Why don't I like my LP bridge pickup?

What's Hot

Comments

• You mentioned EMGs in your original post. The 81 would do what you want: I used to use 81/60 sets exclusively in my last band, tuned to drop C and they sound ****ing brilliant. The battery is no hassle; as long as you unplug your guitar when you've finished playing it'll last for literally years. Not sure that you can mix active & passive pickups in the same guitar though, so you might need to swap out the neck pickup at the same time - in which case I'd suggest a 60, or another 81.
    Yeah I never really do any cleans or use the neck pickup so I only wanna replace the bridge - unless I take the neck pickup out completely.
    Thinking about it, the neck & bridge pickups have separate volume & tone controls. The EMG needs a stereo jack socket for switching the battery on & off; presumably this would still work with the neck pickup, so there must be a way of doing it...
    Sounds like more hassle than its worth lol, I'd rather just swap out the bridge pickup to be honest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Another BKP to try might be the Black Dog. I had a set in my LP and that was probably my favourite guitar tone I’ve had. They also suggest the BD for heavier styles on their website so could be a good fit. For me it had a bit more character and punch than the Mules, a bit thicker with better attack for single string riffing but still not too hot or mushy. 
    I think they're more for traditional heavy rock or classic styles, not the modern type of metal.

There are 3 choices I have in mind for BKP:

1. Aftermath
    2. Juggernaut
    3. Ragnarok
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2379
    TTBZ said:
    Another BKP to try might be the Black Dog. I had a set in my LP and that was probably my favourite guitar tone I’ve had. They also suggest the BD for heavier styles on their website so could be a good fit. For me it had a bit more character and punch than the Mules, a bit thicker with better attack for single string riffing but still not too hot or mushy. 
    I think they're more for traditional heavy rock or classic styles, not the modern type of metal.

1. Aftermath
    2. Juggernaut
    3. Ragnarok
    Black Dogs are fantastic for metal - I've got them on a PRS SVN playing in progressive death metal band! That said, I don't think they're what you're after; when I was thinking about them, the BKP team described them as "low output modern" rather than vintage hot. Modern voice, vintage output, as it were, which means they've got the aggressive voice but clean up beautifully. 

They're great if you need dynamics and are happy to have to really dig in, but they need a boost for real saturation, and they don't have the low end OOMPH that I think you're after. Those three are much more what you're after, I reckon.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypix said:
    TTBZ said:

1. Aftermath
    2. Juggernaut
    3. Ragnarok
    Black Dogs are fantastic for metal - I've got them on a PRS SVN playing in progressive death metal band! That said, I don't think they're what you're after; when I was thinking about them, the BKP team described them as "low output modern" rather than vintage hot. Modern voice, vintage output, as it were, which means they've got the aggressive voice but clean up beautifully. 

They're great if you need dynamics and are happy to have to really dig in, but they need a boost for real saturation, and they don't have the low end OOMPH that I think you're after. Those three are much more what you're after, I reckon.
    Yes I agree. When I say “metal” I’m more talking about the modern type from 2009 onwards (check the YouTube links for reference). 

Thing is I’m torn between BKP which I like their mid range warmth and clarity and Seymour Duncan’s ballsy low end, that “chock-chock” on the palm mutes and saturation is my thing.
  • You mentioned EMGs in your original post. The 81 would do what you want: I used to use 81/60 sets exclusively in my last band, tuned to drop C and they sound ****ing brilliant. The battery is no hassle; as long as you unplug your guitar when you've finished playing it'll last for literally years. Not sure that you can mix active & passive pickups in the same guitar though, so you might need to swap out the neck pickup at the same time - in which case I'd suggest a 60, or another 81.
    Yeah I never really do any cleans or use the neck pickup so I only wanna replace the bridge - unless I take the neck pickup out completely.
    Thinking about it, the neck & bridge pickups have separate volume & tone controls. The EMG needs a stereo jack socket for switching the battery on & off; presumably this would still work with the neck pickup, so there must be a way of doing it...
    Sounds like more hassle than its worth lol, I'd rather just swap out the bridge pickup to be honest.
    Yeah, I agree. Thinking about it, the Irongear Metal Machines I put in my Charvel were very similar sounding to active pickups, they would do the job too - and they're a lot cheaper than BKP
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• A couple of alternative suggestions.

