Help With Laptop Issue (Again) Please.

What's Hot
BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5833
edited November 2019 in Off Topic
The last 2 times I have inserted my USB Flash Drive, I have had a BSOD with "DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION" Message. The first time I thought it may have been a one off, but now it's twice I need to know what's going on.

The USB Drive is used regularly, every week for me to back up stuff that's in "Documents" on my PC. It's worked fine for a few years (4 years maybe). Why all of a sudden is it having a mare?

I've left it plugged into the port and will probably keep it in there until I know what to do.

Obviously I'm also worried that when I next start up the laptop with the USB already plugged in, it might freak out upon start up?

Do you guys know a fix? Is it the port that knackered?

I've spotted a couple of Youtube vids but don't know if they have the exact same "cause" of the problem and I don't want to screw anything up.

It's Windows 8.1 BTW!

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18374
    I'm not an oracle where Windows is concerned, but you aren't alone.
    Try doing a search on  'windows bsod "dpc watchdog violation" usb insertion'
    You'll get more results than you can shake a stick at.

It's a bit outside my experience, as I have never knowingly violated a watchdog with an insertion or otherwise  :o
    Good luck  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27340
    4 years (regular?) use out of a USB drive isn’t so bad.

Get a better backup medium!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTony said:
    4 years (regular?) use out of a USB drive isn’t so bad.

Get a better backup medium!
    Quite regular, yes. I've had one USB Stick 13 years and it's still going. What other back up mediums are there? Thanks.
  • Oh that old message. 

It means you've searched for "hairy milfs big boobs" too many times and you've worn out your hard drive. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh that old message. 

It means you've searched for "hairy milfs big boobs" too many times and you've worn out your hard drive. 
    You got my favourite Category...Spot On! ;)
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Do you only back up to USB?

Maybe consider something like Google Drive or Microsoft's OneDrive, in addition?
  • Lucky guess ;)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27340
    What other backup media ...

Depends on how precious the content is.

If you’ve got the internet connection; one of the Cloud services (though it’ll cost).
    If not, a USB HDD, or a couple of them so you can apply a proper backup generational system.
    I use RAID enabled NASs - 2 of them, just to be sure.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited November 2019
    You don't really back up properly unless you have multiple copies in multiple locations.

I use a combination of a cloud storage service syncing to/from my pc, a separate nightly backup to another cloud service, and then periodic manual backups to external USB drives for when Skynet becomes self-aware.
  • Thanks guys, I inserted the USB into a different port before turning on the Laptop and it hasn't freaked out the computer, so I may just abandon that port. May leave the USB in permanently or only plug in/pull out while the Laptop is off. I'll probably buy a spare too.