SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Nylon strung acoustic info required please. WTB

Hello there folks 

Hope you are all well. 

Clueless regarding Nylon Strung guitars but want one. I am pretty sure I don’t want a traditional Spanish style one with the huge necks. 

Anyone more clued up ? 

Ideally a normal sized neck, thinner body and cutaway would be ideal.  

Any ideas Fretboarders ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    I have an alvarez rc20sc. I love it. Cheap, huge cutaway, thin neck. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    I had an Alvarez steel strung guitar and it was a cracker, thanks for the info. I’ll keep my eyes peeled. 

More options the merrier 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The Yamaha APX Nylon model has a smaller neck iifc
  • I have, and swear by, an Ovation 1773AX - they're pricier than I remember but mine is excellent, and definitely different from a traditional Spanish guitar. The other deviation would be to get a Godin Multiac (basically a solid body nylon string electric - also pricey but excellent). 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Ibanez ae450?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • m0rtm0rt Frets: 21
    Had several nylon strung. In fact, have a Spanish Classical concert class and a Takamine Santa Fe PSF-48C with the tube preamp - the Takamines do several good nylon crossovers. The first time I got hold of a nylon was to try and improve dexterity and feeling. It worked.

A Spanish does have a wider nut and generally flatter radius but it depends on what your reasons are. You can do some amazingly expressive things with nylon that you just can't do with steel strings. But then you can't beat the hell out of them either.

The Godin Multiacs, as mentioned, are very good to play. However, worth hunting down a Takamine to try also as you can find them for a good price.
    sweepy said:
    The Yamaha APX Nylon model has a smaller neck iifc
    Thanks Sweep, I’ll check that model out :)

I have, and swear by, an Ovation 1773AX - they're pricier than I remember but mine is excellent, and definitely different from a traditional Spanish guitar. The other deviation would be to get a Godin Multiac (basically a solid body nylon string electric - also pricey but excellent). 
    I do like the look of them Ovations.  ;) 

m0rt said:
    Had several nylon strung. In fact, have a Spanish Classical concert class and a Takamine Santa Fe PSF-48C with the tube preamp - the Takamines do several good nylon crossovers. The first time I got hold of a nylon was to try and improve dexterity and feeling. It worked.

A Spanish does have a wider nut and generally flatter radius but it depends on what your reasons are. You can do some amazingly expressive things with nylon that you just can't do with steel strings. But then you can't beat the hell out of them either.

The Godin Multiacs, as mentioned, are very good to play. However, worth hunting down a Takamine to try also as you can find them for a good price.
    Thanks for the info. Got some more research to do. :)
  • Just sent a new fender CN-140SCE back, neck to slim.