A change of bridge material might in fact be what you are after. I have tried cold rolled steel (Callaham) and ABM Müller (Bell brass) and both sound quite a bit different from the standard zamak bridge that comes on most Les Pauls, they effectively  revoice the instrument. Though what will specifically work on your guitar might be trial and error. Brass is warmer and fuller sounding, steel offers a tighter/clearer bass and almost extended top end. The Callaham stuff is crazy expensive on this side of the pond so if you were going to pursue it, I would suggest going with ABM Müller, they also offer steel and aluminium. 

Otherwise, you could try changing the tone controls to the G&L passive treble and bass system, the bass cut control in this system is very effective for tightening up the low end. It is also something that can be very cheaply done if you have the soldering skills yourself.

Yeah, I agree. Thinking about it, the Irongear Metal Machines I put in my Charvel were very similar sounding to active pickups, they would do the job too - and they're a lot cheaper than BKP
    I read alot about actives being fizzy and when you down-tune it gets real muddy, but depends on the guitar/amp other factors I guess.

The 2 Seymour Duncan ones I had in mind were the Pegasus and the Invader, Pegasus is lower out put and doesn't sound as fizzy on the low end.

A change of bridge material might in fact be what you are after. I have tried cold rolled steel (Callaham) and ABM Müller (Bell brass) and both sound quite a bit different from the standard zamak bridge that comes on most Les Pauls, they effectively  revoice the instrument. Though what will specifically work on your guitar might be trial and error. Brass is warmer and fuller sounding, steel offers a tighter/clearer bass and almost extended top end. The Callaham stuff is crazy expensive on this side of the pond so if you were going to pursue it, I would suggest going with ABM Müller, they also offer steel and aluminium. 

Otherwise, you could try changing the tone controls to the G&L passive treble and bass system, the bass cut control in this system is very effective for tightening up the low end. It is also something that can be very cheaply done if you have the soldering skills yourself.

A key factor may be the fact I disconnected my bridge tone pot, its given a really hotter signal now and I think with the live set up a little too hot so that harsh high end was evident.

I would presume I'd need to look at reconnecting that and maybe some hardware changes, something has to make a difference to how I want the guitar to sound!

A key factor may be the fact I disconnected my bridge tone pot, its given a really hotter signal now and I think with the live set up a little too hot so that harsh high end was evident.

I would presume I'd need to look at reconnecting that and maybe some hardware changes, something has to make a difference to how I want the guitar to sound!

I tried taking out the tone control out of my Telecaster at some stage because I rarely use it and discovered that even if I rarely used it not having one had an impact on the sound (shifted the resonance peak of the sound higher) and I preferred it with it in there. 

The hardware route is definitely worth exploring, though it might take some experimenting to get what you want. There are a number of factors at play in what gives a guitar it's sound - from the construction, to the materials to the electronics. I have the brass ABM Mueller bridge on an all maple Gretsch, it's a knock out, just the right sound. I bought the bridge off a guy who had gotten it for his 335 and he found it too muddy, now that could have been down to the guitar itself or the pickups or some combination thereof. I had previously had a steel Callaham bridge on there and it had this top end thing that I just didn't like and couldn't dial out otherwise.

I tried taking out the tone control out of my Telecaster at some stage because I rarely use it and discovered that even if I rarely used it not having one had an impact on the sound (shifted the resonance peak of the sound higher) and I preferred it with it in there. 

The hardware route is definitely worth exploring, though it might take some experimenting to get what you want. There are a number of factors at play in what gives a guitar it's sound - from the construction, to the materials to the electronics. I have the brass ABM Mueller bridge on an all maple Gretsch, it's a knock out, just the right sound. I bought the bridge off a guy who had gotten it for his 335 and he found it too muddy, now that could have been down to the guitar itself or the pickups or some combination thereof. I had previously had a steel Callaham bridge on there and it had this top end thing that I just didn't like and couldn't dial out otherwise.
    Yeah that's what I'm experiencing now, the spikey resonance, esp when picking single notes on the higher strings. I too never use it but it might help me to reconnect it again if I go for a Seymour Duncan pickup as they tend to be more high-endy.

