EL34 in A Mesa Rectoverb

What's Hot
Love this amp, but being the constant fiddler I'm wondering what differences to the tone swapping the 6L6 valves for EL34s will make. I love the "pushed" clean channel but cant get anything useable from the drive channel. Just sounds mushy and saggy.

Would swapping tight this up a bit? It's got a bias switch so should be easy to just switch 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Love this amp, but being the constant fiddler I'm wondering what differences to the tone swapping the 6L6 valves for EL34s will make. I love the "pushed" clean channel but cant get anything useable from the drive channel. Just sounds mushy and saggy.

Would swapping tight this up a bit? It's got a bias switch so should be easy to just switch 
    Have you tried running an OD before the amp - that is the usual way of tightening up a recto type amp - normally a tube screamer is used but I like the Boss sd1 in front of mine :)

I'm sure the EL34's would reduce the flubb on the bottom end, I've not tried it personally.
  • Have you tried the ‘magic 6’ settings on the time stack? 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    EL34s will tighten up the red channel a bit, yes. I assume you're already using the Vintage mode rather than Modern.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Have you tried the ‘magic 6’ settings on the time stack? 

Er, what?
  • ICBM said:
    EL34s will tighten up the red channel a bit, yes. I assume you're already using the Vintage mode rather than Modern.
    Yes. Definitely!!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15960
    Owweeeeee did not know this was possible!

Q1  what does the 6L6 swap do for the wattage
    Q2  I like what some folk here have called the HONK on this amp....does a toob swap change the tone up too?
    tae be or not tae be
    Have you tried the ‘magic 6’ settings on the time stack?
    Er, what?
    Magic bollocks :)... even if true for Fender Blackface amps (it isn't, in my opinion - too little bass and mid relative to treble).

The method of turning each control until you find the most sensitive spot does actually work though.

Hootsmon said:
    Owweeeeee did not know this was possible!

Q1  what does the 6L6 swap do for the wattage
    Q2  I like what some folk here have called the HONK on this amp....does a toob swap change the tone up too?
    It doesn't change the power output, but the EL34 does actually have slightly more gain than the 6L6 - so it increases the volume and reduces the apparent headroom at a given volume control setting. It has a slightly tighter, crunchier sound - although it doesn't make the amp sound like a Marshall, it makes it easier to push it in that direction if you want to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So @ICBM I can just whip out the old valves, flick the bias switch, pop in the 34's and fire it up?
    So @ICBM I can just whip out the old valves, flick the bias switch, pop in the 34's and fire it up?
    Yes :).

• Thank you
  • @Travisthedog - report back and let us know your thoughts, interested in how much difference there is :)
  • Ok  @webrthomson ; have a gig on Saturday so will see. Low level lounge playing seemed to indicate the clean channel wasnt as good but the dirt was far better. Cant bloody win
  • Ok  @webrthomson ; have a gig on Saturday so will see. Low level lounge playing seemed to indicate the clean channel wasnt as good but the dirt was far better. Cant bloody win
    Sods law :) I wonder if some volume will help - let us know!