Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Alexa

What's Hot
As a self confessed luddite I was resistant to the demands of Mrs Vampire that we replace the broken firestick as the new version came with the Alexa dohicky that I intended to avoid like the plague.

However...

'Alexa play 80's metal' 

I'm so easily swayed  ;)

'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    I would have one in the house. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Or in my kids case "Alexa do a long wet fart"
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlin said:
    I had a burping competition with Alexa yesterday.  She's the woman I've been waiting for my entire life.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7826
    TheMarlin said:
    I had a burping competition with Alexa yesterday.  She's the woman I've been waiting for my entire life.
    She’s just a server in a data centre. But, I guess she does know everything about you. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • We only use ours as a radio, because it came free with something else. I keep meaning to research more into them as to how intruding it is even just using it to play Classic FM. Use Chromecast into the TV for playing Spotify or Youtube as the sound is way nicer, but I suppose there's probably even intrusion from that.

At half time at the football, they have a competition where somebody kicks a ball to a target and depending on where it lands, you either win an Echo Dot or a Boilerman Air Freshener. I've more need for the air freshener...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    ... I'm a murderer...

oh sorry, Alexa, not Aisha...
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11746
    ...seriously though.

I love the Echo speakers, I've got four dotted around the house, all picked up in Amazon's various sales.

Easy access to Spotify and Radio, and one is a "Show 5" now, so I can use it as a bedside alarm clock.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • We've got a Google mini we were given in the kitchen. I think it's fair to say it struggles with my accent. And if I say Okay Google it also sets my phone off. 
    It's fine and good for setting alarms when cooking but I'm not sure it's transforming my life.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • The intrusion issue is a concern if I continue to adopt the technology but really, have any secrets survived the internet?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I have no interest in that stuff personally, nor do I ever want a car telling me where to go. I realised some time ago that I am 'out of the loop' of life.

I has been left behind.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11570
    tFB Trader

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    I have no interest in that stuff personally, nor do I ever want a car telling me where to go. I realised some time ago that I am 'out of the loop' of life.

I has been left behind.
    Your statement described me approximately 52 hours ago.

Now however...
  • Paul7926Paul7926 Frets: 227
    I'm really not convinced how useful they are.  Step daughter has one and it's used to set alarms for when she is cooking.  I know I'm old but I just look at a clock, add the required number of minutes and remember to check.  <shrugs>

I'm not a Luddite,  I've worked in IT as a programmer all my life but as yet I can't really see what use they are. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul7926 said:
    I'm really not convinced how useful they are.  Step daughter has one and it's used to set alarms for when she is cooking.  I know I'm old but I just look at a clock, add the required number of minutes and remember to check.  <shrugs>

I'm not a Luddite,  I've worked in IT as a programmer all my life but as yet I can't really see what use they are. 
    I agree with this, though I use the timer on the oven. Likewise with playing music, Chromecast seems a much better product as you can then just use nicer sounding hifi. For the question asking etc, just use google search, nice and easy. Has always seemed like a box of solutions looking for a problem to me. 
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Paul7926 said:

They are certainly useful for some people with disabilities. I've known people with learning disabilities, visual impairments or conditions like arthritis be able to use them for stuff they otherwise struggle with. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited November 2019

Is it an offence to intimidate Alexa with misogynstic, sexually and racially discrinatory language? Asking for a friend.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    We seem to be going backwards, years ago Hi Fi was actually desirable and some people spent fortunes getting it. We got to CDs and ever since seem to be taking retrograde steps on both media and reproduction systems.
    I'm capable of setting reminders and alarms on my cheap android, my life is not so complicated that I need or even desire that sort of help with daily tasks.
    The security thing on networked devices concerns me greatly, many of the 'wonderful' hardware upgrades and software enhancements in recent years have been found wanting in the security stakes. In some cases just the database being compromised, but we have no REAL control over that content once we have ticked the box saying we have read 22 pages of small print legal terms and conditions.
    I don't have any banking on my mobile devices either, that may be a pain, but being in control is how I want to be.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Paul7926 said:

They are certainly useful for some people with disabilities. I've known people with learning disabilities, visual impairments or conditions like arthritis be able to use them for stuff they otherwise struggle with. 
    Yeah I probably should of said "I can't really see what use they are to me, at the moment."  I can appreciate that if it makes anyone's life easier then they have a purpose.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Paul7926 said:

This is what microwaves are for, aren't they?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:
    Paul7926 said:

This is what microwaves are for, aren't they?
    You see I don't really 'get' microwaves either.  I prefer food cooked in an oven rather than nuked in a box.  It's probably better in terms of resource usage to nuke it as it's quicker but for actual cooking I can't figure out how to use one.  Perhaps I should retract my "I'm not a Luddite" comment after all.  :)