing the odd clunk from that end of the car over bigger bumps. Bloody cars. If I lived within cycling distance to work I’d get rid of mine for sure.
    Same man. I love driving and cars, but I'd buy a nice-ish one and use it for sdp only and keep it for a decade. It would probably do 30 miles a week max. 

I live in whats classed as London, and I work in Essex. Just too far to cycle (there is an insane hill in Brentwood, probably a mile incline) and a big stretch of dual carriageways.. 

The free staff car park has a 7 year waiting list, so I currently pay £120 a month to park in the public car park nearby. 

Trains and buses it turns out would cost about the same but mean waking up extra early.. so I chose to drive. 

I thought about getting a moped and parking it for free in the staff car park as there are areas it could fit out of the way.. but it would cost a lot more than £120 a month to learn (though I'm pretty sure I can ride one on my car license, but with cbt) buy the bike and gear and insure it.. as I'd still need a car too. 

I would love to free that £120 commute/parking up a month!!! 

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2438
    @skunkwerx an e-bike would solve the hill problem (though not the dual carriageway)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • I had a couple of Sabbs that had been meticulously maintained by their (1) previous owners. A classic 900 was pushing 180k when I moved it on and the 9000 was well over 200k. Just running in.
    Jag XJR moved on at 150k.
    If chosen wisely and there's evidence of maintenance, high milers needn't be ignored.
    Resale prices reflect otherwise though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    I live in Hungary and it is an eye opener to see some of the cars running around that would have been scrapped years ago in the UK. Lots and lots of Passats and Astras from the early 2000s getting abused every day. A surprising number of Ladas still in everyday use and even the occasional Wartburg. Trabants are still kicking around too.

My 2005 VW Transporter T5 is nearing 190,000 miles equivalent and mechanically is fine, just the electrics and interior trim that are starting to fall apart........ And the central locking is wonky.......... And it could do with a good clean......

To be fair I am thinking about changing it next year and going back to normal cars. Probably a Focus or an Astra estate.

The other car is a 2008 Subaru Forester petrol with around 152,000 miles on the clock. Did everything right with it when buying it earlier this year. Only problems are it will need new shocks soon and I need to glue down part of the windscreen trim. So not too bad. Our friendly mechanic likes it.

The main problem is that used cars are about twice the price of an equivalent in the UK. 2006 Astra Estate in the UK is £1500, here it would be more like £3200.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    strtdv said:
    Haych said:
    I once owned a B3 VW Passat 1.6 TDi - when I sold it, it had done 220k miles and was still better than the POS I replaced it with.

My last car did 176K when I sold it on, again was still going strong and it's new owner then went and tuned it in a massive way.

I used to work in an agricultural machinery garage but we would do work on the occasional car as well. 
    I remember changing the starter motor on a B3 Passat 1.9D which had 550k miles on it.

There was also a lady who used to bring in her ancient Citroen AX in which was 14 years old and had 12k miles on it. She literally drove to the shops once a week and her only other journeys were to get the car serviced and MOT'd
    A guy I work with has just traded in his 2007 Focus. He’d had it from new and it only had 14,000 miles on the clock. He got £300 for it in part ex.  :o 

Better than my ex-wife though... she’s not long got rid of her 2002 Daewoo Matiz. My son’s just told me the dealer offered her £14.60 for it.  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10267
    boogieman said:
    strtdv said:
    Haych said:

A guy I work with has just traded in his 2007 Focus. He’d had it from new and it only had 14,000 miles on the clock. He got £300 for it in part ex.  :o 

Better than my ex-wife though... she’s not long got rid of her 2002 Daewoo Matiz. My son’s just told me the dealer offered her £14.60 for it.  =)

I hope she snapped his hand off. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    boogieman said:
    strtdv said:
    Haych said:

I hope she snapped his hand off. 

Ha ha yes. I think that’s about £10 more than it was worth tbh. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    viz said:
    You should get 1000k miles out of it. 
    Given its name :(
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TBH my experience are with old cars 15 years or more, best NOT to service them, just make sure oil is topped up, dont bother changing it, keep an eye on brake pads and tyres and they run for years.
    TBH my experience are with old cars 15 years or more, best NOT to service them, just make sure oil is topped up, dont bother changing it, keep an eye on brake pads and tyres and they run for years.
    Haha touch and go? Don't touch and it goes. 
  • Jetsam1Jetsam1 Frets: 604
    skunkwerx said:
    TBH my experience are with old cars 15 years or more, best NOT to service them, just make sure oil is topped up, dont bother changing it, keep an eye on brake pads and tyres and they run for years.
    Haha touch and go? Don't touch and it goes. 

Pretty much!!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    You celebrated a milestone too late!!!!

should have been 80,085 miles!!! 

He he he!...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    My Focus has 146K on it and drives perfect. My Transit van has 178K on it but that's still nothing to my last Transit which had 278K on it when I stopped using it and probably 300K now. 
    I would consider 100K to be low mileage :) 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    I must confess I have a bit of a *thing* for old Volvos, particularly phase 1 and 2 V70s and sometimes I quite fancy the idea of an XC70/90.

Many of them have done stupid mileage, to the moon and half way back again, and are still going strong.  I don't think I'd ever choose to buy one with massive miles but it's a testament to the engineering that so many have huge miles on the clock.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

poopot said:

He he he!...
    Damnit! 

Guess I'll get working on hitting 8008135 miles now then!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    I had a saab 9000 that got to 232k miles when the clutch needed replacing for the second time. I cut my losses on that. I had a Shogun for many years, when I traded it in it had well over 220k miles too.
    As others have said, there comes a point where it's economical to run it into the ground, when everything underneath is rusted and you shear of bolts or round over nuts doing routine maint jobs. It's still possible to replace whole engines and or gear boxes for realistic money if you have a decent hardstand or workshop. We replaces number one sons Fabia engine on the drive two winters ago, got the neighbour to fire up his vintage tractor and use the fore end loader as an engine hoist, nice.
    Modern cars need some kind of ODBII reader and a bit of experience in ignoring the obvious false pointers to keep them running.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited November 2019
    My dad bought a £500 2007 Mondeo last week. 174k on the clock and it drives beautifully. I used it for a couple of days while he was in hospital and for a 12 year old car, the quality is still there and things work as they should.

Compare that to my 2012 Peugeot Bipper - 93k on the clock, all manner of warning lights come and go, radio doesn’t work in wet weather and bits fall off it. 
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    skunkwerx said:
    poopot said:

He he he!...
    Damnit! 

:) that took me a lot longer than it should have. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    randella said:
    skunkwerx said:
    poopot said:

He he he!...
    Damnit! 

:) that took me a lot longer than it should have. 
    I drove an extra 6 miles that day just to get that pic!!!!