Aquatic Whodunnit - warning , mangled seal content

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
edited November 2019 in Off Topic

Mate of my brothers found this beheaded seal on a Kentish beach this morning. Do Porbeagles or blue sharks eat seals? Could it be a Mako ? 

Bloody scary - I’m petrified of sharks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited November 2019

They’re reasonably easy to avoid. They tend to stay away from built-up areas and open countryside.

I would suspect human involvement in the beheading, by the way... a natural predator would probably have eaten the body.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

They’re reasonably easy to avoid. They tend to avoid built-up areas and open countryside.
    You got a lol but still , I live 10 mins from the sea and I’m in and out of it all summer. If a shark swam past me I don’t think it would need to do much else to finish me off. I’d have a heart attack immediately, possibly releasing an involuntary brown flare first.
  • "releasing an involuntary brown flare first"

Haha.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    I think that could have been a shark......Blues are much more narrow in the mouth but Makos are certainly found in channel and Devon Cornwall and have been caught off the Needles IOW. Porbeagle are of the Great White family and plentiful off the English coast but tend to be quite small and with a smaller jaw but the most likely culprit is a Six Gill Shark which can be huge and in recent years they have discovered large numbers of very large ones off the E Coast of Ireland.They tend to stay in very deep water .
     Most seals are killed by propellers but that is a strange looking propeller injury.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @Dominic  Just Googled Sixgill shark and they aren’t cuddly at all.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    Known to predate Seals and peculiarly tolerant of Humans
    a 25 ' long specimen was caught off Irish coast last year....................and released .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204

Better not watch Sharknado.  ;)

Actually, I can think of other reasons not to watch Sharknado. The main one being it’s not a very good film.