Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice on cash transactions in the public sphere

What's Hot
Hi all,

Have a potential guitar purchase rendezvous in the pipeline in a faraway city where the seller will meet me as a halfway point for either of us. Lacking a car myself so am always restricted in mobility, meaning this arrangement is the best we can come up with.

On this note, was wondering if experienced punters can part with some common sense and tips on how best to handle such transactions that occur in public spaces, as its not occurring in the safe havens of a private home or dedicated store. Particularly with the paranoia of prying eyes involving high value works and a wad of cash, how's the best way of doing it discreetly, effectively, and also be able to thoroughly check over the goods and cash amount before parting ways again.

Be great to pool ideas such as ideal locations and etiquettes in cities/towns etc. 

And maybe even cautionary tales and anecdotes would spice up the thread also.

All the best and have a good weekend all,
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I would just do the transaction in a moderately busy retail park car park. Enough people around, and probably CCTV, but not likely to be a high concentration of scumbags. Do the money transaction in the car if possible, and keep your wits about you. Make sure the recipient counts the cash.

When I used to do gigs in Coventry we would always carry our guitars in our left hands in case we need to hit anyone! Never did.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I recently bought a Danelectro at London Victoria railway station.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Last time I bought a guitar for cash we did it in the foyer of a bank. Cash out, cash in. All under the gaze of their cameras.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Train stations, station car parks, the foyer of an office building and Paternoster Square (where the First Dates restaurant is).  Those have been my public-space cash sale/purchase experiences, never a problem.

Once a grizzled old hippy busker came to collect a guitar at my office, I don't think the receptionists were too impressed but he was a nice bloke.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    My last deal was done in a London coffee shop.  I believe other towns and cities are similarly scourged.

I've done other deals;
    • Outside railway/tube stations
    • In pubs
    • Service station carparks
    • Supermarket carparks
    • MacDonalds carparks (which is the closest I'll ever get to eating any of their "food")
    Mostly it's been with people here who are - or were - generally completely trustworthy.  I'd always be wary of noobs here who have no track record - same as I'd be with eBayists who have zero feedback.  Actually, most any eBayists nowadays.

If large amounts of cash are changing hands, count it out of sight to avoid tempting any passing scumbags (you may be within CCTV range, but do you think anyone will care?).  Generally though, PayPal seems to be the method of choice, and that only takes a few minutes between one person pressing "pay" and the other person receiving the "you've got funds" email.

You can be as careful as you like, but if the other person wants to scam you in someway, they'll find a way to do it.  Wherever you do the deal.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    Be like the girl I saw in my first week at uni, stood at the cash machine in the Merrion Centre yelling I'VE ACCIDENTALLY GOT OUT FOUR HUNDRED POUNDS
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    paranoia ... prying eyes
    Two cars, parked adjacently, both tailgates open, looking for all the world like a car boot sale in miniature. 

Staff at roadside cafes and motorway services probably see this sort of thing every day of the week. Unless they see firearms or bagged up controlled substances, they will take no notice whatsoever.

The average citizen will have no idea what the guitar(s) being traded are worth. Neither will they have any idea how much money is about to be handed over.

Make the transaction the last thing you do before departing. Eat, drink, use the toilet or smoke BEFORE anyone catches sight of your gear or wallet. After that moment, do not leave your vehicle unattended.

Only worry if strangers are running towards you and your vehicle - especially if they sport dark blue uniforms, truncheons and tasers. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've done deals with people on here in Motorway Cafes, and Leeds Station without problem in the past. 
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2272
    edited November 2019
    Earlier this year I bought a bass for a 4-figure cash wad inside a McDonalds. The seller's mate came with him, and a couple of weeks later bought another bass from me in a KFC, this time doing a bank transfer on his phone which I was able to verify. It's worth noting that both chaps were long-standing members of another forum which I frequent.

The McD transaction turned into quite a long music-related chat over lunch, and on leaving I realised I had somewhat overstayed the site's parking limit. Fortunately there were no ANPR cameras and I got away with it, but something to be aware of.
  • In addition to Paypal I'd also recommend Revolut, lets you trasnsfer money instantly and they have a Visa/MC card as well, particularly useful if you travel abroad, they offer better exchange rates than most banks...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Waterloo Train Station
    Southampton Train Station
    Red Funnel ferry terminal 
    Bournemouth train Station 
    Portsmouth Harbour Train station
    Lymington Ferry Terminal 

All deals went smoothly , with no car ( on my part ) , met some really great people too.
    Ive always taken cash , but in public places, it's never been a real issue .
    Transport hubs seem to work best for me .
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1323
    If it's a car park, just make sure the cash only comes out in a locked car. Ideally get the seller to drop you back at the train station. Foyer of a bank, as mentioned above is also good. 
  • Wear a 'wire' microphone and use a 'button' covert camera. Cash only in a buff envelope and ensure buyer counts this. Also have a safe word you can use if you need backup. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    edited November 2019
    A good few years ago a friend of ours was pulled over by the police after doing a transaction from the back of a van to her car.

Her crime was she had picked up some blood worm (and handed over cash) for her husband's fishing tackle shop.

Good to know they are keeping an eye out though: )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited November 2019
    Sometimes, this forum sounds like folks in their 80's, who sound like they don't get out much, giving experience advice to pre-teens who haven't started going out much yet.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Nobody has mentioned anti-stab vests yet.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2133
    edited November 2019
    Just go, meet the guy, say hello, check the neck's straight, give him the money, say cheerio.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2853
    edited November 2019
    Traded a guitar with a member on here and met at the entrance to Knebworth Park on the road. We had boots open and cases in hand - police drove passed, turned round and joined in the conversation. We did laugh.

Bank transfer seems cool but doesn't always work instantly - fancy sitting in someone's house for two hours waiting for the money you've just paid to appear? 

Cash or PayPal when you meet - or tbh, if I know a member I've got no probs with bank transfer before meeting or posting. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2157
    I did one at a coffee shop near a train station, then deposited the money straight into my account.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.