There must be something I can change with the hardware to get the guitar to sound how I want, I'm fearing I may have to do a few pickup changes alongside it!
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1287
    edited November 2019
    A couple of alternative suggestions.

Yeah that's what I'm experiencing now, the spikey resonance, esp when picking single notes on the higher strings. I too never use it but it might help me to reconnect it again if I go for a Seymour Duncan pickup as they tend to be more high-endy.

There must be something I can change with the hardware to get the guitar to sound how I want, I'm fearing I may have to do a few pickup changes alongside it!
    There were a brass ABM bridge and tailpiece for sale in the classifieds a while back, might be worth checking out. If excess treble is your problem then I would go brass.

Also regarding pickup changes, you might be surprised. I definitely changed pickups in the past trying to change some fundamental part of a guitar's sound. I found hardware changes to be much more effective, though something that required trial and error as opposed to there being a formula that works for every instrument.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    edited November 2019

There were a brass ABM bridge and tailpiece for sale in the classifieds a while back, might be worth checking out. If excess treble is your problem then I would go brass.

Also regarding pickup changes, you might be surprised. I definitely changed pickups in the past trying to change some fundamental part of a guitar's sound. I found hardware changes to be much more effective, though something that required trial and error as opposed to there being a formula that works for every instrument.
    I think since switching to my home combo amp there's not as much as shrill high end but I'm still unhappy with the sound. Originally when the BKP Aftermath went in the tone pot was connected and it was fine. Even cleans were usable on the bridge. Now its very ice-picky.

And I should know about how much of a difference hardware changes can make, I changed the stock trem block in my Strat and its made all the difference to the sound. On both Les Paul's the tailpiece has been changed for an aluminium one.

For some reason I feel I should be liking BKP over Seymour Duncan but there's something I just like about SD, that high gain type sound. There are characteristics I like about the sound they give.

I think since switching to my home combo amp there's not as much as shrill high end but I'm still unhappy with the sound. Originally when the BKP Aftermath went in the tone pot was connected and it was fine. Even cleans were usable on the bridge. Now its very ice-picky.

And I should know about how much of a difference hardware changes can make, I changed the stock trem block in my Strat and its made all the difference to the sound. On both Les Paul's the tailpiece has been changed for an aluminium one.

For some reason I feel I should be liking BKP over Seymour Duncan but there's something I just like about SD, that high gain type sound. There are characteristics I like about the sound they give.
    There is your answer, reconnect the tone pot. Also, no crime to prefer the SD to the BKP - there is no "best sounding pickup" just ones that sound best in a particular instrument/rig

There is your answer, reconnect the tone pot. Also, no crime to prefer the SD to the BKP - there is no "best sounding pickup" just ones that sound best in a particular instrument/rig
    Yeah I think I will, but will still want to change out that bridge pickup. Its almost as if I should be going along with all the BKP hype, whilst they make really good pickups, I feel like cheating on them by using SD haha.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader

You are hearing the difference between 'hand winding' and machine winding ... machine winding is better for certain types of pickup sound ... it produces a tighter and more pushy bottom end. All BKPs are hand wound as it's their 'USP' 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

You are hearing the difference between 'hand winding' and machine winding ... machine winding is better for certain types of pickup sound ... it produces a tighter and more pushy bottom end. All BKPs are hand wound as it's their 'USP' 
    Ah so basically I need a hybrid of a Juggernaut and a Pegasus haha.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31523
    Although I play a radically different style to the OP, I too find maple topped Les Pauls quite finicky about bridge pickups.

A simple slab of mahogany seems a doddle in comparison, almost anything goes. 
  • If you Like the JB but want something a bit hotter, try an Suhr SSH+
    Absolutely kills in my mates LP in drop C. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • p90fool said:
    Although I play a radically different style to the OP, I too find maple topped Les Pauls quite finicky about bridge pickups.

A simple slab of mahogany seems a doddle in comparison, almost anything goes. 
    Not in my case lol. My guitar is made of mahogany!
  • If you Like the JB but want something a bit hotter, try an Suhr SSH+
    Absolutely kills in my mates LP in drop C. 
    Hmm, searching for sound clips of this! 

Not sure I'd need a hotter pickup than what I already had though, esp if I'm playing in low tunings, though its a similar output to the Invader.