Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

EBMM Guitars. Too overlooked?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Philly_Q said:
    I've tried to resist, but I can't help myself, I'll add my "standard EBMM thread comment":

Fantastic guitars, build quality as good as anything I've ever owned or played, the finish on the neck feels great and I don't mind the narrow width at the nut.  I like the 4+2 headstock, I like the fact that many of the models are quite diminutive (so am I).  I would be more than happy to buy one... if only they would make one or two models with chunkier necks.
    @Philly_Q How chunky do you want? The Axis Super Sport has a pretty clubby neck, to my hands.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How do the Sterling versions compare to their counterparts? They seem to occupy that saturated £600-£1000 price point but you rarely see anything about them. Really like the look of the Sterling Luke 3 and the JP models.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22775
    Philly_Q said:
    I've tried to resist, but I can't help myself, I'll add my "standard EBMM thread comment":

Fantastic guitars, build quality as good as anything I've ever owned or played, the finish on the neck feels great and I don't mind the narrow width at the nut.  I like the 4+2 headstock, I like the fact that many of the models are quite diminutive (so am I).  I would be more than happy to buy one... if only they would make one or two models with chunkier necks.
    @Philly_Q How chunky do you want? The Axis Super Sport has a pretty clubby neck, to my hands.
    I'm not expecting a Nocaster neck, but big - a bit bigger than a Gibson '59, bigger than a PRS Wide Fat... I prefer big Fender necks to Gibson ones, deep but not wide.  Something like a Fender 10/56 V profile would be great.

I had an Axis Sport a long while ago, I don't know if the Axis Super Sport still has the same profile - I think in those days it was the same asymmetric profile as the EVH/Axis.  I liked the oil/wax finish, the rolled fretboard edges, even the actual shape of the neck - I just wanted it to be bigger!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I stayed away from the Lukes for years as I had heard from everyone they were small - I had an Albert Lee and an Axis (or 2) and then got a Luke 3 - its amazing! The neck is narrow, like an early 70's strat but they are so comfortable. Amazing guitars.
    Amazing price jump on these - they used to be 800 quid all day long and now theyre expensive. Big pirce rises in the US in thel last few years....
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22775
    edited November 2019
    Amazing price jump on these - they used to be 800 quid all day long and now theyre expensive. Big pirce rises in the US in thel last few years....
    Yeah, they've gone up a lot.  For a long time I thought they were surprisingly cheap compared with Suhr, Tom Anderson, Fender CS etc.... now they're similarly priced.
  • I had an axis ss a few years back. Lovely rosewood neck and such a versatile guitar. With me being a bit of a big lump, it always felt a bit too small and when a fella came up to me at a gig and asked if it was a kids guitar, i decided to move it on.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited November 2019
    I have a nice Albert Lee HH. No interest in the other models aside from the the Valentine & St Vincent, however with prices as they are I doubt I could afford a second.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Having thought about it, I think the closest guitar to the Albert Lee is the Suhr Alt T Pro.
    @Wazmeister one to check out if you love your Suhr :) 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    I'm sure that they are great guitars but they always look rather sterile and lacking character to me. I'm not saying that I think that is the case, just my personal opinion.
  • Kebabkid said:
    Having thought about it, I think the closest guitar to the Albert Lee is the Suhr Alt T Pro.
    @Wazmeister one to check out if you love your Suhr :) 
    To be fair Cos, Im such a traditionalist, its amazing I even play a Suhr !

I think the EBMM stuff looks awful; not my scene at all...

BUT, 

When I was on a 12 month Strat search (I travelled across the country a lot them) I was after THE one. I tried umpteen of them, and could never settle. Ironically, I got one in PMT Birmingham in the end - a CS recommended by Gary there. It had that sound...

Anyway, during that visit Gary gave me a EBMM Strat to try (don't know the model) and I really disliked the looks. But the sound and feel was amazing !!! If I was recording only, it would have been ideal.

It sounded like a Strat should sound (in my head anyway), and Ive been secretly impressed ever since. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    edited November 2019
    Fair enough, Waz.
    I now play a Tyler but in the past, I wouldn't have looked at them because of 'that headstock'. Played one and like you with the EBMM Strat, loved the sounds and playability. However, you can't go wrong with the Alt T  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    I like them a lot.
    I much prefer 24.75 scales guitars, but the narrow spacing on some EBMM models means I still find them comfy.

I'd be happy to own an Axis.