Do you play what you like, or learn to like what you play

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9703
edited November 2019 in Making Music
I'm getting rather bored with many things at present but one of these things is what music I'm trying to make.

I don't seem to be able to make the music I properly like, I don't have the knack, conviction, voice or oompf for it. So I still try and end up dissatisfied and subsequently bored.

Then I give that up, and play the boring middle of the road crap That comes easily and naturally, or that fits more with my voice, and I get bored and dissatisfied again because it's so dull and I don't want to sound like that kind of music.

What's the answer? What do you guys do about this feeling if you've ever encountered it?

Cheers
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steven70steven70 Frets: 1262
    edited November 2019
    Frequently frustrated with half formed ideas floating around it in the back of my head, which I can't articulate.

I can see them, but as soon as I pick up the guitar, the 'Hideaway' licks come out and the vibe is gone.

If you don't like something you have done, use it as a springboard to something else. Or just put it aside.

I think the answer may lie in forcing yourself to try new and strange ideas and accept that they might not work. Set some time aside and do it anyway.

Don't give up tho- you can't just do stuff that doesn't move you cos it's easy! 

Re vocals (and to some extent guitar or anything else) as long as you can convey an idea you can always get someone else to play or practice until you can do it. Doesn't really matter if you have the song, it will be 'you'

Not sure what I am banging on about...I suppose the answer to your question is 'a bit of both'

Cheers  
  • I'd forgotten about this thread. Optimistically maybe.

Trouble is, literally everything I like to listen to is the opposite of what I can do. I like quicker louder music, in different keys to what I can sing in, higher pitch usually, doesn't work as a one man band and is just incredibly corny coming from a fairly mundane thirty something with no really belief in what he's doing.

I can't find one style that I could just try to commit to in order to have the ability to do something well. I tried sacking off strings to sing along to piano but that was even more dull and boring than the guitar stuff. 

Not to worry, hopefully be all over for me soon!
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    edited November 2019
    Try learning jazz blues and the superlocrian scale over the V chord. It’s really fun and nice. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33785
    viz said:
    Try learning jazz blues and the superlocrian scale over the V chord. It’s really fun and nice. 
    This.
    Plus transcribe solos.

• Not to worry, hopefully be all over for me soon!

What do you mean? 
  • viz said:
    I'm sure it's lovely but not really the direction of music I'd want to go in
    viz said:
    Doesn't matter- it is good to do.
    You can apply it to a lot of things.
  • octatonic said:
    viz said:
    I'm sure you can but it wouldn't work in the kind of simplistic things I like! It sounds more useful to classical but I don't write in that direction any more
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    octatonic said:
    viz said:
    I'm sure you can but it wouldn't work in the kind of simplistic things I like! It sounds more useful to classical but I don't write in that direction any more
    It’s jazz - but fair enough if you don’t want to explore it - I found it opened soooooo many doors for me, playing and listening. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited December 2019
    I have a diverse taste in music. If I’m just noodling around then out come the stock phrases and scales.
    if I’m in genuine creative mode then I mentally slap myself on the wrist if I’m falling into cliches. That might mean - for lead lines - playing chromatically and then ‘tidying it up’ into something more coherent. I also alternate between acoustic one day and electric the next as I find that keeps things fresh for me.
    Getting a looper has helped me a lot in composition and, I think, maybe even forced me into musical areas I didn’t used to go in.
  • viz said:
    octatonic said:
    viz said:
    It’s jazz - but fair enough if you don’t want to explore it - I found it opened soooooo many doors for me, playing and listening. 
    Yeah absolutely but I not that I'm stuck in a rut, it's just bothering me that I can't seem to play what I like to listen to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    I have a diverse taste in music. If I’m just noodling around then out come the stock phrases and scales.
    if I’m in genuine creative mode then I mentally slap myself on the wrist if I’m falling into cliches. That might mean - for lead lines - playing chromatically and then ‘tidying it up’ into something more coherent. I also alternate between acoustic one day and electric the net as I find that keeps things fresh for me.
    Getting a looper has helped me a lot in composition and, I think, maybe even forced me into musical areas I didn’t used to go in.
    But I don't mind the cliches of the styles I like, it's not that I want to create anything new and groundbreaking, what's the point as there are many other people better placed to do that. I'm just looking for some way to either accept that I can only make boring styles of music, find a way of making the music I like, or accept giving up
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    The solution for me is to work within a framework or methodology. Artists do it, writers do it, film directors do it, architects do it, chefs do it, designers do it, photographers do it, so why not guitarists and musicians?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • I don't think there's an answer unfortunately, just another moaning thread
    edited November 2019
    I don't get what you're saying man...

Are you saying "I don't enjoy the things I like to do"
    Because that is anhedonia/depression.

Or are you saying that you can hear stuff in your head or on recordings but don't have the technical ability to play what you want to listen to.

Or that you can't come up with ideas that please you

Or some other thing I am missing?

Genuinely interested likes...

I don't think there's an answer unfortunately, just another moaning thread
    Unfortunately the answer is 'work'.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9703
    edited November 2019
    Sorry I know I'm not being particularly clear.

What I mean is, the music I enjoy (for example White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, or on the other hand Jeff Buckley, Laura Marling), I do not have the ability to do. It's not about work, practice or whatever, but my nature does not allow it. They sing too high for me, so I can't just transpose the guitar for example as the sound I like is the contrast between the two. I can't sing them lower because it sounds crap. Also I can't play the Stripes/YYY stuff by myself as it sounds terrible with only one person singing and accompanying themselves.

I'm adept at making shit boring generic music, that had no punch to it because I have no punch. I cannot practise having oompf. I cannot practise giving a shit enough to have feeling.

Hence, there's no answer, it was a stupid thread I posted whilst bored on a horrible rammed Train journey home and I was hoping it would not be seen not long after I'd pressed "post" as it's just a whinge
    Sorry I know I'm not being particularly clear.

What I mean is, the music I enjoy (for example White Stripes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, or on the other hand Jeff Buckley, Laura Marling), I do not have the ability to do. It's not about work, practice or whatever, but my nature does not allow it. They sing too high for me, so I can't just transpose the guitar for example as the sound I like us the contrast between the two. I can't sing them lower because it sounds crap. Also I can't play the Stripes/YYY stuff by myself as it sounds terrible with only one person singing and accompanying themselves.

I'm adept at making shit boring generic music, that had no punch to it because I have no punch. I cannot practise having oompf. I cannot practise giving a shit enough to have feeling.

Hence, there's no answer, it was a stupid thread I posted whilst bored on a horrible rammed Train journey home and I was hoping it would not be seen not long after I'd pressed "post" as it's just a whinge
    It takes time- it is a lifelong journey.
    I can tell you for a fact that study and work pays off, because I did it.
    Your feeling of not having 'it' is universal- I really mean that- we all feel like that.
    You're in a rut- that is fine- play your way out of it.
    Quitting is not ok.
  • I don't agree, I'm playing "better" now than I ever have. It's just not music I enjoy
    Thanks- I get it now I think. Appreciate the thread, it's a useful discussion.

Sounds like you're just down on yourself musically at the moment. 

Don't think you're alone in feeling that way - there is stuff I love to listen to, but have to accept I can never do because I am not "that person" - it would be fake.

Anyhow...maybe try writing from the POV of someone else. By that I mean, make a narrator, the same way an author will do when writing a novel. Pretend to be someone else for a bit. Can be cheesy as hell, but pick out the good bits and fuse them with existing ideas which are more 'you'. Might come up with something unique.

tbh, sounds like you're just knackered after a week at work!! Time of year doesn't help much either...

Good luck :)