Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can guitars really give you cancer?

What's Hot

Comments

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6691
    EVH alleges that. Conveniently sidestepping the 900 fags a day. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18731
    JerkMoans said:
    Maybe not the guitar itself, so much as the 33 year booze, coke, weed, smack, Lude, ket., E, acid, uppers, downers, sidewaysers and shroom binge I’ve been on since I got my first one. Occasionally with band mates and/or with hookers.

Not to mention getting sloshed on a train from Durham.
    Livin' the dream. Rock 'n' Roll, man  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I feel sorry for the guy having cancer, but the only one saying it’s because of holding picks is himself.
    The much more likely cause is the heavy smoking, it’s a shame that rags are reprinting this for attention when it’s quite clearly unsubstantiated bollocks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    it's official - GAS can kill
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6880
    ^ Tough situation that.
    I'm generally intolerant of so called food intolerances, as most of it is just finicky attention seeking, virtue signalling.
    Such behaviour detracts from those like yourself with real health issues related to food.
    Coeliac is not an intolerance, it's far more serious, same for those with anaphylaxis.

Ah man I always feel so awkward asking in restaurants.. like I presume they think I'm just following a celebrity fad or something haha. 

It does suck especially for work nights out or family events, and adds a new dimension to holidaying.. The worst that will happen is I'm ill for about a week, and as its an auto-immune disease, if it keeps happening it puts the risks of cancers or other things up.. 

But I count my blessings, nut allergies and those that can be fatal are terrible. 

A fella in work has an allergy to a certain  nut, which came on out of the blue. He since said he now doesnt bother with any nuts as he has no idea if he could have suddenly developed allergies to the other kinds, and doesnt want to find out the hard way! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    ^ Tough situation that.
    I'm generally intolerant of so called food intolerances, as most of it is just finicky attention seeking, virtue signalling.
    Such behaviour detracts from those like yourself with real health issues related to food.
    Coeliac is not an intolerance, it's far more serious, same for those with anaphylaxis.

jesus man, mind your own guts and let others mind theirs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Playing terrible music on Fender guitars causes of sorts of mysterious illnesses.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    The lenses in Pentax 67 medium format Cameras contain Thorium. I wouldn’t worry about a guitar. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11294
    Scientists have long known that death is fatal.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    JerkMoans said:
    Maybe not the guitar itself, so much as the 33 year booze, coke, weed, smack, Lude, ket., E, acid, uppers, downers, sidewaysers and shroom binge I’ve been on since I got my first one. Occasionally with band mates and/or with hookers.

Not to mention getting sloshed on a train from Durham.
    Livin' the dream. Rock 'n' Roll, man  ;)
    Living the dream. Today, every day. Even on public transport.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    rocktron said:
    Eddie Van Halen allegedly had tongue cancer due to his habit of holding his metal guitar pick in his mouth:-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7568003/Eddie-Van-Halen-suffering-throat-cancer-contracted-sucking-metal-guitar-pick.html
    Thats just silly. 

I've heard of the electrical fields potentially causing luekemia (sp) before though.. 

Is nickel favoured for any particular reason in the guitar world apart from its relative softness?

316l is it, surgical steel Or titanium is what piercers and the medical implant world use because its biocompatible. 

Half of strings are steel anyway.. and some frets..

I want titanium frets now... and cobalt strings. I wonder..

As for the rest of it.. unless you had a nickel allergy, which I presume you'd know about because you'd be irritated on the old skin. 

of the thousands of guitarists that play much more often than me, every day, for years on end, they seem to be ok! 

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    So does the P65 warning only apply to the strings in this case, and not the guitar itself?
    Not the paint or the electrics, just the nickel in the strings?
    skunkwerx said:
    rocktron said:
    Eddie Van Halen allegedly had tongue cancer due to his habit of holding his metal guitar pick in his mouth:-

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7568003/Eddie-Van-Halen-suffering-throat-cancer-contracted-sucking-metal-guitar-pick.html
    Thats just silly. 

I've heard of the electrical fields potentially causing luekemia (sp) before though.. 

Is nickel favoured for any particular reason in the guitar world apart from its relative softness?

316l is it, surgical steel Or titanium is what piercers and the medical implant world use because its biocompatible. 

Half of strings are steel anyway.. and some frets..

I want titanium frets now... and cobalt strings. I wonder..

As for the rest of it.. unless you had a nickel allergy, which I presume you'd know about because you'd be irritated on the old skin. 

of the thousands of guitarists that play much more often than me, every day, for years on end, they seem to be ok! 

Be careful what information you take as being true (as in everything in life, including anything I say).

My Dad knew that he had an allergy to nickel after developing & being diagnosed with late contact dermatitis where his watch back (stainless steel) touched his wrist, as stainless steel contains varying amounts of nickel.

So, an easy obvious solution these days was to get a 'hypoallergenic, non bioactive' titanium watch.
    Except that this also caused a reaction...WTF?
    It turns out that titanium in watches is not pure, but is an alloy which also can have a proportion of nickel.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/allergic-titanium-286245.html
    Like most materials that people are allergic to, you can be gradually sensitised to them for years without any reaction.
    Then, once a sensitivity reaction occurs, this can subsequently be caused by much smaller amounts than would have previously been tolerated, but inducing far more violent responses.

DiscoStu said:
    So does the P65 warning only apply to the strings in this case, and not the guitar itself?
    Not the paint or the electrics, just the nickel in the strings?
    I got the same warning tag on my case... 

If I put my tele in there.. are my chances doubled?
    'Start your trial".
    Bit ominous  :o
    'Start your trial".
    Bit ominous  :o
    Any of you fellows fancy opening it for me lol?

As of 23:05 I can confirm my reproductive system has not been affected.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    skunkwerx said:

316 stainless steel contains nickel. I’ve got a big chunk of it in my arm, so I had to declare if I had any allergy to nickel before it was done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I'd avoid it completely (safety first).
    Just get a friend to put the guitar in the case & mail it to me for safe disposal.
    Damnit, I'm just too good for this world...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31586
    skunkwerx said:
    Mad world. 

Buy a guitar which 'may' contain trace amounts of potential substances linked to cancer... 

In a state thats seen 3 mass shootings in 4 days... 

Well if you class those shootings as lead poisoning you can see why they're worried. :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom